Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

08 disco 3 won't start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Oz Brown

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
08 disco 3 won't start

Got a disco 3 that won't start. I've run out of ideas now and desperately need some help. It fires but won't pick up and run.
Got 5 psi supply to HPFP
Got 48Mpa in the fuel rails during cranking.
No errors being shown on diagnostic tool.
Firing and smoke out the back but won't run.
Any of you clever guys got any ideas.

Post #199341320th Oct 2018 3:41 pm
Sea Raider

What diagnostic tool are you using?

Post #199341520th Oct 2018 3:43 pm
Oz Brown

scan tool is I car soft. landrover/jaguar specific.
I just managed to start it after much cranking. I bought it as a non runner. The previous owner had changed the High pressure pump and it didn't fix it so he swapped the injectors. The high pressure pump he had fitted was no good so i fitted another one. Had good fuel pressure with the new pump but still wouldn't start. When i checked the injectors he had fitted they were the wrong part number. The engine is a euro 4 spec not euro 3 and the original injectors in it had a part number that ended with C?. The ones he had fitted ended in A?. So he sent me the old injectors he's taken out and I've refitted them. A reputable landrover spares guy told me that all of the injectors were the same, but I'm not so sure. When I fitted the old injectors back in, it was firing but wouldn't run. In the end i took the air inlet off and stuck a heat gun down it, and it started. It ran really rough on 3 cylinders but at least it was running. On the diagnostics i was getting injector timing errors on all injectors. Switched it off and restarted it and it now sounds like it's on all 6 cylinders and no injector timing errors. I don't know if the ECU had to relearn something about the injectors, but I've now got No errors, and it seems to run ok. I'll see what happens when it's cold. Suspect some of the glow plugs are probably not working.

Post #199345420th Oct 2018 5:36 pm
Oz Brown

Does anyone know if these Discoveries are susceptible to cam sensor problems. I'm getting P0341 errors which is cam sensor. I've fitted another secondhand sensor but still getting the same error. Connector looks clean. I noticed there is quiet a bit of movement in the sensor bolt hole so this will change the air gap on the sensor depending on where it is positioned when you tighten the bolt. I've tried it at both ends of the hole but still no difference. Any ideas.

Post #199358721st Oct 2018 10:53 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Cam sensor fault on an 08 car? I'd be checking the belt tensioner and/or oil pump...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #199359021st Oct 2018 11:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Oz Brown

So Glad to get a reply from you. I've seen your inputs on other issues. Hope you can assist with this one. I checked the cam timing about a week ago, as it had been apart just before I had the car. Timing looked good. I had it running this morning, but the starting is not good. I think it's got glow plug issues and this cam sensor issue. The biggest issue for me is the cam sensor because without the cam sensor sinking with the crank there is No injection. If this was sorted at least i could get it running and then start to look at the glow plugs. Maybe I'm unlucky and both the sensors I've got are faulty, Any ideas

Post #199359421st Oct 2018 11:35 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If the belt is still intact, you will need to remove the starter, lock the flywheel, and recheck timing that way. It will start and run as much as 1 tooth out either way

Failing that, you may find you have an issue with the cam/crank synchronisation, whether it's a wiring fault, sensor fault or trigger fault...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #199360521st Oct 2018 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds like you still have a timing issue! I would recommend you align everything again with timing tools to eliminate this possibility before going any further.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #199360621st Oct 2018 12:45 pm
Oz Brown

ill check the timing again, but i've done a few of these and never had an issue before. I'll also order another cam sensor just to be sure i haven't got two duff ones.
I don;t know what the history of the crank trigger wheel is on the back of the crank. If this was fitted slightly out of position would this throw the same error, although if this was out it wouldn't have started yesterday I suppose.

Post #199360921st Oct 2018 12:54 pm
Oz Brown

Bit of an update on the Discovery that wouldn't start. I ordered another cam sensor just to be sure that i hadn't got two faulty ones. Sensor arrived and i fitted it. Same error showing a cam sensor error. I was 100% sure that the cam timing was right. I've been building Race engines for years so I check and double check and don't normally mess things like that up. So i concluded that although the cam timing was right, if the trigger wheel on the back of the crank was fitted incorrectly or was loose then you would get the same error as the cam would be out of the window allowed for the cam and crank sensor to sink. Also it wouldn't start as the injection timing is all controlled from the rear trigger on the crank. So I elected to pull the engine out and have a look. Sure enough the trigger is 14 degrees out of position and is loose on the crank. Just hope the crank is still okay, but think it should be. Has anyone else seen these trigger wheels come loose? To be honest it's a rubbish design. Not much interference, and if you aren't very careful you can distort them when you push them on even with the special tool.

Post #199580128th Oct 2018 4:59 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well at least you now know where the problem lies, every day is a school day!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #199586228th Oct 2018 8:37 pm
Oz Brown

Got the engine all back in. New crank trigger wheel. A set of glow plugs. Another turbo and a set of big end shells just for good measure. The engine started first turn of the key and sounds perfect. it runs better than my 2010 range rover sport. I can't believe how well the 2.7 goes. The only problem I've got is that the gearbox seems to be constantly shifting up and down when you are driving. When you are going at a reasonable speed you can see the rev counter going up and down by about 3 or 400 rpm. I've read that these issues can be addressed by changing the oil and filter in the box. Is it a big job?

Post #199967111th Nov 2018 7:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >