Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

10/10 so far!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JimmyP

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
10/10 so far!

We've just got back from 18 days in Cornwall with the D3 and our 1300kg Bailey caravan.

I have to say that after 6 years towing that was the most relaxed shed-dragging experience I've ever had! The D3 didn't miss a beat with the van or without it. There was no caravan-generated rocking/see-sawing motion I occasionally felt in the CR-V nor did I feel the effects of HGV "bow waves" as I passed them - or when they passed me.

And as for handling a family of 5 on an 18 day holiday, the D3 was brilliant. The kids are 11, 9 and 2 so there is a fair bit of gear to lug around but it was all swallowed up. Crabbing nets and buckets, fishing rods and tackle boxes, 3 bodyboards, wetsuits, wellies and waterproofs (neither of which were needed, happily!), pushchair, picnic bags....the list goes on but it all vanished in the cavernous boot under the luggage cover. I think we managed to bring half the sand from Constantine Bay home with us too.....

While my wife doesn't usually appreciate cars and their features, I'm sure she was sub-consciously thankful for the air suspension when I had to take her from St Austell to Truro Hospital after she broke her wrist, but that's another story!

Couldn't be happier with it at the moment, can't wait to go to the Lakes in October.

Post #115007530th Aug 2013 3:52 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have to agree, this summer has been fantastic, and just what we needed. Sorry to hear about your wife's misfortune, hope it didn't ruin her holiday too much.

We just spent 12 days in North Norfolk in the caravan, and it was just perfect.

Post #115008530th Aug 2013 4:20 pm
JimmyP

Cheers Gareth and no, it didn't ruin the holiday completely as it happened two days before we came home.

I know there are plenty of other cars out there that can seat 5 people but I think the D3 with its 'proper' rear middle seat makes a hell of a difference, especially when spending 4 - 5 hours in the car and there is a car seat alongside it.

I only picked the car up a week before we went but the narrow lanes of Trevose Head went a long way to helping me gauge the width of the car!

Post #115009730th Aug 2013 4:37 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Now what you mean about Trevose Head had to breath in a couple of times. Sorry to hear about SWMBO hope you had a good time all the same.

Pic of my D3 at said head Thumbs Up

Andy

PS welcome to the fold
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #115013130th Aug 2013 6:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JimmyP

Thanks for the welcome Andy. Superb photos BTW!

Yes, we had a great time overall despite the accident. We love it down there, stayed at Higher Harlyn last year and Trewince this year and will be going back next year.

Post #115013430th Aug 2013 6:49 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's a lovely part of the country. Stayed at Padstow the last 2 years. But think it would be a bit of a drag (no pun intended) with the tintent from Liverpool.

Any photos of your setup.

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH

Post #115014030th Aug 2013 6:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Great to hear JimmyP, glad you like the D3. Last time I was in Constantine (2007) it rained and it rained, SWMBO won't go again Crying or Very sad I love it down in Cornwall. Don't forget to get some green lanes in when your in the lakes. Thumbs Up
 Mantec sump guard.
Prospeed tree slider/steps.
Flack duel battery system.
18"Compomotive/AT3 tyres
Brembo 4pot front brakes 

Post #115017430th Aug 2013 8:13 pm
JimmyP

Andy - sorry, didn't take any photos this time but I'll be sure to take a few when we're in Bowness in October.

Biskit - should be brave enough by then to give green-laning a go!

Post #115046931st Aug 2013 2:10 pm
Andy Foster

Where you staying in Bowness. We are in Fallbarrow in September. Have a go of Hard Knot pass. Not a green lane but well worth the drive Thumbs Up

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH

Post #115047831st Aug 2013 2:26 pm
JimmyP

We're off to Fallbarrow too. We love the site - not too big (despite all the statics/lodges), ideal to walk into Bowness and catch a boat up/down/across Windermere and the kids enjoy the park on site too - this'll be the 4th October half-term there on the spin!

I've just seen the pics of Hardknot Pass - looks interesting, will have to give it a go!

Post #11512872nd Sep 2013 11:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >