Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

18 inch or 19 inch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
GP

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your thoughts Rob. I think the 18 inch style 1 does suit the angular shape of the disco.

Do you have any other tips for the prospective buyer of a TDV6 S? What has the quality control been like? I'm not expecting perfection - just an improvement from LR.

Gareth

Post #887028th Jul 2005 11:18 pm
BN

England 

OK, enough, now I have to say that there is more option for off road tyres in 19" in the UK than 18" or the silly 17" which is useless.

However, there is a lot of talk about the skinny 20" and 22" wheels. Be careful guys, they may not carry the legal WEIGHT for the vehicle. We are talking about a vehicle that weighs nearly 2.7 tonnes. Skinny wheels may not be allowed to be put on a vehicle that heavy.

I have expressed concern before and I express it again. Check the tyre for weight ratings. http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_tyres.htm

Do not overload your tyres. Driving on any overloaded tyre is dangerous.

The maximum load rating of your tyres is marked on the tyre sidewall. Do not exceed these ratings. Tyres which are loaded beyond their maximum allowable loads for the particular application will build up excessive heat that may result in sudden tyre destruction.

Do not exceed the gross axle weight ratings for any axle on your vehicle. Consult the vehicle placard (you will find this under the bonnet at the front) and/or vehicle owners manual to determine the gross axle weight rating. Following the loading instructions of the vehicle manufacturer should insure that your tyres are not overloaded.

If you are replacing the original size tyres with tyres of a different size, the replacement tyres must have a load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the original equipment tyres.

Changing wheels and tyres is a very serious decision.

Post #887228th Jul 2005 11:36 pm
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As one who has the 17" wheels, I agree they do make the D3 look underwheeled, but having driven the 18" the 17s give a smoother ride. (More rubber). I now will be looking for 18s as, reading the posts, I feel inadequate. It's that old addage "does size matter?"

Post #887429th Jul 2005 1:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Tyre Law

A little explanation on tyre law to help.

Under the bonnet at the front above the grill is a small black plastic plate giving the vehicle plating details. i.e. its carrying capacity. It reads as such

3230 kg Gross vehicle kerbside weight. That means all up weight, including fuel passengers and baggage
6730 kg Gross train weight. i.e vehicle with trailer, absolute maximum
1) 1450 kg max weight on front axle
2) 1875 kg max weight on rear axle

These are vehicle manufacturers figures NOT government approved, which often are LOWER.

Now look at the tyres you have as original fitment.

They in the case of 18" wheels read the following:

M&S Mud & Snow
255x60xR18 Think that bit is self explanitory
112 V The 112 is the load (1120 kg per tyre) and the V is speed 150 MPH

The combined total weight for one axle with 18" standard tyres is 2240 kg, but remember that the rear axle is rated to 1875 kg. This means that there is a spare 365 kg on the rear axle. On the front no probs for normal use.

To sum up, it means that if you look at the load index on your tyre (18" 112 V) you should have an absolute minimum of 106V or you break the law and risk your life.

Hope this helps.

Post #888029th Jul 2005 8:43 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The other tips for the prospective buyer of a TDV6 S is to seriously consider geting leather seats. Its the only option we wish we had taken on the S.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #888129th Jul 2005 9:19 am
Pelyma

England 

BN what tyres are available for 19"?

Smarticus, leather isn't an option it is only on SE & HSE when I bought mine, although you can get it after market leathered, where colour options are limitless unlike LRs 3 choices Crying or Very sad
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #888229th Jul 2005 9:36 am
BN

England 

Pelyma at the moment tyre choice in the UK is virtually nil. Also wheels because of their fit and rating is virtually nil. I am looking into it as you are aware. Another problem we came across yesterday is that the 19" RR wheel we tried only has a 900kg rating, which per axle is 75kg too low.

I assume you are speaking of M&S or MTR's of course. In six months time we know there will be some MTR's, but until then ones in Australia and various other countries do not comply always to our regs.

I also have serious doubts about the 'skinny' wheels and tyres. I think they only have a rating of 101, which of course is dangerous and illegal. Untill I see an actual wheel and tyre I don't know.

If anyone with 'skinny wheels and tures' can send me the tyre data and the rim data, located on the inside of the wheel it would be great.

Post #888329th Jul 2005 9:45 am
alan.e.evans

Hi GP, Just a word of warning make sure that the TDV6S is what it sets out to be and not a TDV6 base which has been incorrectly badged within the factory as happened to me, it took a lot of threats of bad press and three weeeks of waiting to receive the car with the correct spec. now the proud owner of a adriatic blue TDV6S which looks the part. silly little things have gone wrong . trim lifting from the SIDE OF THE WINDSCREEN A POST, WARNING LIGHT AMBER TELLING ME THAT THE PARK BRAKE HAS A FAULT , All of which as been dealt with by my dealership. this saturday ofF to enjoy the site at EASTNOR CASTLE OFF ROADING WITH THE TEAM FROM LANDROVER. REGARDS AE
 OWNER OF A TDV6S 05 PLATE  
Post #889329th Jul 2005 11:45 am
GP

United Kingdom 

Hi Alan

Thanks for the word of warning. Enjoy the weekend.

Gareth (GP)

Post #889729th Jul 2005 12:21 pm
gilmore

England 

Just a follow up on Smarticus' comment about leather seats. I agree. I would have spend 1500 or so on leather. However, it was not an option (in January when I got mine) on an S and is only available as part of the normal spec on SE and HSE. I just checked the "build your own vehicle" on the landrover website and I think this is still true. I choked at paying about 5 grand extra for leather and a sat nav I don't want/need, so I made do with cloth seats.
I would specify roof rails.
regs
rob

Post #894930th Jul 2005 12:59 am
Pelyma

England 

Exmoor trim are doing a leathering 8) service as are other smaller upholsterers and then you can get the colour you want, not what LR deem you to have!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #902531st Jul 2005 10:23 am
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
Exmoor trim are doing a leathering 8) service as are other smaller upholsterers and then you can get the colour you want, not what LR deem you to have!

If any one wants leather trim from Exmoor Trim, let me know we could get a little discount as I know the MD. I have seen the D3 and it is very nice.

Post #902731st Jul 2005 1:14 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Do Exmoor take the current S seat and re-upholser it with leather, or do the modify the seat (thinking of the back ache problems with the S seat as standard)?

Would it be an option to just get the front seats in leather (in a colour that complements the back seats) - it's just my little one is still insisting on being sick all over the back seats (twice on Saturday, being on each leg of a return day trip to Wales). Crying or Very sad

Also can you give some indication of the price (without any discount), via PM if necessary.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #903131st Jul 2005 2:19 pm
BN

England 

Coffeecup wrote:
Do Exmoor take the current S seat and re-upholser it with leather, or do the modify the seat (thinking of the back ache problems with the S seat as standard)?

Would it be an option to just get the front seats in leather (in a colour that complements the back seats) - it's just my little one is still insisting on being sick all over the back seats (twice on Saturday, being on each leg of a return day trip to Wales). Crying or Very sad

Also can you give some indication of the price (without any discount), via PM if necessary.

Exmoor retrim the whole set of seats. Just doing the front would be odd if you have material I think. Re the mods, yes they are doing this for me via Land Rover. Once done, you can all benefit, just wait a little while longer, not finished the project yet. Land Rover a bit slow, holidays, committees you know what I mean.

Post #903431st Jul 2005 3:43 pm
Keith Walshe

Smarticus wrote:
The extra rubber on the 18inch soaks up the rock steps far better than a 19" with far less chance of expensive rim damage. We used to have a TD5 disco with ACE, which could also corner prety well but every bump rattled your fillings and I avoided most offroad stretches to save on chiropractors bills.

I took it one step further - I did a deal with the deraler for him to repalce the 18 inch / Pirelli slicks on my SE with 17 inch + Cooper S/T at no cost. I suspect he will sell the 18inch to some one buying a base model. But I get greater rubber height (equals a greater footprint when deflated for sand) and a good A/T tread which I have had in the rough on 2 occasions now.

Post #91431st Aug 2005 8:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >