Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

18 inch tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Andycapper

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Martin Krutli wrote:

Having been exttremely happy with the set I had on the Pajero it will be interesting to see how they go on the heavier, more powerful Disco. I've been invited to join the Toyota LC clubs Easter 'hit out' in the (Victorian) Pyrenees doing some good challenging tracks, so I'll have some more insight after that - so far most of my use (2.5k Km's) has been on-road, so everything is still very virginal:)
Cheers,
Martin

Hi Martin,

I have been speaking to Matt Frost (from ARB) he also spoke favourably of the BFG tyres you have but having had them on his Discovery and seeing your entry, he expressed some concern and I thought it might be helpful to relay his comments:

BF Goodrich make great tyres. I led a 2 week Outback trip last year, and all ten vehicles were running BFG mud or all terrains. We covered 5,000 off road kilometres and suffered only one, easily repairable puncture. But unfortunately the gent who has purchased 265/65 R18s (for the Disco 3) is going to be in for a bit of a shock on his next Outback trip. They work fine around town, and in the rough stuff with the vehicle in an elevated position they're good also. But the back ones foul at normal ride height. The problem occurs on whoopdy do's (which the Outback is full of - ie. Broken Hill - Silverton road). Front ones will foul also if the car is pushed a little hard. Someone else was driving my Disco and hit a bit of a wash out on a dirt track. The left hand tyre slammed into the inner guard, snapping off the brake pad sensor.

You may have already considered the issue raised but if not hope this helps avoid any problems in your off-roading.

All the best,

Andy
 Have my new year Disco..! Atacama Sand, active diff, active headlights, hi-ice, cooler, sliding loadspace floor, window tint, MP3, Mantec plate, roof rails, mud  
Post #24286310th Jan 2008 6:46 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
18 in Tyres

Interesting feedback and thanks for that Andy. There is not a large amount of clearance, but certainly I've never heard them touch over any undulations at speed on the bitumen. There certainly appears to be enough room. We can but wait and see.
Cheers.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #24289910th Jan 2008 10:59 am
vito

I just ordered the Vredestein Wintrac 4 xtreme 255/60 R18. Just released from the nederland tyre-maker, Giugiaro design, five star score from the Auto Bild test. Actually, they are marked as winter tyres, but can be used all seasons.
What do you think.
Bye Vito Very Happy

Post #24318410th Jan 2008 8:37 pm
Andycapper

Hi Vito,

Thanks for the suggestion but not aware of any supplier in Australia and know nothing about Vredestein Wintrac 4 xtreme 255/60 R18 - though they look like a type not unlike the Yokohamas.

I wonder if, given comments by others, these tyres would need to be a soft compound to work well as a winter tyre and that might make them wear badly as a straight off-road tyre - especially in Oz conditions...?

All the best,

Andy
 Have my new year Disco..! Atacama Sand, active diff, active headlights, hi-ice, cooler, sliding loadspace floor, window tint, MP3, Mantec plate, roof rails, mud  
Post #24342911th Jan 2008 1:51 am
karojo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I replaced the standard tyres upon delivery with the Cooper HT Plus in 265/60R18 and have been extremely impressed. Admittedly, I'm rarely offroad, however have done Stockton, Fraser and a variety of other light offroad destinations without any issues.

They are very quiet (no noticable difference from stock) look barely worn after 15k, perform well on road in wet and dry conditions and I like the look of the slightly larger footprint.

My 2c.
Ross.

Post #24346411th Jan 2008 9:05 am
Andycapper

Hi Karojo,

Thanks for the comments on the Cooper HT Plus - first I've seen. Given the wear issues, I am leaning towards either the Coopers you have or the GGAT2s... would be interested to know if anyone else has given the Cooper HT Plus an offroad workout - and with what impressions.

In the Cooper booklet it looks like a non aggressive on-road tread, what is it like in the flesh ?

Did you get the dealer to do a changeover? if so, if you don't mind my asking, what did they charge for the exchange - and how long ago?

I saw someone else had an exchange (I forget what for...) for around $500...

All the best,

Andy
Post #24347611th Jan 2008 9:33 am
karojo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Have uploaded a couple of cropped photos showing the Coopers on my D3 to my gallery - hopefully you can get an idea from those. I agree that the tread is non-aggresive (far better than the OEM though), however my needs were for a tyre to perform well on road with occasional offroading.

I didn't bother involving the dealer as it all seemed too difficult at the time. I literally picked the D3 up at Alto in Artarmon and drove it 500 metres to a 4x4 tyre dealer and had the Coopers put on. I then sold the original tyres privately. I think I lost about $300 on the exchange which given the price and availability of the OEM Wranglers seemed good value - I had heard of quite a few people doing sidewalls on the Wranglers and the Coopers should give me twice the mileage based on current observations.

Hope that helps.

Post #24350311th Jan 2008 10:35 am
stevo68

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I guess it is horses for courses and what your driving intentions are. I would say for most mild off road, there is a reasonable range of tyres. If you want to get into the harder off road area, then it is limited atm. I have AT2's and have had them close to 9 mths now. On road I find them great, noise not an issue, handling in dry and wet, no problem. Off road, they made a huge difference over the OEM,s though they are still low profile and this is where the issues lie...for me anyhow. I tackle some pretty tough terrain

Sorry for poor pic quality

Click image to enlarge

and where I have had issues and other LR's havent, have been the tyres. Airing down and doing rocky tracks, ruts etc the rims are copping a hammering and doesnt have the same tread as say an MT on a 16inc rim. Even with TR and TC, the D3 scrambled whereas some of the modified vehicles calmly went up the same track. Nothing to do with lift, but purely the tyre. I am waiting to see if the new BFG MT;s are going to come in a suitable size for the 18's, if only LR came up with software that would allow the D3 to stay at off road over 50kms to say 80kms, then a larger tyre wouldnt be an issue. On this particular trip where the photo was taken, a small tear was made, didnt find out till doing 110kms on the trip back, it went pear shaped after tha..in short jack collapsed, car hits the deck, saved by a mate, finally got home.

So yes for on road and reasonable off road, AT2's are great, for harder terrain, you will still get up there but struggle more due to the low pofile. And as I read somewhere, aired down over long periods could cause an issue a well. Great bloody car, frickin tyres are a pain. Will be going to look into the BFG' mentioned with the higher sidewal then see if anything can be done to trick suspension to stay at off road height for longer journies in the future,

Regards

Stevo

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 2005 D3 HSE V8, General Tire AT2 255/55/R18, Kaymar Rear Bar and Wheel Carrier
Off Road: http://server1.pictiger.com/albums/563/ormeau-hills/ 

Post #24467814th Jan 2008 6:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >