Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

1st Post !.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Cocker

1st Post !.

Hi, just found the site so thought i'd post my experiences so far....

Took delivery of my new S on 20/12/04. Over the moon but it packed it within 24hrs....LR Assistance told me I had a claim to fame...that my car was the first Disco3 in Britain to break down(according to their UK records), that really cheered me up !?!....Anyway, LR Recovery told by LR not to even try to fix, return to dealer. Turns out problem was down to some loose servo connection behind dash and dealer fixed. To be fair, the dealer, Penland LR in EDH, were falling over themselves to look after me(so they should !).... They gave me one of their demonstrators to use while mine was being investigated/fixed, which was over the Christmas hols, and they arranged to upgrade my Half-Day LR Experience to the full day for myself & my girlfriend. Not bad of them I suppose.....As far as I'm concerned, these things happen and, when they do, all you can expect is to be treated well, and I have, so I'm still happy with the new car. Had a couple of BMW's previously so LR have a lot to live up to Customer Service-wise !!. So far so good......

Since then everything has been great. Must admit tho, the pre-heat function perplexed me, thought I was doing something wrong as I didn't think the cabin was that warm in the mornings ! DOH. After reading the relevant Posts on here i'm just about to try the 'Radio On' solution.... But can't believe there's a possibility the function might be taken away at the next service, completely out of order !. What's the latest on this by the way.....?.

Looking forward to visiting the site regularly....

Cheers for now,
Cocker.

Post #65410th Feb 2005 3:50 am
alowson

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Good to hear

Cocker,

Great to here that Pentland Land Rover are looking after you.

Before I move all the way downunder to Australia at the tail end of 2002 I purchased my last Disco II through them, great bunch of guys.

I have ordered a TDV6 HSE over here in Aus but we have not even seen one yet, meant to be having a test drive at the weekend.

Currently got a ML270 and can't wait to change over as the Mercedes dealers here are pretty bad customer service, saying that customer service in Australia is not a lot of the time a concept many people understand. Very Happy

Have fun with the Off-Road day, at least you can dent there Disco 3 instead of damaging yours.

Andrew

Post #65510th Feb 2005 5:13 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nice one, its good to hear some good dealer stories! Maybe we should all go there for our servicing??? (Lovely place Edinburgh).

The FBH issue is ongoing, I have a contact from 'within the dark zone' who is helping me out. I thought that only the HSE had the heater? you say yours in an S, so did you specify it as an option?

If yours was the first to break down, mine must have been the second!! Mine packed up on new years day! Suspension Fault, same as mwillems posts. (He's had it a few times now), mine has not reccured.

Post #65710th Feb 2005 9:16 am
Cocker

Yeah mine is an 'S' but, while going through the vehicle overview at the dealer, I was shown how to pre-heat/pre-cool the cabin. The option is there in the 'Settings' Menu and the instrument light for the heater functions as well so I presume it is present on the 'S'. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's listed in the standard features for the 'S' as well.....

Also, I tried the work-around, leaving the radio on, but no joy. The radio turned itself off. I'm trying it with the CD turned on just now !.

And lastly....I can't seem to see the Service Level Indicator display. It doesn't show-up when I turn the ignition on and I can't seem to get the info by pressing the button within 5 seconds of switching on ?.

Anyone any ideas ?.

Post #71814th Feb 2005 6:03 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you will find the service indicator is a phantom also!

Nobody I have spoken too knows anything about it. I think the author of the book got his "Land" and "Range" editions mixed up on this one.

Post #72714th Feb 2005 9:20 pm
Cocker

Deary dear, more software gremlins !.

This is the first car I've bought that is from the first production run, I've always bought my new cars at least 12 months after they've been launched. Are all the problems I'm experiencing, and reading about on here, common in early production vehicles or is it LR specific ?.

I've just tried the Cabin Pre-heat again, this time with the CD left on, and no joy again. The heater indicator light flashes when I turn the ignition off, to advise the pre-heat has been set, but the heater doesn't kick-in at the expected time.

This is really frustrating, a really great feature of the car, but it won't work !!. Hopefully some good news on here soon re a fix !?!?!.

Post #72914th Feb 2005 9:40 pm
Ecosse

Cabin pre-heater is just one of many ites on my "snagging" list that LR are supposed to be dealing with over the next days - interestingly the dealer has a Disco3 loan car booked for me, rather sounds as if LR are attempting to diffuse any owner dissatisfaction! LR's own technical guys are supposed to be liasing with the dealer so I'll post back on progress! Wink

Post #73014th Feb 2005 10:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cocker

Just confirm to yourself that your car has this heater, Open the bonnet, and look down in the front left hand corner, just behind where you fill the windscreen washers. It looks like an oblong silver sandwich tin, with a small exhaust and silencer visible. It will have a Webasto manufacturers badge on it.

Post #73314th Feb 2005 10:38 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Cocker,

I also have an S but no settings menu. I was told its not an S feature and if present (by mistake) the settings wont 'take' if you change them. Also the dealer will disable the setting menu when you take it in.

Do me a favour... try and set the drive away door locking and see if it 'sticks'

I'm told it won't. If it does I'll re-contact my dealer and let them know it does work and I want my settings menu !

Cheers,

-s

Post #73515th Feb 2005 6:52 am
Griff

Settings menu was not visible on my vehicle either! But a 10 minute software mod undertaken by the dealer got it to work no problem. No problem either with the settings taking: door locking, mpg/kmh, temp C or F etc - all work perfectly. Fuel burning heater (+ pre cool) settings however, well that's a different story!! As with everyone else, it appears to set ok - but radio on, radio off, same outcome - FBH light flashes but it doesn't work at the assigned time, even on sub-zero mornings! Nevertheless, I know 100% that the FBH is functioning properly as it regularly kicks in when staring on very cold mornings, the aroma and wheelarch-emitted fumes being the telltale signs!

Post #74215th Feb 2005 5:09 pm
Cocker

The Plot Thickens eh....

My Settings menu was there from the start and I can change everything without any problems, including the Auto-Lock for the doors. However, as with everyone else my Pre-Heat doesn't work...even with radio/cd on !.

And yeah, checked this morning...my Webasto heater is definitely there !.

Post #74315th Feb 2005 5:33 pm
simon

Guys,

Thanks for the info.

I'll 'update' my dealer again and see what happens. Does anyone have a contact at LR so I can get a definitive answer from them on this ?

Cheers,

-s

Post #74515th Feb 2005 6:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This is the address to write to.

Land Rover UK
Customer Relationship Centre
Browns Lane
Allesley
Coventry
CV5 9DR

I sent my letter about the FBH to this dept, and got a written reply, followed up by emails and phone calls between myself and someone who was in direct contact with Jaguar Engineering, who seem to do the electronics development for LR.

I suggest you keep your letter short and to the point, and butter them up a bit, i.e. don't complain too much initially! just explain that your dealer seems to be very un-helpful on this issue, and that you would be most grateful of their assistance.

Whilst I was initially encouraged by their enthusiasm to help me, and indeed they asked me for specific instructions on "how to make the FBH light up with the radio trick" I am now getting a bit naffed off with the time its taking for a conclusion to come back to me, and the fact that they have stopped replying to my emails. So I will be writing another letter very shortly to wake them up again.

Failing this, you could always talk direct to Cockers dealer!

Post #74615th Feb 2005 7:02 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Fair enough to give the Customer Service people a chance, but for those who are getting a little ticked off with issues which are not being satisfactorily resolved I suggest a letter to:

Mr. J. Greenwell
Chief Executive Officer
Land Rover Ltd.
Banbury Road
GAYDON
CV35 0RR

with a copy to the Managing Director of your dealership.

Post #74815th Feb 2005 7:28 pm
simon

Again thanks...

I'll give my dealer another chance to answer.

I also checked in the engine bay and I can see the metal sandwich tin described above... FBH I assume. No label but looks as described.

If anyone can photo their FBH I can double check that it actually is in there ! Again I am told that its not on the 'S'.

Never got to use it though as the settings menu is off on holiday. But then I guess i"d be peeved because the settings don't work eh ???

My dealer (Shukers in Ludlow) are very helpful and are always keen to get things pushed through. In the past they have replaced parts in my Freelander due to design faults that LR have been difficult over. I think LR are the ones that don't really help the dealers.

Lets see what transpires...

-s

Post #74915th Feb 2005 8:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >