Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

2 weeks and 1200 miles in my TDV6HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
philtb

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
2 weeks and 1200 miles in my TDV6HSE

So 700 miles of motorway and rest short runs and town driving…..including 80 horrible miles in London centre (took 6 hours) what have I found?

Comfort wise – excellent except for the non adjustable headrests……but I have managed to find a position that allowed 10 hours in the seat yesterday with no pain.

Average of 21.5mpg….was expecting higher considering motorway miles but barn door aerodynamics and speeds plod would not be impressed by probably contributed to that.

Think the wheel alignment is out car pulling to one side strongly and rubbing already visible on edge of front tire.

Bonnet Catches – as you look at the car the left hand catch, while it locks, allows probably 6-8mm of movement when shut. This results bonnet shacking at speed, most noticeable around the washer jets. Also if you let you speed get up to and over 90mph a very visible dent can be seen where this catch is located as the bonnet is trying to fly upwards, anyway to adjust it? In my past I once had a bonnet fly up on a motorway, smashed windscreen wrapped round roof and smashed sunroof…..not something id like to repeat.

Xenon’s – my biggest gripe with the car…..absolutely terrible especially compared to other xenon equipped cars I’ve owned which I’m hoping will be a fault with them, in fact no better, if not worse, than normal lights. The light distribution is terrible especially the forward projection on dipped. They only cast light on the road ahead some 20 yards in front of the car then complete blackness. It’s almost as if they are pointing into the ground, is this possible? All other xenon’s I have had have been self levelling and you can constantly see them adjusting as you drive. They really are that bad that road signs receive no ambient illumination from the lights, at any distance be they country lanes or motorway and you wouldn’t see anyone on a footpath until about 30 yards, and then only there feet. Definitely not the night to day experience of my previous merc and bmw with xenon’s fitted.

Other than a poorly aligned tailgate catch, which means to close the tailgate you have to do so by pushing the number plate lighting bit at an angle as well as downwards, not much else to comment on.

Except the ‘hunting’ in stop start traffic…..leaving in drive stopping and staying stopped with brake pedal, every so often after being stationary for about 10 secs the car try’s to jolt forward slightly.

Oh and the sat nav being too bright at night…cant seem to find separate brightness settings for lights on / off

And the nosiest windscreen wipers ever……pass me the rain-x for the screen and some vinegar for the blades

No no that’s defiantly it now.

Post #5288811th Apr 2006 10:29 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like you should make a list and take it to the dealers for a day for warrantly fixes.
Wipers - my RRS is like this. I've replaced the blades at my cost and still no better. They are the worse I've had. The noise drives me mad and the over sensitive automatic wipers make it even more irratating!
 Matt  
Post #5288911th Apr 2006 11:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GLY 2N

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Rear Wiper on ours is the worst - Replaced twice and still squeeks

Post #5292211th Apr 2006 3:42 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

So is there anything you actually enjoy about it ?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5292711th Apr 2006 4:35 pm
Martyn

United Kingdom 

My goodness

My D3s tracking was also out from new, and is still not driving straight. Will be returning to the dealer next week to get them to ajust it again!

Good luck with getting yours fixed!

Martyn
 06 Reg Discovery 3 TDV6S Auto Silver with Leather
2014 BMW M135i (on order)
07 BMW Z4M Roadster
02 Suzuki GSX1400 

Post #5293411th Apr 2006 5:26 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I can't say that I've noticed any problem with my xenons but I have no experience with other cars to compare them with. It is true that they don't light that far ahead when dipped but I don't see how they could be set higher without blinding oncoming drivers. And I find I can read motorway signs at about fifty metres without any problems. On full beam they light the whole world.

Eric

Post #5300411th Apr 2006 10:24 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Have to agree with you there Eric, no complaints about the Xenons here Very Happy

Phil, suggest you get your dealer to check them out and compare them with another D3s
 The End  
Post #5301211th Apr 2006 10:42 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

ref. the xenons, I think the problem is that the actually provide sooooo much output that the cut-off point is accentuated rather than graduated, as with T/H lighting, the area illuminated appears 'normal' and everything outside of it is darker than you'd expect - until you come across something with a reflective / refractive surface..... Wink then you notice the difference...
There is a brightness setting for the NAV screen which is proportionate to the dash illumination, the light sensor is adjacent to the immobiliser LED, so if you're in the habit of storing 'stuff' in front of the steering wheel, this will affect the operation of the dimming function

Post #5301511th Apr 2006 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >