Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

20" Alloys on their way.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Goffie01

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
20" Alloys on their way.

I have been digging at work(JLR) for info on why I had problems fitting 20" wheels recently. Below is a copy of an E-Mail Reply i received with a few names deleted of course.

20" for L319 are still under development. Proposal is to use the L322 Pirelli 255/50 R 20 tyre on a new L319 20" rim. (L322 rims don't fit.) *********** from accessories is doing the wheels. You'll have to ask him about availability. We're doing the tyres but they're not signed off yet. Since they're carry over L322 they should be available, although I can't reccommend fitting them until they are fully signed off.

Apologies if you all knew this was coming anyway.

Post #33195713th Aug 2008 2:21 pm
al cope

England 

Nice to have someone on the inside Thumbs Up

I have a couple of issues with this. If tyres are a carry over from L322 (255/50R20), then they're 106 or 109 rated, which we've been led to believe isnt weight rated high enough for D3. 20" Supercharged L322 Rims will fit, as do RRS ones, but the bigger issue is how to stop the steering shimmy with 20's on the D3 as it doesnt have the damped steering rack that the L322 and RRS have.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #33197813th Aug 2008 3:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yawn
no, serious head on...
L/R have 2 wheels in the pipeline
1 x diamond cut (which is meant to be the dogs cahunas)
1 x standard 20" which is a bit bland....

The new wheel, so i have been told is supplied WITHOUT tyre...this i hope is true as L/R wheel and tyre packages are priced out of this world.

Alledgely a developement bodykit car at Gaydon has the nice 20" wheels fitted but pictures are strictly embargoed till near releaase time.
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #33197913th Aug 2008 3:32 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

al
was typing whilst you were replying

i asked the question on damped steering and got a straight Shocked Shocked what's that Shocked
So i assume no retro upgrade required for these wheels
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #33198113th Aug 2008 3:34 pm
al cope

England 

Large One,

as a few of us have tried RRS 20's, and seem to have all suffered with the shimmy (apart from RonP, who's obviously got some better ointment), the key difference I could see, as we all seem to be trying RRS 20's, was the RRS (when fitted with 20's - as per TSB) used a dampend steering rack, which the D3 doesnt. It might be said that the 20's are 9.5" wide, so thats causing the shimmy, but I'm running RRS 19's, which are this same width with no shimmy, so I dont think its a rim width issue. The L322 20's are only 8" wide though.

the saga continues.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #33198713th Aug 2008 3:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Googsy

Ireland 

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Post #33199513th Aug 2008 4:18 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Pirelli 255/50 R 20 tyre !!!

That seems heck of a skinny for a 20"

Anyone fancy a shot at my 20" Super 7's with 295 grabbers??
Still not got around to advertising!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #33206313th Aug 2008 6:52 pm
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine were perfect arter being balanced twice 8) but as the miles have gone on the Censored are starting to shake, rattle and roll Shocked WTF is going on? Can't be getting them balanced every 2k Big Cry
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #33214913th Aug 2008 10:49 pm
anoble

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

same here, after getting re-balanced mine are now ok. Seems some places are not capable of correctly balancing 20's for some reason!

Post #33225914th Aug 2008 12:02 pm
Goffie01

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Still digging for info

See E-Mail sent and reply below.

Question

Thanks for the reply Guys. Lots of D3 Owners already fit L322 wheels and L320 wheels to their vehicles with different levels of success. I personally fitted L320 Stormer alloys and got steering shimmy as it has become called. Other I Know have done the same without any problems what so ever. There are many theories including the L320 having an additional dampening on the steering rack which L319 hasn't. Can either of you shed any light on this please.

Answer

Hello

As you correctly point out, L320 has extra valves in the steering to reduce kick - back. It also has a completely different steering system. The L320 wheels and tyres are also a different size, which will affect steering, gearing, fuel economy, speedo reading, refinement, handling,etc.
I cannot therefore recommend you fit anything other than signed off wheels & tyres to L319. Unfortunately there isn't a 20" yet.

WIll keep on trying to nail this down .

Post #33226214th Aug 2008 12:04 pm
al cope

England 

nice one goffie - keep at it.

After looking at D3 and RRS, most front suspension/steering bits (apart from steering rack) looked the same, which is why I suspected this bit as being part of the issue. Yes, your guys are correct, in wheel/tyre spec for L320 is different, but if you fit L320 19's (inc RRS spec tyre) you dont get shimmy.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #33226714th Aug 2008 12:49 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: Still digging for info

Goffie01 wrote:
...It also has a completely different steering system....

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well at the end of the day it shares its rack geometry with the D3 so it can't be THAT different and as under all circumstances LR either by option pack or TSB state the RRS must have a dampened rack to fit 20" then I suspect that it probably the conclusion they'll come to - unless the wheels and tyres they are coming up with are specifically designed to avoid the potential shimmy with a D3 undamped rack.

But at the moment it sounds like they aren't aware of LR's own rack recommendations on the RRS...
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #33231914th Aug 2008 3:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >