Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My 2004 Tonga Green D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 32 <123 ... 303132>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Am in swanley so not far from u , I think that was geoff, indeed fantastic guy who sadly lost his wife , went onto pastures new and hope he’s doing ok

Apologises I meant the butterfly valve inside the throttle body that’s removed when the egrs are blanked , pic below shows it removed and the pin reinstalled

Have a driveway so can easily work then out the way so if u get stuck plse feel free to send me a pm and happy to help as much as I can .

Always nice to help a fellow disco owner

Here’s also some info , alas pipes are put back as you’ve done due to the mot regs

https://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/...0SMALL.pdf

The gap iid is locked to me disco but know it will read and clear faults , alas because it’s vin locked to mine won’t calibrate suspension , not familiar with the evo

Pic of what it looks like after butterfly removed

Hope that helps

Post #217434817th Sep 2020 3:07 pm
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Ah no Shocked I know she was very ill when I met her but thought at that time that she was winning the battle. Yes it was Geof. I can't believe what he has gone through. Was a top bloke, reasonably priced and extremely helpful. And thanks for the pics and info. Might face it tomorrow afternoon.

Post #217435017th Sep 2020 3:10 pm
gstuart

Indeed , really nice bloke

Glad pics and info helped , sent pm Thumbs Up

Post #217435217th Sep 2020 3:15 pm
disco-nut

That picture has jogged my memory, yes Geoff removed the butterfly for me, I remember now as it was rattling around in my door pockets for about 6 months Laughing Going to tackle that tomorrow or Saturday then.

Post #217436317th Sep 2020 3:48 pm
disco-nut

Been very ill today, but dragged myself outside after the courier delivered my new grill. Discovery 4 facelift style grill. Slowly falling in love with this car. Better start thinking of a name.

Post #217462618th Sep 2020 8:30 pm
disco-nut

Well.... replacing the sidestep brackets turned into what I feared the most. As it started its life in Scotland, sadly this was inevitable. Rust spread from the sidestep brackets on the sills and the rot spread. So now sent pictures to a few places for quotes to get the welding done. This is just the drivers side. Not faced taking the passenger trim off Laughing

Post #217470819th Sep 2020 2:50 pm
gstuart

Hi

Sorry to hear u being unwell, speedy recovery mate Thumbs Up

Oh blimey just what u don’t need , seems it’s a mixed outcome of where steps are fitted , but alas seeing it more

Have some rock sliders for mine that I’ve restored and still need to fit , brackets bolt onto the chassis frame so don’t touch the sill, also bought all stainless steel bolts, nuts etc , to replace the old, plus plastic washers to separate the washers touching the steel chassis, made them up out of 1mm plastic sheet , need to finish the small brackets

Plse let us know how u get on ref welders, assume ur get complete new sills welded on

Plus a get well soon mate Thumbs Up

Post #217471819th Sep 2020 3:51 pm
disco-nut

Cheers for the kind message.

Yes, I am asking for a full sill replacement, not patchwork, that way I know it's done, It looks like inner and outer sills need doing on the drivers side. I haven't got the energy to take the passenger side off yet Laughing But as that step hasn't fallen off yet, I am hoping that is a sign that it won't be as bad Shocked Laughing

Tomorrow, I will be getting on with the EGR delete, Ciaron has been very kind and after my first accident fitting them, sent me 2 extra to what I need, so if the engine gets hungry, it has 2 spare to eat Rolling with laughter

But because the bolts are that bad on the remains of the sidestep brackets, I have sent my other half on a road trip to get me a survivor socket as the remains of the brackets have extremely sharp edges.
Which has lead me to the decision to not use this car on the road until I have at least got these off. Then it is off to Dartford Transmissions to have the crossover pipe replaced with an upgraded stainless steel one which will mean I can finally use the car full time.

Still don't regret buying this car though. I feel like I still have a bargain. But this has lead me to add checking the sills on my blue one to the list when I get it back, but I am hoping that because it has never had sidesteps, that that one shouldn't have the same rust problem.

As for the plastic spacer things, I was thinking about getting something like strong plastic piping and cutting that down to size. That also reminds me that I need to buy new M8 Bolts ready.

Just feeling frustrated about not getting quotes through yet as it's the weekend Laughing

Post #217472219th Sep 2020 4:22 pm
gstuart

Ur so welcome , just never nice when feeling rough

have u got an irwin sockets , also I’ve found a dremel with a cut off disc very hand , used them on many occasions

This is the plastic sheet I used

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-40-Thou-A4-...2749.l2649

treated my chassis inside and outside , including insides the body skins underneath with dinitrol , wonder if u can inject some treatment into the body prior to having the new sills fitted , along with them being treated at the same time

Understand where ur coming from, bought mine for peanuts as a projects and there’s been times when I’ve got of chucking the towel in but I’ve never known a motor that’s so easy and nice to drive

Pleased I’ve got alot of the work out the way

Looks like the step brackets become a water trap , I’ve also used a product called Fertan rust convertor
Easy to spray it on using a standard spray bottle or brush , needs to have a top coat applied within 6 x months , ie Dinitrol etc

Another place is behind the wheel arch liners where mud/ leaves accumulate and around the towing socket electrics

Fingers crossed ur get the quotes in the week and work done and dusted

Hope ur feeling better over the weekend , have plenty of tools etc here if u ever get stuck Thumbs Up

Post #217474319th Sep 2020 6:48 pm
disco-nut

This is how rot the brackets were. 1 is stuck to the sill cover Rolling with laughter
Hopefully the survivor socket will solve this. I do have a dremel, and yes, I would be lost without it. I actually used it to install the sidesteps on my 1st Discovery 3.

And thought I would start taking the detachable towbar apart. I thought there were remains of the old lock in it. I was wrong Shocked It is hollow. So tomorrow I will borrow the internal component of my fixed towbar and get that detachable towbar off.

Post #217474919th Sep 2020 7:36 pm
gstuart

Oh blimey , well stuck Whistle

Plus 1, hope the socket gets the rest off

Will send a pm ref towbar Thumbs Up

Post #217476619th Sep 2020 9:17 pm
disco-nut

Oh joy, Borrowed the handle and shaft from my fixed towbar to try and get the detachable towbar out. Censored thing is seized solid. Now soaked in WD40 and will have another attempt after an early lunch before I then go down the route of dropping the spare wheel and enlisting the help of either my neighbour or other half. Depends on who will moan less Rolling with laughter

And completely forgot to be careful about the little ball inside the towbar shaft as I heard it ping across my living room, but luckily it didn't vanish and was found pretty quickly Whistle Laughing

I am really not feeling the motivation today. But weather forecasted as wet from Wednesday onwards and temperatures dropping, I need to get this job finished by the end of tomorrow and also get the EGR and throttle body butterfly removed by the end of tomorrow.

Any other tasks achieved after this will just be a bonus.

Post #217484320th Sep 2020 11:12 am
disco-nut

No, just no. Not in a good mood after spending an entire day dealing with a towbar that someone tried to steal but seems to have been in the hole since the day it left the factory. But after using my angry tool (angle grinder), my partner and my neighbour helping, finally got the horrible thing out. New towbar frame fitted. As I borrowed the lock mechanism to try and get the detachable towbar out, I ended up fitting the handle upside down Shocked Laughing So can't get the aftermarket plate on at the moment. Had enough for today anyway. So will deal with that tomorrow. Also ran out of time and pain threshold to deal with the EGR blanking and butterfly removal.

Post #217492820th Sep 2020 7:27 pm
gstuart

Oh blimey mate, looks like u had a right nightmare getting that out

Glad u made some progress ref the towbar

Also if I may Plse add, get some fertan rust convertor to spray around ur towing sockets , at lest it will give u 6 x months to then add a top coat , like Dinitrol etc

Plse don’t forget if u fancy a drive up to me I’ll do the egr butterfly removal for u , plus can also spray around those towbar connectors for u as have some fertan spare

Hope you’ve got ur feet up and not climbing the wall in pain

Post #217494620th Sep 2020 8:23 pm
disco-nut

Cheers for the offer, but I really can't take you up on it at the moment until the crossover pipe is done Laughing Bangers at a banger racing track sound smoother than this old beast Rolling with laughter I am not driving it around at the moment and on the 1st when it is due to go to the garage, It is going to be recovered rather than driven. Literally only moving it on and off and around my garden at the moment to get jobs done.

My only regret today is that there isn't enough hours in the day.

Going hell for leather in the morning to get the egr blanking plate fitted, and hope to get the butterfly removed in the morning. The really annoying this is, My blue one has already got this all done Laughing

Post #217495320th Sep 2020 9:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 32 <123 ... 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >