Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My 2004 Tonga Green D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 32 <123 ... 151617 ... 303132>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter Very true. I found out exactly what the cause is of the sidestep issue, turned out to be the rubber trim that sits on top hasn't been pushed in properly by me. I will get on that later today if I remember. Been concentrating on removing the rust, sealing the metal and coating in hammerite at the front before I install the new bumper.

Post #221390826th Feb 2021 3:53 pm
disco-nut

Glad today is over, feel happy that I achieved what I set out to achieve, but the front parking sensors need activating and oddly the same fog light isn't working despite being a different bumper with new foglights. Hopefully just a bulb. Light guards back on as well and although I was going to chrome the front up, I ended up dechroming the new bumper. Physically, today has destroyed me. But the front is done.

Click image to enlarge

I plan on making up the missing brackets tomorrow for the D4 rear light guards, I am going to wait unitl the weather is warmer for the paint as I am not confident that I can do my best work whilst having to use a heat lamp to dry it out. We will see. I will be replacing the door trim as well soon.

Post #221395426th Feb 2021 8:02 pm
lard

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Great work - love the light grills and really tempted to get some too - I'm anti chrome (child of the 70's? Laughing ) so think bumper looks good!

I noticed you like pictures of tonga green disco's & trailers...... Very Happy - testing out my first ever trailer and then took for a quick spin for the first time towing something!

Post #221398127th Feb 2021 12:03 am
disco-nut

I bet your Discovery didn't feel any different with that behind it Rolling with laughter

Post #221403027th Feb 2021 11:47 am
disco-nut

I know there will be a lot of haters for what I am about to do and to be honest, I wouldn't have gone for this modification, but I have bought bonnet vents, these are not just the stick on top and look pretty rubbish, these are actual proper cut a hole in the bonnet to make fit vents. But because of the vandalism, it was going to cost £250-£300 just to respray the current bonnet and the replacement in the correct colour needed as much work as my existing one. So £16 for Ford Focus RS style vents, and I get to cut the word scratches on my bonnet out! Win Win for me. And I actually do like the look of these vents on the car. What I can't decide though, is whether to colour code them or not.

I may or may not be cutting the holes in my bonnet today Laughing

The Discovery isn't really in use at the moment so for me, it is the perfect time for tinkering. It is a shame though that these bonnet vents aren't bolt on though, as I would feel more at ease about fitting them, as I would be able to just unbolt them and paint them if I decided I wanted to colour code them. But I will be using tiger seal to stick them on. And on the side that has the battery, I won't be cutting the bonnet liner. Just the drivers side. I will also be considering doing this potentially on my Range Rover lol

Post #221403227th Feb 2021 11:57 am
disco-nut

I can already hear the gasps Rolling with laughter BUT I got bored and those vents were sat there screaming fit me. So I have got started with the installation.

Post #221405627th Feb 2021 3:05 pm
disco-nut

The vents are now fitted, I tried the supplied mounting tape, and despite using paint prep wipes, it didn't want to stick, so pulled it all off and went for plan B which was tiger seal. So now waiting for that to to dry so I can tidy up the excess adhesive. I left the vents black. I think with the grill, It will suit the look better.

I know, my priorities are backwards Rolling with laughter

Post #221407927th Feb 2021 5:06 pm
discovery3ski

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Vents look good. Bit Defender ish.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 HSE 2007
Alfa GTV CUP
Alfa 156 JTS
Alfa Spider TS
Alfa GT Cloverleaf
Volvo XC70 

Post #221410727th Feb 2021 6:17 pm
disco-nut

I don't mind if they look defenderish. As long as they don't look Fiesta'ish Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

The night won't pass fast enough, I would like time to fast forwards to tomorrow so I can take the tape off and see how it has come out.

Post #221414527th Feb 2021 8:14 pm
disco-nut

I was going to wait, then I thought, sod it, I have started painting the rear passenger quarter panel. Got impatient with part of it and ended up with a big run mark Censored so got to sand that down again, I probably wont be doing the door today though. And to give the bonnet vents maximum chance to stick, I will wait until 3.30pm to remove the tape Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Post #221423828th Feb 2021 12:36 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Do those vents have holes going all the way through them ? If so, how are you going to prevent water getting in inside and under the bonnet ? ...... ( I know you have enough to do already, but just curious ). Laughing
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #221425028th Feb 2021 1:50 pm
disco-nut

The vents are all the way through, a small amount is directly into the engine bay but above the bonnet liner and the rest sits the in the sealed double skin area. A job that is actually on the cards for tomorrow as I am hopefully sorting a new private plate for the car tomorrow as well, but in theory the water will follow the channel under the bonnet to the front of the bonnet and should drain out of a hidden hole under the bonnet somewhere. Hoping that there is already a hole of some sort as I hate drilling Laughing The vents aren't massively exposed so only a small amount of rain water will get in, and because they are raised on the bonnet, any running water on the bonnet will go around them rather than in them. Probably will be teething issues to sort out with this installation, but will deal with them as they arise.

Post #221427628th Feb 2021 3:22 pm
disco-nut

All that effort went to waste. Halfords high build primer is rubbish! So now sanded the areas with graffiti back to bare metal and will start again tomorrow. Hopefully I will have all the paint both sides of the car on by the end of Tuesday. I don't mind if the lacquer is not on until the next dry day, but Wednesday onwards is forecasted as rain every day.

I got it to this stage, then was horrified when I realised I could read the words I had made the mistake of sanding out, I should have sanded a whole section back to bare metal. Which is what I have now done on it all except for the door. I hope to get on to that tomorrow.

Now bare metal Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #221432528th Feb 2021 6:17 pm
discovery3ski

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Painting cars well is practically chemistry these days. I miss cellulose.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 HSE 2007
Alfa GTV CUP
Alfa 156 JTS
Alfa Spider TS
Alfa GT Cloverleaf
Volvo XC70 

Post #221436728th Feb 2021 8:55 pm
disco-nut

I am now playing the waiting game, sent my partner out on a supplies run Whistle Laughing So waiting for primer and paint prep wipes and for the temperatures to reach double figures in the shade. The rear passenger brake has seized quite badly now so have to use low range to move the car around, but I don't need to use the Discovery for the next month anyway, so literally just going to be getting little upgrades and other jobs where I already have parts ticked off. Then the Discovery can go to the garage on the back of big yella and be fixed under warranty. Also feeling very excited, have managed to move enough money around to hopefully have enough to pay for my private plate. 2 reasons I want one, 1 is because the current reg constantly reminds me of what my neighbour did, and 2, I just want one Rolling with laughter April, I will probably sorn the Discovery off of the road for a month as well as the Freelander and Range Rover are my daily drivers and the tax on my Range Rover is FREE Rolling with laughter

Post #22144481st Mar 2021 11:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 16 of 32 <123 ... 151617 ... 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >