Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My 2004 Tonga Green D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 32 <123 ... 161718 ... 303132>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Well, I will reveal part of my new reg...

Click image to enlarge

As you can guess, I managed to secure my new reg via national registrations, needless to say, they weren't too friendly when I refused the new finance options they gave me and paid for it outright Laughing

And I have started the priming again.

Annoyingly I need to put 1 more coat of primer on it before I can even think about putting paint on. I still have the door and drivers rear quarter panel to do.

Post #22144991st Mar 2021 4:02 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I just missed out on WH05 AJA I took too long thinking about it and when I went back it had sold Sad
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22145181st Mar 2021 5:55 pm
disco-nut

I was lucky with mine as it is my name, but I have been wanting to buy that reg since September last year.

I have had to pin my car in as it cannot be locked as it is as I can't shut the door with the current paint work I am doing. It will definitely need to be redone at some point professionally, but I am happy now that the words have come back Laughing

Post #22145341st Mar 2021 6:55 pm
aja4x4

One more coat of top coat and a few coats of clear coat and it will look ok
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22145461st Mar 2021 7:42 pm
disco-nut

Final coat of paint is on and drying. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the panels left to do Laughing

Hoping to get the new paint wet sanded and lacquered later on.

Post #22147292nd Mar 2021 3:04 pm
disco-nut

1st coat of lacquer is on. I wet sanded the paint with 1200 very lightly but even with lacquer on after using paint prep wipes, the finish doesn't look great. Hoping it will improve as more coats of lacquer go on. I have ordered 1 more can of paint from the same company I got the first can from in case I don't have enough to do the rest of the car. I am confident it would have come out better if it had been hotter weather.

Post #22147432nd Mar 2021 3:47 pm
aja4x4

Hotter weather brings it's own problems, I'm sure if you put enough clear coat on you can sand it back with 3500 grade and mop it up to a shine with a decent mop and compound
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22147642nd Mar 2021 5:54 pm
disco-nut

The shine isn't the problem, you can see the swirl marks where I sanded the paint with 1200 under the lacquer. It isn't massively obvious, just obvious to me. But the lacquer is done, the rear passenger quarter panel is now done to a standard I can live with as a temporary measure. I just have the other quarter panel to do and the passenger rear door left to do. But now got up to 2 days of rain forecasted here so will have to wait until the next dry day, or possibly dig my gazebo out.

Post #22147842nd Mar 2021 7:35 pm
disco-nut

Had a call from the private plate dealer today as they had forgotten to fast track my purchase despite charging me £49 for the privilege. They have now corrected the mistake and literally 2 minutes after asking them when I will receive my physical reg plates, I got a knock on the door and they were delivered Laughing My new reg should be registered to my car from Friday, and I have already updated my insurance to have the new reg listed on the policy from Friday, but as I am not using the Discovery at all at the moment, I have enough time to keep it parked up until I have the new logbook through confirming the change. But I am also holding off putting the plates on the car for the minute as I want to get the paint finished on all panels 1st so I can fit the reg plates as the finale. Weather forecasted for tomorrow is rain until around mid day at the moment, so if that does turn out to be true, then I will get the primer on tomorrow afternoon on both sides, and then Friday I can get the paint and lacquer done. I will be removing the old reg plates tomorrow anyway. For a car I initially wasn't a fan of because of the colour, I have fallen in love with it. And the more I do to this one, the more I am looking forward to working on my blue one if I keep it.

Next job on the list is the rear calipers, discs and pads. Thankfully I know 1 of those 3 items is under warranty Very Happy Just need to book big yella when I am ready Laughing

I am also planning on getting it remapped in a couple of months as well.

Post #22150083rd Mar 2021 7:41 pm
disco-nut

Not sure if my pain meds have affected my emotions or not, but now discovering I have another kidney stone which is causing me to be very ill, I have been going through the 100's of thousands of photo's I have of all my cars dating back to 2010 and dwelling on my roller coaster ride with my Tonga green Discovery. Until seeing pictures after I had painted the rear quarter panel, I didn't realise just how much the damage done to the car and the reason for the damage to it has affected me. It is genuinely that bad that at the same time as I wanted to repair the car as a giant Censored you to the person who did it, I couldn't even look at the registration without constantly being reminded of what I have gone through. Yes, I considered getting rid of the car, but I am glad that I found an alternative way through it.

The changes I have made, although small, like the rear lights, upgraded front bumper, bonnet vents and the private plate, have been enough to help get to a point where I can start putting what I went through behind me as for now, the vile woman behind it is busy targeting a resident in her own block of flats thankfully and is wrapped up in playing with another of her neighbours new puppies for now, so damage to all the cars has actually stopped for now.

But I genuinely hated the colour of this discovery at the beginning. Now I love it. I wouldn't buy another one this colour, but I do love it. And doing the work to this one is getting me more excited about getting the blue one done. So my plan is, I currently have a Freelander as well as my Range Rover, so the Freelander will be going up for sale either this coming August or August 2022, then I will pull the Blue Discovery out of storage and start by stripping the engine out bit by bit.

I have further modifications planned for this Discovery though. I want to add full length roof rails, LED rear bumper lights, wind deflectors, colour code or fit chrome caps to the top half of the mirrors and a boot spoiler and possibly rear light guards and larger tyres.

Click image to enlarge

Had my rambling on session. Now taking more pain meds and hopefully will fall asleep.

Post #22150764th Mar 2021 5:08 am
disco-nut

Meant to be on bed rest today, but after basic pain meds to keep me going I found I was very bored. So started preparing it for painting, but ran out of tape and drape Rolling with laughter So now waiting for it to be delivered today. Might even get the priming done today. But at the very least it is prepped ready for tomorrow.

Click image to enlarge

Post #22151594th Mar 2021 3:18 pm
disco-nut

2 Coats of primer have gone on. Waiting an hour before the 3rd and final coat goes on. I might even manage 1 coat of paint if all goes well.

Post #22151664th Mar 2021 4:33 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Let’s hope the kidney stone doesn’t move just as you are doing the finish coat. I have had several of these over the years, some flush through, some don’t Shocked extremely painful, and cause awful nausea with it. ......Are you drinking plenty of water ?
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #22151824th Mar 2021 6:05 pm
disco-nut

Cheers, Yes I have had many over the years, there are days where I will admit I don't even think about drinking anything as I am so preoccupied and others I drink like a fish, but my body frequently produces stones and normally ends with me having to have then removed Laughing Even if I am howling in pain, I can guarantee that if I need an ambulance and the final coat needs doing, I will be howling and painting at the same time as waiting for the ambulance Rolling with laughter

But I have a goal day for finishing this. I want to finish it all by Sunday at the latest, as surprisingly got an email from DVSA today to say my new reg is now assigned to my car and that I can put the plates on my car now. However, I am waiting to put the new plates on until the paint is done as the car is on private land anyway and not being used. In fact, it is now not drivable as the rear calliper has properly seized on. So as soon as the paint is done and the car is ready, I need to make 2 calls. 1 to breakdown Laughing and 2 is to the garage who will be receiving my car so the warranty can pay for the calliper. Then I will put the Discovery back on the road as my daily as the weather apparently is going to be cold and snowing again, and I want to make sure the Discovery is ready for play time Laughing

Priming is all done and the sanding is done. Now just need to adjust the plastic on the passenger door slightly and I can get the painting done. This time I am putting an extra coat of paint on and then 4 coats of lacquer. But I will wait a few weeks before I sand the lacquer back and polish it up.

Another strange thing happened today as well, neighbours who I have seen and passed the entire time I have lived here but never actually spoken to, have been stopping and complementing my cars and how I have handled what happened to them and were amazed that I was going to the effort of doing the work myself. So at the moment, I am the 2nd to top topic being gossiped about on my estate Rolling with laughter the top being 4 guys on my road this morning stealing stuff off of people's driveways on my road, who slowed down to look in mine but saw that I had camera's and wisely decided my drive wasn't one to bother stealing from Laughing

Post #22151924th Mar 2021 7:17 pm
disco-nut

It's official, my private plate is assigned to my car Very Happy

Also woke earlier today and despite the winds, managed to get the 1st coat of paint on already. 2 or 3 more coats to go. I will get the lacquer on tomorrow as I have to be finished by 2.30pm today.

Post #22152745th Mar 2021 11:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 17 of 32 <123 ... 161718 ... 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >