Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My 2004 Tonga Green D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 32 <123 4 ... 303132>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

No probs and forgot about the crossover pipe , at least u won’t have to worry about doing that urself, a part from the bill of course Big Cry

Fingers crossed will all go smoothly on doing the blanks and butterfly valve

Plse let us know how u get on Thumbs Up

Post #217502821st Sep 2020 12:47 pm
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Both EGR's now blanked. Nerve damage in my hands got the better of me for now, so having to take a long lunch break Laughing Got the stage where I was stuggling to get the nuts where they needed to be when re-assembling it all and started dropping my tools too much and got frustrated Rolling with laughter but all back together. The butterfly valve is still in place. Not quite sure how to get to it at the moment. Brain gone as bad as my hands Rolling with laughter

Post #217505121st Sep 2020 2:24 pm
gstuart

Hi mate

Sorry to hear about ur hands, hope they ease up for u as that must be bloody miserable

Found the egr blank link for u

https://bellautoservices.co.uk/wp-content/...6-TDV6.pdf

Found with the Y piece , to clean the large O rings and then use some clear silicone grease, can get a pot of plumbers grease from plumbing shops

Plus with the egr pipes left in situ will be ok when it’s mot’d , indeed done the same with removing the aux battery tray and air filter for that awkward drivers side

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Ps, speedy recovery Bow down

Last edited by gstuart on 21st Sep 2020 3:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #217505821st Sep 2020 3:29 pm
gstuart

Also like the front grill, Thumbs Up

I did debadge mine

Click image to enlarge

Post #217505921st Sep 2020 3:32 pm
disco-nut

I think they look odd without the lettering. But the grill does improve how it looks though.

Post #217506121st Sep 2020 3:53 pm
gstuart

Must admit prefer it without the letters, as they say would be boring if everyone liked the same things Laughing

Plus 1, really like the front grill, also got an A bar that i need to restore , got it cheap of ebay , can’t remember the size of that front grill Land Rover badge , didn’t take to long to glue one on

Hope all is going to plan Thumbs Up

Post #217506621st Sep 2020 4:04 pm
disco-nut

Finally, EGR blanking completed and butterfly removed. I don't want to have to do that again, but know I will if I put the other D3 back on the road Laughing Also fitted the towbar securing plate. Just for a bit of extra peace of mind.

Post #217510721st Sep 2020 6:59 pm
gstuart

That’s great u got those bits done Thumbs Up

Post #217510821st Sep 2020 7:06 pm
disco-nut

Well, horrified that whilst getting quotes for welding, I came across a company who like to add thousands more than what a job should actually cost by saying they need to do more than what is actually needed! LR-XS quoted me £3500 plus VAT stating that they would have to remove the interior etc... which is all labour intensive. Officially crossed off my list of companies to try Rolling with laughter Anyway, long story short, I took my car to the same bodyshop who recently repainted my Range Rover rear bumper, and for them to make up a custom complete panel leaving the sidestep bracket holes in tact, looking at £400 all in roughly if nothing goes wrong for the drivers side. I have another guy due out later this week to quote me as well. But that is just a bit different to the company who waaaaay over quoted me. If that was a we don't want the job price, they should have just said, we aren't interested or we aren't able to carry out that type of repair onsite. Sorry. And oddly, a company who replace rear chassis sections on D2's, was not willing to do a simple outer sill replacement on a D3 Shocked

So the plan is, Get 1 side done ASAP, then in a couple of months time, get the other side done if it needs doing.

Been awesome driving this beast again today. Only very locally though.

Just got to cut the remains of the sidestep brackets off to make it safer.

Post #217527922nd Sep 2020 12:16 pm
disco-nut

Been a little pro-active about the rust in the sill. Today after the trip to get quotes for the welding, I cut off as much of the remaining sidestep brackets as I could, wire brushed what was left, and gave a coat of primer on what is left. Only to slow down the spread of the rust until it is due to be welded. Just wanted to do something as we have bad weather coming so from today up until the bad weather goes for a bit again, I lose the use of my garden to work on cars. I was meant to be working on a campervan today, but the Discovery was my priority. Now on the hunt for a little short term project to keep me occupied short term.

Post #217536522nd Sep 2020 4:37 pm
gstuart

Hiya

Looks like you’ve been busy , still can’t get over that original quote , amazing difference in cost

See some companies sell the outer sills around @£140 each , so not too bad

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/discovery-sil...39364.html

https://www.dls-uk.co.uk/default/sill-oute...and-4.html

Are they hard to cut them off , also wonder what precautions they have to take because of the alternator and electronics

Looks a little better ,mired wire brushed off and primed , is there enough access to spray some fertan or dinotrol inside prior to new sills being fitted

That’s not ur chassis also rusted further back is it plse or is it the fuel tank craddle

Hope ur doing better today mate and is soon all sorted out Thumbs Up

Post #217536922nd Sep 2020 4:46 pm
disco-nut

Thanks for the links, I have now ordered a complete sill repair panel from RST Land Rover who were about the same price but also got cashback as I go through top cash back for as much as I can Laughing

I have found 3 welders willing to do the job, one I need to go back to as he quoted me for making a sill up but not with sidestep holes in them. So will see what price he comes back with with the panel supplied. But the best price I have had so far is a mobile welder has said £125 for half a day or £200 for a whole day of work, I will have to do any painting though. That I am fine with Laughing I may be able to get it done much cheaper once I know exactly what prep work is needed as I am happy to cut out the old metal, ready for the new one one to be welded in place. Just want all involved to see the work in person in case the inner sill needs work as well. But seriously considering buying my step dad some bottles of gin in hopes to butter him up to do it for free Laughing He used to be a professional welder, but is retired and general rule of thumb with him is, if it's custom and fun, he MIGHT get involved and help, but if it's routine and boring, more likely to tell me to sort it myself Rolling with laughter

Post #217541822nd Sep 2020 7:40 pm
gstuart

Happy to help and ur always welcome ref the sills

That’s great if u can get ur step dad to do the work for u , crate of gin should do it Rolling with laughter

Sounds a good idea if u cut it out and treat it all , prior to welding , plus as u also say see if the inner part are effected in any way

Will also be interesting if u have time and don’t mind sharing some piccies of whats behind the sills plse

Thks again for sharing Thumbs Up

Post #217542422nd Sep 2020 8:01 pm
Grumpydog

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

That looks like my left hand sill. Some of the step captive nuts decided to sheer inside the sill, very helpful. I'm tight and have access to a workshop (workshop manager for a large logistics company) so I cut out the offending part and have made one out some sheet steel we had lying around. Was going great until the welder ran out of gas and no one had told me they'd use'd the last bottle!
Fortunately the right side looks ok at the moment but I will strip it and check it thoroughly at some point.
 2004 Disco 3 HSE TDV6
2015 Audi Q5 S Line plus
2008 Audi A4 Avant S Line Black Edition. Gone
2005 Chrysler Grand Voyger. Gone 

Post #217553723rd Sep 2020 8:59 am
disco-nut

Between severe rain fall, I managed to find a dry enough period of time to fit my new badge to the grill.
Also my front light guards have arrived, but won't fit them until the weekend.

Now have several welders ready to do the job, just waiting to see who charges what. The panel is due to be delivered tomorrow. But I doubt it will be fitted before it goes in to the garage to have the crossover pipe replaced.

I have also already got a trip to the coast planned which will involve some byways with this one.

Post #217573623rd Sep 2020 8:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 32 <123 4 ... 303132>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >