Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

2007 Model Year Handbook
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

oliver77 wrote:
FFRR is losing sales to D3 HSE and LR want to try and kerb this.

I'd heard this too. The FFRR was starting to look very poor value for money side-by-side and even at this end of the market, value counts. As you heard, the D3 HSE is pulling customers away from the FFRR, whereas the RRS was / is being picked up by "new-to-LR moving from Mercs and X5s.

Seems a shame to use the V8 Diesel as a means to brand differentiation when the D3, with it's off-road credentials (and on) would clearly benefit from it's increased torque and power.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #763407th Aug 2006 3:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
110CSW

United Kingdom 

oliver77 wrote:
He also said that FFRR TDV8 production starts soon with the first ones on the road in January and he expect RR Sport to come soon after. However he did say that although a lot of people as speculating about a D3 TDV8, they have been told that it's a no by LR as they want the Range Rovers to have something that D3 doesn't. FFRR is losing sales to D3 HSE and LR want to try and kerb this.

Its a real dilemma for them and I understand the logic. I don't mind as it will stop me selling my V6 SE and trading up to the V8 whivh I would do if the V8 diesel appears. I want a big boot and occasional seats so the two RR's would never do.

Post #764477th Aug 2006 10:06 pm
mudplugger

England 

I can fully understand LR's nervousness, about the D3 pulling in traditional RR customers.. reason: I was one.
I was all set to go for an RR in V8SC mode and continue to cry myself to sleep each night over the fuel consumption - but then heard in May 2005 that they were going to have a TDV8.
Speculation at the time was the release of that was to be March 2006 - so I cancelled the order and extended lease by a few months to Mar 2006 in the aim of getting an RR TDV8. In Jan 06, when it was apparent that the TDV8 was later in the year - I had a dilemma, and had to change. When my RR (2003MY Vogue) went in for a check re p/ex value, I 'borrowed' a D3 TDV6 HSE and was BLOWN AWAY!!
It gave me nearly all the same toys, was a bit 'rougher' than the RR, but a hell of a better deal for the money than the current RR..
The rest they say is history - now proudly driving a D3 TDV6HSE.
Dealer at the time admitted they try and keep RR customers out of the D3 - for the very reason stated here - a large proportion end up in the D3!

My die is cast now for another 2 years minimum, but this will lead nicely to that RR TDV8 - or if they put it in the D3 - then that's where I'll go.

Muddy
 From a two Land Rover household to one big FFRR...

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Post #767898th Aug 2006 6:41 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Got a D3 HSE for me and D3 S for wife for same money as a SC Vogue SE RR, gotta be a bargain! Thumbs Up

Post #768058th Aug 2006 7:35 pm
jwest

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
D3 function but RRS handling?

Has anyone tried the RRS, especially in SC version, and preferred it's handling over the D3? I love the function and space and body styling on my D3 but got spoiled by the handling of the RRS SC.

Anyone heard of tweaking the air/computers in the D3 to be more like the RRS?
My D2 had so many items the D3 lost! : dual one touch front windows, lumbar!, rear door interior exit handle, rear opening moonroof, tall vertical space in rear (mtb bike standing upright), thoughtful spare tire location (anything oversized doesn't fit too well below if you want to use the hitch)

What happened to the Discovery? I love some aspects but am bewildered by the others.

Jim
 96 Disco I, 210,000 miles - still going strong
04 Disco II, Vienna/Tundra, +2" lift, onboard air, 120V...
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #769319th Aug 2006 3:41 am
mudplugger

England 

Yep, tried the RRS in SC - but driving position/cabin too cramped and 'cocoon' like for me - just a matter of taste - I prefer the lower central console and space in the D3.
Handling wise, there's a definite advantage with the RRS - and if you have an SC, sure - you'll need it - but in TDV6 form the D3 (especially when Turbochipped) is quite a lively tool, and no slug... and yes it does corner very well - better than you might think. In the combination of D3 and TDV6 and Turbochip re-mapping - then it's a pretty good all round package.
It must be US/UK differences since I have a D3 TDV6 HSE and have one touch windows (dual), lumbar support (driver only) - all the others are indeed design differences between D2 and D3, but how often do I a. need to exit via rear door (never) have a tall vertical space for mtb (mine fits ok with one side of seats folded flat) spare tyre location (ok I'll agree, but it's better than hanging off the back door, knackering the hinges - like a Defender)
I guess it's personal taste - the RRS is great, in some respects, and the D3 is great too in others - I guess that's why they made them both!
Still prefer an FFRR but - when it has the TDV8 and then after they've sorted out the niggles (about a year/18months after launch)

Muddy
 From a two Land Rover household to one big FFRR...

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Post #771439th Aug 2006 9:37 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

AndrewS wrote:
I am ordering mine for delivery end of November 06
me too.... race ya! Laughing Laughing  
Post #771639th Aug 2006 10:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >