DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

2012 D4 - Sell now or commit longterm?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
EcosseDisco4

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
2012 D4 - Sell now or commit longterm?

Evening all,

Have a lovely 2012 D4 (8 Speed) which I've owned since Feb 2016.

Bought from LR approved used with warranty provided for the first two years. I have then carried on the warranty since at a not insignificant amount of £133.50 per month.

In Feb 2020 it will no longer be possible to carry on with the LR warranty (as they have a 100,000 mile limit).

Car is currently on 108k miles and I've averaged approx 20k miles a year on her. Do a lot of sports, hillwalking outdoors and business mileage too so always in the car.

It's getting to that time where I'm thinking to either sell now whilst it is still worth 5 figures (just!) and walk away from an enjoyable D4 ownership experience... or commit to it for the longterm....

If I commit longterm I think I'd be nervous running the car with no warranty, it won't be too long before any major work required will be almost as much as the car is worth. Hate to be in the position where I've got an £8k D4 with 160,000 miles on the clock and the engine kisses goodnight.

Have had a quick look at other 3rd party warranties and it's not that much less than the LR one, circa £100ish a month.

Thoughts, personal experiences and advice appreciated.

Many thanks!

Post #21035854th Dec 2019 6:13 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I am heading in the same direction with the D4,as I did with my D3 and I sold that with 160000 on the clock the same gentleman still owns it with over 200000 on the car , I will keep my D4 well maintained until I have no choice but to buy another car as it does everything I want and there’s nothing else that floats my boat and if the engine goes bang then I look at the options at the time, good look with your choice

Post #21036194th Dec 2019 7:52 pm
eltax91

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I have just acquired a 2013 D4 XS, with 103k miles on the clock. I too was nervous like you about being out of warranty.

After threads on here and PistonHeads i decided to go for a MotorEasy warranty. I covered mine for 3 years for £1036, they had monthly and 1 year options too. Ok it's not a dealer-backed warranty but it will/ should give you some cover for the major issues.

I have it covered in writing that they cover the failed crank and turbo issues that the D4's are known for (my car has had manifolds recently).

If you like it, why not keep it, that's my motto anyways. Mr. Green

Post #21037525th Dec 2019 11:22 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Similar boat here. 2013 HSE Lux owner from new, 109k miles now, and it’s everything We need In one car.

Nothing else but a D5 could fill its boots right now, and the cost to change would be 50k or more to get a new car.

I had Warranty direct until last year, and yes it was worth it, because I had all the suspension replaced by them. Now I am doing much fewer miles, I’ve let the warranty go.

My thoughts are that £50k to change means I could fund a lot of repairs. So long as I still enjoy the car then why change it.

The other reason I don’t want to stump such a large sum on a new car, is a niggling doubt in my mind that any expensive car bought now, that is powered by a fossil fuel, will be anything other than a liability in a relatively short time. I keep my cars for longer than average, so it’s a worry.

Looking at the Defender, but engine choice has cooled my enthusiasm.

Post #21037645th Dec 2019 11:51 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

just had a look at motoreasy and they are really well priced, but what is the difference between their plan C and plan C lite ?

it looks to me as if the lite version only covers you if you break down away from home address and need recovery, and then you have the same cover as the full plan C ??

How often do people break down on their own driveway? Shocked

there is a £40 per month difference in plans too
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21037655th Dec 2019 11:54 am
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Keep it and put the £133 per month into premium bonds. After a year you will have a minimum of £1596 saved plus any winnings. Yes, I know, what happens if you have a major repair in the first or second year but the financial gain will partially offset the bigger risk as the car ages. You have to weigh up the risk versus what you can afford if the worst case happens and you need a new engine at any point. You also have to weigh up the need of a LR versus the risk. Is it a “nice to have” (which they definitely are) or it essential to your lifestyle?

Post #21037745th Dec 2019 12:49 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Owning cars is always a bit of a gamble.

Simple question does the car do what you want from it now and in the foreseeable future?

Is the car in good nick and well maintained? Get a good local independent to give it a good looking over and have a good corrosion inspection as well.

You can not really anticipated everything in life. I have had a 6 month old alternator give up the ghost whilst abroad which was the last thing we anticipated going wrong.

Go for a warranty or put money into a repair jar or just enjoy your car and pay for any unforeseen expenses as they arise.

Post #21043457th Dec 2019 6:45 pm
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Mine is an MY10 with 130k on it. I’m keeping it as long as possible - no point in changing just now until there’s a decent hybrid/leccy alternative that won’t get me burned at the stake.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #21043747th Dec 2019 10:26 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm in the same boat. Love my D4 but most of the time its just me in it. When we do need it as a family its brilliant but that is becoming less and less as the kids get older. Also, I hardly tow anymore. I bought it off a forum member at the beginning of the year as a stop gap car to see what was coming out. The D5 was never going to be its replacement nor the Defender.

It is a dilemma because the cost of change is huge, not and issue, but £50k+ just for a newer car that might do the same things but slightly? better just doesn't sit well with me. I agree re the fossil fuel conudrum as well. Like Gareth, I keep my cars a long time.

My recent thinking was to change the D4 for a VW Toureag and do it on PCP rather than buy it outright, which is what I've always done. This works out at £449 pm for 20,000 miles per year with £7.5 down over 48months for a V6 232PS SEL with my extras. It gives me four years of stress free motoring. I had it for a 24hour test drive and used it as we would do as a family and it was very impressive.

However, I do keep looking at leasing the Tesla Model X and the sums also seem to work.

Its all a bit of a dilemma! Confused
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #21044338th Dec 2019 10:36 am
alltnaha

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I'm also dithering towards keeping my D4 for several more years. It is 2012, 55K miles, I've owned it since new.

Scared by a big engine bill but reluctant to get a warranty.

Some one said on this forum that the time to get rid is when the yearly repair bills exceed the depreciation on a newer vehicle which I think is about right.

I need to go off road but not the majority of the off road capability the D4 has. I also like the long distance load carrying ability. I did think about a Dacia Duster for long term simplicity but the wading depth is nowhere near what I need on the ford I go through and the ground clearance just a little less than I need.

But the D4 put a big smile on my face driving around yesterday in a way no other car does so its cross fingers for the next few years.

Post #21044458th Dec 2019 11:07 am
Asa

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ditto to lots all ready said, I am keeping my D3 until a fully hybrid or fully electric is available with the new Defender.
Worst case scenario on D3 engine goes pop but cheaper than any alternative that may be obsolete regarding fuels!

But I could be wrong! Very Happy

Post #21044508th Dec 2019 11:18 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It was a dilemma for me from the time I first sat in a D5. Compounded by my annual mileage of approx. 25k miles. Whilst it wasn’t high up my list of concerns, the crank issues didn’t help.

I very nearly went down the route of keeping the D4 Landmark and buying a used barge to clock up the motorway miles, something like a diesel S Class. If I didn’t already own too many cars and run out of space to park another, I probably would have done that. Although yet another vehicle to tax, insure, MOT and service didn’t exactly fill me with joy.

I also hung on to see what the new Defender was like.

It helped me to make a list of all the features of the D4 that I could and couldn’t compromise on and put them into order of priority. The FFRR, specifically an EU6 SDV8 which comes with the Dynamic Response system (they roll too much without it) ticked the first 6 boxes for me.

Of course we’re all different and have different priorities for our vehicles. The FFRR option wouldn’t suit a lot of people.

Sadly, there simply isn’t currently a new vehicle that’s a direct replacement for the D4. 😢
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #21044768th Dec 2019 1:36 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Me too!

I've got a 2010 D4 and it's now been out of warranty for a year. I have to admit it's a worry. The front lower arms and rear upper are needing done. So my thinking is that if I get those done, then it owes me a bit and I should keep it. I have absolutely loved it and the only thing I would like to change it for is a newer one. But these days, I'm not sure sinking money in a younger model will actually make financial sense if they're all going to be worthless come the revolution. So I too will persevere and see how things go. What's the worst that could happen? I get a few years of driving a car I love before it goes pop. When at that time it would be worth little more than diddly squat anyway.

Post #21045828th Dec 2019 9:51 pm
Kimi

I'm on a same boat. I currently have 100k+ miles on my MY12 D4 SDV6. Plan is to keep it long term, but these reported engine issues make me worry a bit. Are there differences between MY's or engine versions (TDV6 vs SDV6) on crank issues?

Are there any happy high mileage owners on the forum to help to increase the confidence on the car?

Post #21046679th Dec 2019 12:14 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

2011(61) 8 speed SDV6 XS currently on 103k... only had it 4 months and have no intentions of getting rid (which is unusual for me Laughing )

I bought it for 13k in August with 1 owner and FSH, but according to Autotrader today its only worth £8700 in part ex..... Shocked

Even I wanted to get rid of it I couldn't as id be so much out of pocket its would be financial suicide.

Ive just taken out a motoreasy warranty on it for £37 a month rolling, which should help take the sting out of any bills that may arise.

it had new front suspension arms, brakes, brake pipes, both belts at around 98k miles. it will be getting new boots in the spring once the current mismatched ones are worn, plus new oils in diff and gearbox.

Hopefully it will give me a few more years of pleasureable motoring, especially once ive got it set up for easy going quick weekends away.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21046709th Dec 2019 12:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >