DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

2012 Disco 4 Paddle Shift Tip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
GRM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
2012 Disco 4 Paddle Shift Tip

Hi All,

I'm a reasonably new member and wanted to share a tip I got at the weekend which may be useful to everyone. It may well have been reported already but I hadn't read this in the manual and was totally unaware of it.

When we got our car (2012 Disco 4 XS) we were given a voucher for a Landrover Experience half day. We went to the centre in Scotland which is in Dunkeld and went out with an instructor (Jill). I have to say she was absolutely excellent. She really knew what she was talking about and truely is an expert.

I mentioned that not long after we got the car my wife was out driving when she accidently clipped the minus paddle shift to the left of the steering wheel. It's actually pretty easy to press it by mistake. With command shift engaged it felt like ages for it to drop back into normal auto mode. Her stress levels went through the roof as she noticed the cars queuing up behind her until finally normal service was resumed.

Our instructor mentioned that if that ever happens again the problem can be simply rectified. If you pull and hold the plus paddle for 2 seconds then command shift disengages and everything goes back to normal.

Thought that might be a handy piece of information should anyone fall foul of an accidential switch into command shift, especially during a quick shopping trip with the kids in the back Wink

By the way I can thouroughly recommend a Landrover Experience day. We had a great time, learned lots and it's something which we have done as a family which will never be forgotten.

Regards

GRM

Post #96079530th Jul 2012 10:00 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

It actually works with both paddles, and if you do not touch either paddle for a short time it will revert back to full auto, think it may be 10 seconds but not positive.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #96080230th Jul 2012 10:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
smo

England 

Surely command shift allows you to use the paddles to control the gearbox....so why let traffic build up whilst going nowhere, why not use the paddles like a manual to change gear and move on?

Post #96493912th Aug 2012 10:35 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #96495612th Aug 2012 11:33 am
Dave T

England 

I was wondering about how command shift worked in a rotary selector car. Is it really 10 seconds though, in a stick operated car you push the lever over to get command shift for hill decents etc, how do you do it with the rotary control if it changes back after 10 seconds????? Confused Confused I don't have anything to experiment on until tomorrow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We were given two LRE vouchers when we bought D4 so have 2 days booked in Novenber, one in a defender and one a D4, been before several times before but still really looking forward to it. Very Happy Very Happy
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #97938520th Sep 2012 7:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dangerdave

Post #97939520th Sep 2012 7:43 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Does it really revert? How do you hold it in gear? When I descend from ski resort to town at bottom it is a 15 minute descent and currently hold it in 3rd (6 speed box) the whole way down. Really great for not having to sit on the brakes the whole time. Would not want to lose that.

Similarly on descent from chalet to road, very steep, icy switchback. I put it in low range 1st gear and keep the speed down with all wheels driving. Fantastic. Would not want it to suddenly decide to change up halfway round a hairpin with nothing below the outside wheels!
 d4 HSE  
Post #97941020th Sep 2012 8:16 am
dangerdave

Post #97942420th Sep 2012 9:09 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

If the car is in drive then it reverts after 10 seconds. If you put it in Sport then it will hold the gear until you change with the paddle or switch back into Drive. Smile
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #97946120th Sep 2012 10:51 am
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

I just want the stick back that I have on my D4 and had on my trusty old D3, just seems fiddly in my opinion.

Still, I am willing to persevere with it in a new 62 plate D4 when it comes in december Mr. Green
 2023 Ineos Grenadier 3.0 Diesel Commercial
2022 Mini John Cooper Works Hatch
2021 Golf MK8 GTD
1978 Land Rover SIII
1993 Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8

2007- Range Rover TDV8 - SOLD
2020 - Discovery 5 3.0 SD6 Landmark - SOLD
2020 - Defender 110 D240 First Edition - SOLD
2012- Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE - SOLD
2009- Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS - SOLD
2007- Discovery 3 TDV6 GS- SOLD
2001- Defender 90 Td5 - SOLD 

Post #97946420th Sep 2012 10:59 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Micky is is fiddly when not used to it. But once you have had it for a while you will not want to be without your trusty knob Whistle
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #97946720th Sep 2012 11:04 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As Russell says once you get used to it it's great and I would say it takes about a day to get used to it, you're not far from me so if you want to have a play about with my 'knob' just shout Wink Laughing Rolling with laughter
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #97951020th Sep 2012 12:45 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

stick wrote:
Does it really revert? How do you hold it in gear?

When in D mode it does revert but it takes a couple of minutes not just a few seconds, HOWEVER -it is clever enough to know not to revert if you're using engine braking down a hill - it just holds the gear you're in until you level off then it will revert to full auto after a couple of minutes or after a few seconds if you hold the + paddle.

In S mode it does not automatically revert to full auto, you have to either switch back to D or hold the + paddle for a few seconds to put it back in to full auto.

Mine doesn't go back to full auto if you hold the - paddle, only the + paddle does this.

Post #97951720th Sep 2012 12:56 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

JonM wrote:
When in D mode it does revert but it takes a couple of minutes not just a few seconds

After testing this a bit more I'll have to correct myself Embarassed : In D it does revert to full auto after 10 seconds but only if you have has the engine pulling constantly for all of those 10 seconds. If you lift off the accelerator and use engine braking it doesn't change back to full auto until you've re-applied the accelerator for 10 consecutive seconds without changing gear. Thumbs Up

Post #98024322nd Sep 2012 9:59 am
Discolegal

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I was a bit sceptical about knobs and paddles, I wasn't convinced about automatics. But 2 weeks in and I'm hooked, just have to remember which way to turn the knob from neutral when been stopped at the lights.

and Low box automatic is great for manoeuvring the caravan, range changing on the move is fine as well. Very Happy

Post #98029122nd Sep 2012 12:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >