Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

2nd worried owner to be
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Raymond

2nd worried owner to be

Hi
I have on order a V6 HSE and like Marc I have come across this site and am now slightly (acually maybe more than slightly considering the money involved!) worried at what I might take delivery of.

At the moment I have a landcruiser which has had very few problems and been great, but the discovery 3 ticked all the right boxes for me and my large family so I took the plunge and put my deposit down

Can anybody confirm, as Big Al states, that the vast majority of the problems have arisen with early prodution cars. Are any owners with post Jan 05 delivered car having any major problems. My dealer told me that about 3 weeks ago production was halted to sort out some software problems. Anybody Know about this?

I know all new designs suffer teething problems but if this was a plane it would not be allowed off the ground. Where did all those 4 million miles of testing go ?

Please help I don't want to turn into a discovery hypocondriac before I even take delivery!

Thanks

Raymond

Post #172327th Mar 2005 9:45 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Whilst there are no guarantees, I think the early cars have got the majority of glitches. Mine is a Nov 04 car, and has had three suspension errors. The dealer/Land Rover seem to be struggling to cure it.

I think the dealers hava also learnt an awful lot about the car since launch.

Post #172427th Mar 2005 1:38 pm
BN

England 

Hello Raymond, the cars do have a few problems, but don't all makes. The ride and performance of the Disco3 is brilliant for a vehicle capable of towing 3.5 tonnes and going almost anywhere in great comfort, with the correct tyres and gear of course. The main problem the current owners appear to be finding and I am no exception is with the software and certain items that ARE fitted, but do not appear to be connected, i.e. the Pre-Heater etc. I have little quirks on my vehicle which is one of the latest builds (about 1 week) but hoepfully not like some of the other guys problems. My Range Rover has no problems like the Disco3 reports even with the pre-heater which works (albeit very noisy) very well. I think a lot is that the people on this forum are car keen and want the most out of their vehicles and indeed want what ever is fitted to actually work of course. Anyone can take a car apart with defects, but we all agree it is one hell of a vehicle and it's capabilities are quite astounding. What the forum has brought out is that LR do not answer our questions quickly enough or solve the problems quickly. This is possibly because the vehicle is so sophisticated that the engineers are not up to speed with the technology yet that has been brought in by BMW and now Ford. Buy your car and enjoy. Wink

Post #172527th Mar 2005 4:41 pm
Outrageous

Re: 2nd worried owner to be

Raymond wrote:
My dealer told me that about 3 weeks ago production was halted to sort out some software problems. Anybody Know about this?

It doesn't seem to make sense to halt production to sort out software, which could be (re)installed after the vehicle was manufactured.

Post #172828th Mar 2005 1:39 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Raymond, as a worried owner to be, I guess you should ask yourself whether any current owners regret their decision to purchase and now wish they hadn't acquired a Disco 3.

Speaking for myself, this is quite simply the most accomplished car I have ever owned, or driven. It is quite astonishing how well the whole vehicle "works". That is not to say it is perfect though. In an ideal world it would weigh 500lbs less, do 20% more mpg and the software systems would be glitch free. But it isn't an ideal world and the glitches are in my case, just that. Slightly annoying (quirky even) but in no way limiting my enjoyment of, and respect for, this vehicle. If you want a car that is a delight to drive, can swallow huge families and their luggage, can laugh in the face of floods, snow, mud and rocks, whilst wrapping everything in a very safe box with a tremendous view of the surroundings - then get a Disco 3. To my mind, every other car in this class is as accomplished as the Disco in one or possibly 2 areas, but none are as accomplished in every area like the Disco 3. Razz
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #173028th Mar 2005 8:49 am
BN

England 
Re: 2nd worried owner to be

Outrageous wrote:
Raymond wrote:
My dealer told me that about 3 weeks ago production was halted to sort out some software problems. Anybody Know about this?

It doesn't seem to make sense to halt production to sort out software, which could be (re)installed after the vehicle was manufactured.

I really believe that LR have a few difficulties which in the past have never been an issue. Now a new design comes along using a lot of RR techy bits and RR's do not do the same off road as LR, even though equally capable. We know the LR3 fuel tank is of very poor design for an off roader and is involved with the pre-heater problem, however LR will not admit it, but Webasto have sort of hinted at the problem. Re software, well when they build with 'all in' plan and then omit later, we all know what software does!. Provided LR do not delete any items in future software as hinted, all will be well and they should seriously consider a re-write with re-calls if necessary to make all work that is fitted.

Post #173128th Mar 2005 8:54 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Smarticus,

Ditto... completely agree with you. Apart from my missing Settings Menu I am 110% satisfied I bought the best in class - in fact best in many classes.

Raymond... you WILL enjoy your top line V8 !! I have the TDV6 'S' and am constantly impressed with the way it can hustle along B roads considering how big this car is.

Fuel consumption is nearly 30MPG which is better than many exec saloons !

Love it !

-s

Post #173628th Mar 2005 8:56 pm
Keith Walshe

A forum like this inevitably has a lot of problems discussed but what you do not know is what % of vehicles produced have the same problem.

All 4x4's have their troubles. Landcruisers with the "advanced" Wink "independant front suspension" are suffering broken torsion bars here in Australia and I also understand that Nissan had a problem, now fixed, with the 5th gear stripping on their Patrol model.

I have had 3 Discos now; each had its problems but I have just ordered the Tdv6. It is possible that this will have a problem or two but that will be the luck of the draw as we have no control over the personal lives of the fitters and QA inspectors who worked on the vehicle we buy.

Post #173929th Mar 2005 2:18 am
Winnie

2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 4

Keith,
Here's hoping all goes well with your order, and that you will keep posting, as I'm eager to graduate from my second Disco to the TDV6, and am looking for the comfort of some evidence that the D3 initial supplies in Australia do not suffer the same apparent rather ordinary quality control as is apparent from the comments in this forum. Fingers crossed for you.

Post #174029th Mar 2005 12:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >