Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

3 ft snow drifts & rising
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
3 ft snow drifts & rising

Hi everybody, expecting my disco 3 HSE TDV6 at the end of march, getting very excited now LOL. My question is, does anyone have experience of the 3 in severe snow conditions yet ? I just drove my disco TD5 (2003) five miles back through a North East Scotland blizzard with 3+ foot icy snow drifts on dirt tracks. I have not used it in this kind of snow before, it just cut through it all like there was hardly anything there and the Traction control just went off once !!!!! I am hoping the disco 3 is up to this kind of real life use- and nothing has been sacrificed for its on road behaviour, any experiences out there ???

Post #453032nd Mar 2006 9:49 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hah you're in for a big surprise......its even better Wink
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #453052nd Mar 2006 9:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

How about this

It is extremely capable in deep snow, I had a V8 s2 Disco before the D3, and the D3 is far better in the snow.

Post #453092nd Mar 2006 10:14 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No such luck yet in a disco3, although the disco 2 I had in Kosovo was more than capable in the snow, in every way the Disco3 is head and shoulders above it so far, so I would expect it it be in snow, just remember to switch off DSC at low speeds Wink

Post #453102nd Mar 2006 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
randalls

thanks for the reassurance

thanks for the replies, I just drove a D3 demo vehicle for 30 mins - so really did not get much of an idea of the off road capabilities of the D3 other than smoothness & quietness of the ride and the lovelyness of the auto box compared to the D2. Can you switch the DSC off on the D3 then & does the DSC interfere with handling in snow ? I got the impression from reading the blurb I should just select the snow setting on the console - I see it may be more complex than that Embarassed

Post #453322nd Mar 2006 10:39 pm
10forcash

in normal road conditions, just select snow - the TR will work in high box and on road for Grass / gravel / snow. It's also the only TR programme that doesn't reset to 'road' after more than a 2 hour switch off period. you would only need to switch off DSC ( by pressing & holding the DSC button on the centre dash console for a second or so) when driving in situations where you would not want the throttle to be 'backed off', i.e. driving through drifts at low-ish speeds, or driving offroad in snow - or sand 8) that said, it doesn't really switch it off, just raise the threshold before it comes in.

Post #453362nd Mar 2006 10:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
randalls

very informative - thank you.

Post #453422nd Mar 2006 11:09 pm
10forcash

No worries, although I'd ask your dealer for an extended test drive - a day should do it - so you can play with the TR and other stuff... also the LR Experience 1/2 day or level 1 is well worth it, try and push the dealer for a voucher, which used to be included with a new vehicle but now seems to have been discontinued Sad

Post #453432nd Mar 2006 11:13 pm
randalls

well it's ordered now (D3). I am pretty confident from the things I have read that the D3 will be up to the job. I think from what I am learning here & elsewhere the D3 can probably be set back further toward a manual input from the driver than the auto D2 I have got, which will be fine. To be honest my main concern is crash safety - I was involved in a life threatening RTA - some 6 years ago, and I have driven rigid frame 4x4's ever since. I am confident the D3's combination of rigid chassis and mono coque protection will offer good crash protection in any accident, which is why I am trading my D2 in for it.

Post #453552nd Mar 2006 11:37 pm
10forcash

for sure, have a look at Nick Hearne's 'incident' details for an indication of the protection a Disco 3 affords...

Post #453572nd Mar 2006 11:40 pm
randalls

do you have a link - I cant find it ?

Post #453592nd Mar 2006 11:51 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

The Nick Hearne link is http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3070&highlight=

I did an LRE Winter Level 1 course in Finland a couple of weeks ago (I'm going to post a few more comments sometime when I get around to it). The D3 was fine there. Off-road we mostly had chains on all 4 wheels. However, even without chains, it handled snowy forest tracks with light gradients without trouble. Once it got steeper, you needed the chains, though. On a frozen lake the car drove fine - as long as you didn't over do it! Since it was pure ice underneath, you certainly could skid if you applied too much power.

It was great fun driving on the snow and ice Laughing

Eric

Post #453693rd Mar 2006 8:29 am
SN

espri wrote:
On a frozen lake the car drove fine - as long as you didn't over do it! Since it was pure ice underneath, you certainly could skid if you applied too much power.
Apart from Mr. Clarkson and friends, us Brits don't ever get the chance to drive on a frozen lake! Wink Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #453743rd Mar 2006 9:15 am
jacob

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

the car is perfect on snow, i made some friends with modifited cars
and realy mud tyres to wonder what this ''grazy car'' is doing ..??

however i feel tht on a slop with too much snow(not fresh),
a bit more aggressive tyre, could make a better ballance between cars weight and traction, and could give better control of the vehile in such
conditions. otherwise you can always use the snow chains. 8)

cheers

Post #454253rd Mar 2006 11:33 am
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

espri wrote:
The Nick Hearne link is http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3070&highlight=

I did an LRE Winter Level 1 course in Finland a couple of weeks ago (I'm going to post a few more comments sometime when I get around to it). The D3 was fine there. Off-road we mostly had chains on all 4 wheels. However, even without chains, it handled snowy forest tracks with light gradients without trouble. Once it got steeper, you needed the chains, though. On a frozen lake the car drove fine - as long as you didn't over do it! Since it was pure ice underneath, you certainly could skid if you applied too much power.

It was great fun driving on the snow and ice Laughing

Eric

I am curious. The manual says chains to only be used on the Fronts. Why would that be when they are using them on all 4's on a course ?

Post #454273rd Mar 2006 11:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >