Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

3 sets of front discs in 12 months!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
TIBBLES

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Cheers Gareth.

The set of Brembo discs and pads came with sachets of silicon grease and I removed the boots, cleaned up and refitted so no sliding issues.

See my above update re powder coated wheels. I had my wheels refurbed, put on the car then they never came off again till I had new boots fitted. It’s been ever since then I’ve had troubles so my gut feel is that something isn’t seated right and it could just be some extra paint on the rear face of the wheel. Am going to investigate and will report back.

Post #206393125th Jun 2019 3:01 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

I’m not sure how an incorrectly seated wheel causes warped discs. In my experience, an incorrectly fitted wheel causes a wobble all the time and not just under braking.

Post #206395925th Jun 2019 4:47 pm
TIBBLES

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

M3 Bobby, because there is a very slight wobble even when brakes not applied - its always hard to tell whether its because of the disc or wheel. Theory is though that if the wheel pulls the disc under tension from not being seated quite right then it wears the disc unevenly - Disc thickness variation apparently.

And given that after a new set everything is ok for a few thou, it start off light and gets quite bad quickly.

Either way, i'll be taking it all apart and sorting it. If i can i will take it to this Marcus chap and get him to skim the discs and sort the wheel rears out. He certainly knows what he's on about at least! Smile

Post #206396525th Jun 2019 5:17 pm
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

I've had this problem for a while.

It was OK when I bought the car (D4) but after a few 000 miles I got the wobbles and changed all the disks, which didn't look so old, and pads but was sent the wrong front pads so I stuck with the almost new existing ones. some 10K later I had the wobbles on braking and quite seriously, so I tried the heavy braking cure.

70MPH to 10MPH hard on the brakes over and over again until they were fading badly. Then let the brakes cool and did it all over again. IN A SAFE PLACE OF COURSE.

Result; wobbles gone.

I've concluded that the brake dust was getting impregnated into the disk causing the performance around the disk to differ so as you brake lightly some parts grab and others not so good causing an on and off braking much like ABS. But, if this happens to both wheels and the grab is out of sinc the car is braking left-right-left-right, thus causing the wobble. This also explains the initial intermittent nature of the wobble and the fact that heavy braking the wobble isn't so bad. I dare say that after some time the disk will also go out of shape due to the impregnated areas having a different ware rate than the rest.

I checked the disks both before and after and there was a huge change in appearance of the braking face. They look a lot more consistent and even now.

Take a look at your disks. if they look streaky i.e. slight colour/shade changes that don't go right around the disk this may be it for you also.

I will be changing those front pads soon, as I think they are probably the cause of my problem.
 Disco 4 2012 

Last edited by Bazza. on 18th Oct 2019 11:10 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #209331618th Oct 2019 10:28 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I rejected my 2015 HSE because it was warping it’s front discs approx every 4-5k miles. I gave LR 4 chances to fix it and then had enough.

Never had the issue with my other 5 Disco’s.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #209332118th Oct 2019 10:37 am
Mikeyb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I wonder if that is the same car..... Confused Confused Confused
 Not such a Disco Newbie now!
IID BT 

Post #209338618th Oct 2019 12:40 pm
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Bazza. wrote:

I've concluded that the brake dust was getting impregnated into the disk causing the performance around the disk to differ so as you brake lightly some parts grab and others not so good causing an on and off braking much like ABS. .

https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia/bd693...2018_1.pdf
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #210281930th Nov 2019 8:59 pm
PCT3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good read about brake performance.
I have had to cure a lot of experts bad practices over the years so don’t hold much faith in them.
I have found with experience that fitting new discs and pads requires a considerable amount of attention to cleanness. All hub and wheel faces clean and smooth often scraping to remove small fleets of rust.
New discs are covered in an anti corrosion material and not just the friction surface, all areas need washing of, then I rub/ scratch the surfaces with emery or the like, if any surface is still coated you can feel see the area re wash and repeat, you are only light scratching.
The pads are roughed up too bit more vigorously though, then rebuilding with care and even tightening, road test with some gentle bedding in of pads over a few miles, Never had a problem on the thousands of brake overhauls I have done over to many years working.
If this is a consistent repeating problem then measurements should be taken of disc wheel runout before dismantling. Not by a screw driver an a bit of string but using a dial gauge on fixed mounting.
Have in the past found hubs with runout on a new vehicle, which when a disc is fitted amplifies the runout. Another trick with the go pro type camera record the problem could easily show a completely different problem
 Discovery 3 HSE 07
Discovery 1, Search & Rescue SE4x4 Responce
Fiat Decato motor home
Mazda MX5 

Post #21029021st Dec 2019 10:31 am
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

hgrimmett wrote:
Bazza. wrote:

I've concluded that the brake dust was getting impregnated into the disk causing the performance around the disk to differ so as you brake lightly some parts grab and others not so good causing an on and off braking much like ABS. .

https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia/bd693...2018_1.pdf

Thought so, Seems to me there's a hell of a lot of disks getting sold because of this problem.

I've always changed my own disks and pads as I have a thing about relying on others in this department but never had this problem before.

I can't see there is any way the manufacturers don't know about it. Shame.
 Disco 4 2012  
Post #211994310th Feb 2020 11:59 am
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My local garage has a lift with A hydraulic shaker System that moves the whole wheel and suspension in and out to show anything with movement, can’t you find somewhere with this as I’d be looking at bearings and drive shaft because my bearing had failed but I couldn’t exerted enough force to show it
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #212007410th Feb 2020 8:26 pm
Dimcandle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Used to get the same thing a lot on Jaguars (XJ40's in particular.
Normal cause was very light corrosion between the disc and hub.

Would generally find a small area of corrosion on the face of the hub which over time gradually grew.
Surprisingly, over 3 or 4 months is would be sufficient to push the disc out of alignment and cause all the symptoms of a warped disc.
Thorough cleaning off usually cured it as long as it wasn't left long enough to damage the disk

My Jaguar XF does it occasionally (couple of times over the last 6 years) and cleaning disc/hub solves it

Post #212007810th Feb 2020 8:36 pm
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Had my 20" wheels powder coated. They made a right pigs ear of them, finish wasn't great but it was so thick even the centre caps wouldn't fit.

The norm for coaters seems to be to sand down the hub face of the wheel after coating to remove the dusting on there. Mine were not sanded but fully coated about 1mm thick. I sanded them myself but same outcome as you it wrecked a set of brakes.

Put new front brakes on and felt the wobble coming when braking again, so fitted the winter wheels (it was Oct/Nov anyway) and wobble was gone instantly.

The wheels are sitting waiting to be stripped, re-coated and have the face machined properly.

Post #212016111th Feb 2020 8:35 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When I was working for Land Rover the issue of wheel bearing tolerances ( particularly flange face Runout ) and the resulting disc thickness variation (DTV) that it could cause came up at one of the meeting we had with a bearing supplier. We are only talking of a difference of a few microns.
The LR engineer explained that DTV often showed up on vehicles mainly used on long motorway runs. The pads would just kiss the disc in the same place as the wheel rotated and produce a very small reduction in thickness at that point . .From then on it would only get worse. Vehicle used in an urban environment were not so susceptible as frequent braking would even out the wear pattern.
It seems to me that any corrosion, not cleaned off properly, or discs/ bearings out of tolerance is going to exacerbate the problem, together with actual usage of the vehicle.

Post #212018711th Feb 2020 10:29 am
MatelotBoy1

Netherlands 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
braking wobble

I had this issue a few years ago...bought the car used, got it to an indi garage who replaced the front wishbones (rear bushes totally gone) and put LR discs and pads on all round. All was good for a couple of years then got the 'wobbles'. Did the job myself, suspecting warped disks but went 'cheap' and used aftermarket discs and pads.
Problem returned after a few thousand miles and did another replacement of discs and pads but this time checked the calipers (one of the sliders was seized), cleaned and lubed, problem fixed, right?
No...this time I did some googling and found a thread that stated the flexible line to the caliper have been known to fail, effectively acting as a one way valve as they collapse internally when you take your foot off the break, so the fluid does not return and effectively keeps the brakes on a little, causing overheating and warping.
New pipes ordered, genuine discs and pad on, problem gone - and still gone (and all done at home!)

Post #22493962nd Sep 2021 8:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >