Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

4 month Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Paul White

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
4 month Review

After having my new MY 2012 HSE for 4 months, I thought it might be good to write down my thoughts so far!

Firstly, overall the car is superb, apart from......

1. Slow acceleration from standstill (I hear there is yet another software update!)
2. The information centre is painfully slow on all functions (SatNav,DAB,iPod etc)especially Satnav....I could drive to my destination quicker than it takes to load a postcode and have time to get lost!!!! Mad
3. The middle head rest is a pain as it restricts the view, why can't it fold down like the 5 seater model shown in the manual? Is there still a 5 seater model? Confused
4. MPG is disappointing, but slightly better than the 2011 if you want to believe the "Lieometer" Whistle
5. Rotary gear shift I like, but there are so many knobs to twist (Fan, Climate, Volume etc) that it gets bewildering sometimes for an old bloke like me! Smile

I love the car, but the 2011 I had before was much quicker re points 1 & 2!! For an expensive car LR should really be looking at how they can improve things!

Paul

Post #96573714th Aug 2012 2:05 pm
Paul White

Oh and forgot to mention..............

Off Road.... the only thing that might compare is a Hovercraft.

quite simply superb Very Happy Very Happy

Paul

Post #96576114th Aug 2012 3:25 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

and the negative points are......... Whistle Rolling with laughter

Post #96576314th Aug 2012 3:31 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Re: 4 month Review

Paul White wrote:
After having my new MY 2012 HSE for 4 months, I thought it might be good to write down my thoughts so far!

Firstly, overall the car is superb, apart from......

1. Slow acceleration from standstill (I hear there is yet another software update!)
2. The information centre is painfully slow on all functions (SatNav,DAB,iPod etc)especially Satnav....I could drive to my destination quicker than it takes to load a postcode and have time to get lost!!!! Mad
3. The middle head rest is a pain as it restricts the view, why can't it fold down like the 5 seater model shown in the manual? Is there still a 5 seater model? Confused
4. MPG is disappointing, but slightly better than the 2011 if you want to believe the "Lieometer" Whistle
5. Rotary gear shift I like, but there are so many knobs to twist (Fan, Climate, Volume etc) that it gets bewildering sometimes for an old bloke like me! Smile

I love the car, but the 2011 I had before was much quicker re points 1 & 2!! For an expensive car LR should really be looking at how they can improve things!

Paul

Slower than a 2011 Exclamation I would take it back to dealers, mine is much quicker than my 2011 model
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #96594314th Aug 2012 11:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KJS

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

@ Russell

And a lot less smokey !! Rolling with laughter

Post #96595614th Aug 2012 11:51 pm
Paul White

Russell,

What I'm saying is that it is slower on getting going coming out of a junction or into a roundabout, once it gets going after the lag, then yes, it is much quicker. There are numerous threads about this on this very forum!

Also the info centre is painfully slow when using the touch screen, much slower than the 2011 model.

Paul

Post #96599515th Aug 2012 8:24 am
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Paul White wrote:
Russell,

What I'm saying is that it is slower on getting going coming out of a junction or into a roundabout, once it gets going after the lag, then yes, it is much quicker. There are numerous threads about this on this very forum!

Paul

Well I think most people know mine and (most!) other 2012 owners views on this matter, and it hasn't got any better with age ! Evil or Very Mad

Where did you hear that there is yet another update ?

Paul White wrote:

Also the info centre is painfully slow when using the touch screen, much slower than the 2011 model.
Paul

.........and lets not mention the time it takes for the reversing camera to come on ......... if it does at all sometimes ! Rolling Eyes

Post #96601915th Aug 2012 10:28 am
Paul White

Yes, I agree the reversing camera seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes it does and then next time nothing for ages, if at all! I reckon LR have done it on purpose so we all slow down a bit!!! Smile

The expanded info screen when on iPod or DAB radio sometimes messes about too, most peculiar Rolling Eyes

I heard about the update from my dealer down in Salisbury, takes an hour to do apparently, but I had my local LR dealer look at it when I'd done 3k miles and they said it was a brake pedal fault....I didn't believe it then and I don't now.

The car is still a great bit of kit even so.

Paul

Post #96602915th Aug 2012 10:50 am
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks Paul, I too had the previous update and they also replaced the brake switch when they explained that was the problem with the slow response time when accelerating. Must admit it was better for a few days, but unfortunately didn't last long !

Post #96603315th Aug 2012 11:08 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

At standing start, left foot brake, wind her up and let go....... Laughing

Used to have to do this on Volvo D5 auto's I had in V70 and XC70 models. Lots of scary near misses in heavy rush hour cut'n'thrust traffic leaving junctions/entering roundabouts.

My D4 does suffer a bit of 'lag' from standing start but nothing that's worried me yet. On the one occasion I played with the flappy paddles I thought that helped, maybe worth a try (even if an expensive car like this shouldn't need that, blah, blah, blah....).

Don't agree on the info centre issues, thought it was a massive improvement over previous D3's

Probably won't have mine long enough to get to a dealer for service (company car) but would ask for them to look at the lag issue knowing what I do from this site about flashes/upgrades, etc.

Post #96603415th Aug 2012 11:16 am
Paul White

Same here!

Maybe the new update is a longer fix for the same problem...we shall see.

It is a tad dangerous at times and so I wonder whether LR shouldn't be doing a recall on it, if it's only an hour's job Whistle Question

Paul

Post #96603715th Aug 2012 11:19 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >