Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Accident
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Accident

Yesterday while in stop start traffic, the driver in front of me rolled backwards. I beeped my horn but to no avail and she ended up hitting my D4. As we got out of ours cars, she accused me of driving into her. This was not true as my foot was firmly on the brake and after exchanging details I witnessed her roll back several more times (this time I kept much more distance between us). She has claimed there is a scratch on her car as a result of this. Unfortunately I was unable to get a witness. I was alone in the car as was she. Can anyone offer any advice as to what I might be able to do? I’m not about to have this put against my insurance as I know this was not my fault.

And indeed a dash cam I feel is now a must. Could anyone recommend one?

Thanks very much.

Post #187871113th Nov 2017 7:03 am
Hormic23

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Unfortunately without a witness or cctv it will be a case of your account versus hers. If the damage was minor to both cars you might be better agreeing to make your own repairs then move on. Whilst this clearly isn't fair as you weren't at fault, without evidence showing fault on her part, combined with her comments/fabrication of events I don't see how her insurance would pay.

Via the insurance process I would guess, after a dispute both insurers would pay for their own clients claims and you would both be left with claim records.

If you have protected NCB then it might be worth a go if the damage to your car is worth the excess etc.
 2007 D3 TDV6 XS - GONE
BAS Remap
EGRs blanked
Adaptive bi-xenons
RLD spare wheel protector 

Post #187871413th Nov 2017 7:25 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Happened to me a while back

DG wrote:
Ever had a situation where you can see what is going to happen but are powerless to stop it Rolling Eyes

&feature=youtu.be

Happened on Putney Bridge this morning ....She was all over the shop before the video clip. I eventually stopped the old bat about 2 miles away at some traffic lights ..on the way there she almost ran down a woman and child on a crossing. When I spoke to her she completely denied the impact and the crossing incident...I pointed at the BlackVue and said I would report her for failing to stop and dangerous driving ..at which point she did a little poop and admitted everything. Luckily for her she had lost a bit of paint but the front of the D3 was thankfully unscathed. Drivers like this need to have their licences torn up Twisted Evil

Post #187871513th Nov 2017 7:39 am
Landroverfan1

Thanks Hormic23, much appreciated. It is very frustrating when someone deliberately lies. I will repair any damage myself and if she claims then I will get the insurers involved.

DG: Sorry this happened to you as well. I drive that route regularly and have learnt to keep a good distance from the car in front and also to watch for drivers coming in from the left as you get onto the bridge. Would you recommend this Blackvue camera?

Post #187871713th Nov 2017 7:45 am
33Lurcher

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have had the Thinkware F770 in the last 2 cars , (front & rear unit) with no issues .

Post #187871913th Nov 2017 7:52 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

She may well have done this before and have an insurance record already.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #187872213th Nov 2017 7:55 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

*****Buy a Dash Cam!!!******

After an accident last year.. I wouldn't go anywhere without one now..

Also ask if she has one, if she can show that she was stationary when the bump occurred then fair do's. but obviously it would show her rolling back (and probably on her phone)..

My accident involved and Audi coming round a corner at high speed on a narrow lane.. I went left and hit a tree stump. it happened at really low speed, but resulting in being written off.. .

Click image to enlarge
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #187874813th Nov 2017 9:43 am
muddywheels4wd

England 

LRF1 - I had similar happen to me in 2012 driving SWMBOs brand new Mini - woman reversed into me while I was stopped at railway station in car park Evil or Very Mad

I got out and knocked on her window and she ignored me at first and tried to drive away but her towbar was caught under my bumper - she eventually got out and said sorry and she would get her husband to come and sort things - we waited about an hour but he never appeared so I got her details and a taxi driver helped lift my car while she pulled free Confused

I contacted my insurer and told them but then received a call next day advising she claimed I ran into her while she was parked Shocked

I tried to get CCTV from station but they messed me about and eventually said it had been deleted and insurance wanted to settle 50/50 but I said no way and used my legal protection to fight it - took about a year to resolve but she admitted fault in the end when the court date was being set - it was stressful and nobody took any action against her for what IMHO was insurance fraud - the police advised me if I'd reported it to them initially they could of obtained CCTV but it was now too late Rolling Eyes

I've had a dashcam on every family vehicle since then which has cost me a fortune but it's the principle and one day it might be a more serious scenario - hope this helps and good luck with your fight Sad
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #187877013th Nov 2017 11:08 am
Landroverfan1

Browny90: How terrible. I am sorry that happened and hope no one was badly hurt. Some people just do not think and drive down single country lanes at whatever speed they want. It does amaze me sometimes when you see a single lane road and a sign saying you can do the national speed limit!

Muddywheels4wd:Sorry to hear this happened to you as well. I find it staggering when they then try to blame you for the accident. A dash camera is clearly a must have.

What make do you all have?

Post #187878113th Nov 2017 11:41 am
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It happened me a few years ago and I’m still laughing about it. We were stopped in a que going into a mart I had a trailer on and so had the 4X4 behind me. I could see in my mirror that both of us were distracted doing the mart paperwork when his 4x4 rolled forward into the back of my trailer very slowly. A bit of a bump but nothing much. Both of us just sat there for a minute or two but I could see the other driver getting more and more cross. Finally he jumped out and came storming up to my window giving out mad that I hadn’t put the handbrake on and had rolled into him. I politely pointed out we were on quite a slope and that he had rolled into me. He looked at the ground realised it was his fault turned purple apologised and ran back to his 4x4.

Post #187881313th Nov 2017 12:40 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

“Tyres and Tarmac” was a good tip that I learned many years ago during my Police driver training. Basically, if you leave enough space behind the vehicle in front and can see a bit of ‘Tarmac’ under the rear ‘tyres’ it has several benefits.

Firstly, it should prevent incidents like the OP’s happening, or at least give you a bit of time to do something about it.

Secondly, if the vehicle in front conks out then there should be room for you to manouvre around it without having to reverse (and the half a mile of traffic behind you!).

Thirdly, should your vehicle move forwards for any reason, again there should be time and space to stop without hitting what’s in front of you.

Fourth, heavens forbid, if anyone should run into the back of you (at low speeds of course), then hopefully you’ll not be shunted into the vehicle in front.

It’s surprising, but the first time of two that you do this, you think that you could get an artic between you and what’s in front, but in actual fact you will be closer than you think.

I know that none of this helps the OP, and I sincerely hope that the matter is resolved properly.

Post #187883313th Nov 2017 1:04 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

At the risk of being overly cynical, stand by for the claim for whiplash injuries!
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #187884713th Nov 2017 1:47 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

A very posh lady in an Audi helped herself to the back of a Deafner I was driving a few years back. I say driving but I was stationary with the handbrake on and had been for over a minute. She was out in a flash and blaming me for reversing into her. When she clocked how many witnesses there were she then tried to drive off but the hitch had decided that that was not going to happen.

Managed to get footage of her smoking her tyres and clutch in her efforts to leave but the noise of her attempted escape was clear enough for the police operator to make out during the 999 call. It was probably a bit rude of one of my guys to tap her window with his rifle as I think she messed herself. She was certainly less than keen to get out when the police arrived. Company car, fully insured so not sure why she was so stupid.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #187885113th Nov 2017 2:07 pm
Hormic23

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter Robbie
 2007 D3 TDV6 XS - GONE
BAS Remap
EGRs blanked
Adaptive bi-xenons
RLD spare wheel protector 

Post #187885813th Nov 2017 2:24 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had similar to Robbie many years back in a Series II.

I'd fitted a front tow ball to the bumper to ease manoeuvring the boat down slipways etc.

On a hill and woman in front rolled back into me - obviously no handbrake or brain applied. Got out just to make sure she was OK (i.e. hadn't had a medical incident) and she got very defensive. Now slow speed impact damage to the front of the Series wasn't in my mind - it was pretty 'work worn'....

However, she got angry, swore at me and, despite me trying to stop her, put her foot down and accelerated sharpish.....

..... leaving her pristine bumper and sundry other bits on the road - I had tried to warn her she'd ridden onto the tow ball......
 I see no ships........  
Post #187886313th Nov 2017 2:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >