Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Adrian Flux, buyer beware!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
2DISCO3ORNOT

DrLex wrote:
Isn't a situation like this exactly what the insurance ombudsman is there for?

The insurance ombudsman was friendly enough but tells me the process will take at least six months to initiate. Thye steered me to the ABI (assoc. Brit Insurers) who in turn steer me back to the Ombudsman!

Post #66379423rd Jun 2010 10:10 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Prepare a letter to the ombudsmen outlining your case. Before you send it to them, send a copy to AF for their review. Might just be enough to rattle their cage, and might save you months of arguing.

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #66379523rd Jun 2010 10:11 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

2DISCO3ORNOT wrote:
DrLex wrote:
Isn't a situation like this exactly what the insurance ombudsman is there for?

The insurance ombudsman was friendly enough but tells me the process will take at least six months to initiate. Thye steered me to the ABI (assoc. Brit Insurers) who in turn steer me back to the Ombudsman!

If the case is as clear cut as you say and it was me I'd issue small claims proceedings for the extra premium plus anticipated losses resulting from impact on NCB being lost. Costs about £30, they have to respond (if not judgement awarded against them), done online unless they want a hearing but then they've got to come to your court, and once you've got judgement send the bailiffs round! Thumbs Up Check the procedure (there are several) but even if they get hotshot lawyers in the small claims system neither side gets any costs awarded even if they win, so no big bills -but check before you start as it may have changed.

If I thought it was done deliberately then I'd also be looking at s.2 and 3 of the Fraud Act 2006.

Before all that I'd get onto the insurers themselves and explain the situation and that you're going to create an almighty Censored storm with the press (forums, Watchdog, Honest John, Big Brother etc) and may be they want to have a look at it - tell them you know its probably not their fault but you ain't avin' it! For the sums involved they might prefer not to have their name dragged through the mud as the press, like lawyers, go for the big name. Some obscure broker is not news where as a big nasty household name insurer is (even tho it appears its not their fault!) Insurers don't need nitwit brokers causing them reputational damage and bad press.

And remember I'm not a lawyer, so obviously this is entirely at your own risk. And if it isn't quite as clear cut then don't try it!
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #66669930th Jun 2010 10:23 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

DO add the weight of Honest John of the Telegraph. He sorted my Warranty Direct refusal-to-pay out, despite ND knowing he is called Peter... Shocked
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #66673930th Jun 2010 10:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

If the insurance ombudsman is in the same league as the financial omdudsman they will fall into the same category of efficiency as a chocolate tea pot.

Lot's of rules, regulations, advertising, but actually zero action when it's necessary.

If you feel strongely about it, maybe the legal route is the only option for a speedy resolution. From my dealings with the financial regulators, you will earn your no claims back before they sort themselves out.

Having just been dealing with the financial ombudsman I really hope the insurance one is better.

Post #6668031st Jul 2010 8:19 am
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

No better than the legal ombudsman then lol

Post #6668201st Jul 2010 8:56 am
2DISCO3ORNOT

Hi Guys thanks for the ongoing input, Countrywide, it is the Financial Ombudsman that handles the insurance claims, and after speaking to them they sound a bit "toothless" to say the least. I will however keep that iron in the fire. Thumbs Up

Ruggedpeak your solution sounds like the only one to get their undivided attention, I have been down this route with a business deal before and it is efficient and not too costly as the claimant. I have talked to the underwriter, RSA, and their stance is clear and understandable, they paid out as there was no third party so they nullified the NCB, this however does not exonerate Adrian Flux from categorically stating in black and white that our NCB would be retained before we went ahead with the claim!!

AndrewW I dont read the Telegraph anymore but I will look at Honest John, because quite frankly I am really Pi..ed off with Adrian Flux now, the total losses over the next four years, in premiums, will amount to almost £4.5k. Evil or Very Mad

Post #6668451st Jul 2010 10:10 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Assuming the letter was unequivocal about the NCB and there's no wriggle room if it were me I'd crack on. Usual health warning, I'm not a lawyer, and if anyone asks I was never here, your home may be at risk if you set fire to it etc etc.

Have a dig in here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/threads.htm?f=12

I've pm'd you as well.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #6672001st Jul 2010 10:48 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Firstly thanks all for the great help Thumbs Up

I have just had a call from the head of customer relations and (taking his word for it) he has managed to get RSA to reinstate my NCB, very apologetic and remorseful that it wasn't sorted out earlier. Thats the good news.

So then i had a call from their sales team, bearing in mind last years premium was Approx £650 this years quote with the same NCB is £1200. Apparently the insurance market is a volatile place and they cannot roll over my old policy now with the same underwriter as it expired whilst we were in conflict. Yawn

I will transfer the NCB to The Co-op who are now insuring us for £1100 without NCB.

I reiterate...........Adrian Flux buyer beware!!

Post #6673002nd Jul 2010 10:36 am
flinty99

England 

Good news glad you seem to have got this sorted.

I was chatting with an Adrian Flux customer services guy the other week when my renewal came through at twice last years premium (and that was without any claims being made). At that point RSA had pulled the plug on AF and would not underwrite them.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #6676182nd Jul 2010 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

RSA sound worse than Adrian Flux for backing out on deals... Quite how you wriggle out of "9/11" I can't imagine. Wrong sort of terrorist? Somebody left a window open allowing the 747 to fly in? Don't you just LOVE insurers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_Insurance_Group

Glad you're through the nightmare, 2D3O!

Martin - could your nerves stand a DISCO3.CO.UK policy? Whistle

A
Post #6679474th Jul 2010 3:07 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Most insurance policies exclude acts of terrorism. Sad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6679494th Jul 2010 3:15 am
AndrewW

SSsshhhhh! You'll give them ideas!

"Sorry, Sir, but in our view anyone who could key your lovely shiny D3/4 is a terrorist and hence you are not covered"!"

But, yes, living in a quiet part of the world I had forgotten that. I wonder if RSA HAD put it in their small print - why would anyone have tried a WTC claim if they had....? $250millions-worth, too.
Post #6679514th Jul 2010 4:05 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

wanted to add another warning re adrian Flux,

so i took out insurance with them 6 weeks ago,, total cost of £500 for work use, inc offroad winch etc etc,,

anyway, with the D3 going i phoned to cancel,, they calculated my policy severance at costing me over £200 for 6 weeks insurance..

the small print is that when you opt to pay monthly ( a sensible business choice to spread the cost) i was not made aware that they would effectively sell my debt to a loan provider that charged 14% ETC ETC.

SO i'd actually taken out a loan without even realising it,,

a bunch of con artists,, i asked for the paper work that explains this as it was most certainly NOT said over the phone..

i didnt want to take out a loan to pay my insurance..

beware....
 one wife.......livid  
Post #78833721st Apr 2011 3:43 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the warning. I was about to contact AF and get a quote.

If anyone is interested, A-Plan in Tooting have always given my company and family great service and competitive quotes.

05 D3 S Manual. 44 yo male, 9 NCB (protected) Director, 4 named drivers, 3 claims in 3 years (1 very big), de-cat, Allisport and remap, business use. Annual mileage 20k. Stored on the road in a village outside Bath. £807 with £250 excess.

Post #78837021st Apr 2011 5:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >