Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Advice on fault finding trans noise please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Advice on fault finding trans noise please

I've started to get a couple of extra noises from the car.

The first is a knocking when accelerating from stop; this is felt through the steering wheel, and can also be heard. The magic carpet ride is also somewhat jaded (yes, I've checked the swinging plums and they're OK) so would I be right in assuming ARB shims required? Or could it be something else?

The second is a whine that is more apparent when cornering, but almost silent when driving straight.

When driving up Hardknott pass last year, I could hear some very loud transmission whine whilst taking the sharp bends, but it went away and hasn't re-occurred at that volume.
What I am getting now is the same whine but very quiet, yet (to my ears) increasing slowly in volume over time. If this is a problem in the making, I'd rather it was found and rectified whilst still in warranty, but when I asked my dealer to look into the original loud whine, they found nothing wrong.

Contradicting my initial thoughts that it's diff related, the whine seems to be engine speed related, rather than road speed.

Is there someone knowledgeable on here who could advise as to what setup (range/gear/mode) I can try to make this kind of noise more apparent so a technician can appreciate it too?

Many thanks,

P.S> I wonder what cost a TFC pre-warranty expiry vehicle check would be Whistle

edit : changed subject as I missed some words out
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Last edited by stapldm on 22nd Apr 2009 1:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #45689320th Apr 2009 2:54 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Drive on the road in low range, with the gearbox in normal (not sport or command shift). This will highlight any higher speed gearbox noises, as the main gearbox/transfer box input shaft will be spinning at much higher speeds relative to road speed.

It means you won't have to do 100mph to expose any high speed issues, when wind noise would obscure it.

I think the dealers would also lift the vehicle on a 4 post lift, and 'drive' the car with the wheels off the ground to expose any noise that would be insulated from the interior. However, some noises would only be apparent when under load, so this method may not be entirely accurate.

Post #45692120th Apr 2009 3:40 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks Gareth, I have done this, and here are my observations.

1. There is an audible whine that is road speed dependant. It appears on acceleration and engine braking but reduces volume in the slack in between these two. It sounds like the original Kirk driven USS Enterprise being pushed to too high a warp, or the transmission whine of a Vauxhall Viva being reversed with the engine at redline. It's not loud, but it's not nice and I don't know if it's a problem or normal for low range; it certainly wasn't there at new.

2. As the engine revs increase, and just before each gear change, you can hear a warble like a failed tensioner/idler pulley on a drive belt. If you hold the revs at the point the sound starts, it continues until you slow down or accelerate again to change gear. I can just feel this through the steering column. This doesn't appear to be directly RPM related, harder acceleration changes gear later but the noise still just precedes the gear change.

3. It didn't recreate the noise I can hear in high range - these are two new noises Big Cry

Any ideas?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #45762922nd Apr 2009 12:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >