Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Advice needed for Buying a D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Moller22

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Advice needed for Buying a D4

So currently I own a D3 SE with 186k on the clock. Recently hadxa new gearbox and Torque Converter at a very expensive 2.5k cost to me! Now the car has had a few hiccups since then which has caused my wife to be hugely doubtful of the car. We are currently expecting our second child and having a car which could potentially not start like this one has...has become an issue for me. I need to ensure my wife can get around as I work in farming and being able to come back to sort a problem out isn't an option.

Now... we have been to look at D4 12 plate HSE with 85k on the clock. Small history as the previous owner did all the services himself. This is has been advertised at 15
2k which is about right. I guess. This obviously has the high tax band of £585 which is part of the reason we went for a d3 previously.

What is the opinion in getting a new D4 say 65plate which would be ULEZ compliant and lower tax and better fuel economy but potentially have a higher mileage to be within budget?

I am so stuck with what to do!!!

Post #228538127th Mar 2022 9:34 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Go for a well maintained Eu6 car. Ignore fuel economy. It’s a red herring in a 3tonne 4x4 brick. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #228538427th Mar 2022 9:41 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

how big is your wallet ? they are not cheap to repair...but what is these days...the eight speed was considered better,,and as said service history etc,,there are low mileage ones around if you are willing to wait see...we never had auto until disco so it was suck and see...liked it right away.as a vehicle fantastic.. enjoy

Post #228540227th Mar 2022 11:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm a great D4 fan and I'm sure that a D4 would be good for you in some form or another. But if you work in farming, I somehow wonder if a nice pickup might be the answer. A nice reliable Toyota or maybe a VW Amarok (if you want to be a bit more classy). Plenty of room in the back for prams/pushchairs etc and still room for 5. Just a thought. Might get drummed out of this forum now (joke - I hope) but maybe worth considering.

Post #228584230th Mar 2022 8:05 pm
Moller22

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Thank you for the point of view and as for working in farming I do work in farming however the most the car does as for a bit of off reading would be going to the farm on a muddy layby!

We have made the plunge and bought the discovery 4 with the low mileage!!! First port of call...service and belts changing!!!

Any ideas as to what that would roughly cost?

Tia for any help or info!

Post #228599631st Mar 2022 8:40 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Without wishing to be trite, depends where you take it.

And on the subject if I were you I'd seek out a decent independent who has the experience and recommendations on here to look after your prized D4. It will last longer and cost less in the long run if you develop a decent relationship with and independent service outlet that you can trust.

I paid around £900 for belts and a 60k miles service at mine in Oxfordshire.

There's always something you could spend money on but the basics should be a given....

Thumbs Up
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #228599731st Mar 2022 8:52 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Pedros wrote:
I'm a great D4 fan and I'm sure that a D4 would be good for you in some form or another. But if you work in farming, I somehow wonder if a nice pickup might be the answer. A nice reliable Toyota or maybe a VW Amarok (if you want to be a bit more classy). Plenty of room in the back for prams/pushchairs etc and still room for 5. Just a thought. Might get drummed out of this forum now (joke - I hope) but maybe worth considering.

Lol sounds a bit like a D4 snob !!! My D4 goes places a pickup cant and works on the farms every day. Had several years away from LR in top of the range pick ups and have to say I came back to D4 as it is just so much more comfortable and capable even though the tax hit is more difficult to swallow when VAT registered ,however worth it . Just wish they were more reliable .
Not sure I would be buying right now as its top of a distorted market and will only be headed in one direction. My WBAC valuation is not much over what the OP is paying + 1k for belts. Its a 16 plate with 75k miles and new engine. These artificially high prices seem to be accepted as the norm but I can feel the tears starting to run in the next twelve months as they correct themselves as the supply issues get less of a problem.

Post #22860191st Apr 2022 6:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >