Advice sought, buying first Disco /glad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mark33

United Kingdom 
Advice sought, buying first Disco /glad

Hello all,

Am new to your forums, so please be gentle with my first post Smile

As the subject says, about to take the plunge and (most likely) buy a new D3, but any thoughts / suggestions would be most helpful.

For example, i'm looking to buy a D3 HSE (with the long sunroof) - £37k seems to be the going rate for a pre-reg / showroom model. A 20% discount vs RRP seems ok in these tough times - any thoughts?

Or would I be wiser waiting for the new D4 model (better fuel economy, better tax etc, less depreciation) , but no discount, so £45k poorer.

Are there any "must have" extras I'd be a fool not to have? (don't tow / offroad [yet] so going for sunroof and metalic paint)

Thinking of using the main deler in Lewes, East Sussex as its closest - this forum seems to have a couple of "very happy" posts about Caffyns, but do you have any useful info about them in particular or dealerships in general as I am definately a Disco newb Smile

Sorry for wall of text and thankyou for help in advance

Mark33

Post #48042912th Jun 2009 12:43 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up very jealous, you being in the position of being able to choose now d4 or 3 must be nice, personally my thoughts are if you go for the d3 in 2 months time it is the "old" model... but, it's still a great car,,,

if i could afford the 4 i'd go for that one.... esp with that lovely 3L engine...

Post #48043312th Jun 2009 12:45 pm
Rob B

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not sure which side of Lewes you are on but I always seem to get better deals from Guy Salmon in Crawley Sad Service is fine in Lewes though, they just seem to follow the factory line in the Sales area.

As to the D3/D4. Just had a second look at the D4 in Canary Wharf. If you are not thinking of adding lots of non standard kit (i.e. radios etc up front) then the D4 will be ok. If you do though then the more soft feel wrap-around interior may be an issue. Question is, is it worth £10k more?

Post #48045412th Jun 2009 1:14 pm
Rob B

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If it wasn't for my extra kit, I'd like the new interior.

Last edited by Rob B on 12th Jun 2009 1:39 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #48045512th Jun 2009 1:15 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

But there are still deals to be done on the D3's so let's not put him totally off the idea Confused

37 up to 47 is a BIG jump and I gotta think that most people wouldn't be able to make that leap.

The D3 is a great vehicle. HSE will give you all the toys, although check if you want TV in there or not.

It will have pretty much everything else you could want is is a fantastic motor (especially in Black 8) )

D4 is slightly better on fuel, same as D3 for road tax (both still in current high bracket). The D4 DOES have a lovely interior, more cosseting than the D3, but there again, the D3 is so cavernous inside, SWMBO always says it's like driving in an armchair!

Can't help you on dealers down that way, but if it helps, I bought mine via the internet (sainsburys), no dealer could match the price directly, it was supplied through marshalls in lincoln and my servicing is done by Yeovil Landrover. A bit of a trek for me, but I know teh guys there will do anything right as long as they get their donuts! Smile

Good luck & hope to see you're permagrin back soon.... Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #48046212th Jun 2009 1:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

D3 HSE is a great car.

The D3/D4 question is also depending how long you plan to keep the car. If it will be only 2 years or so then your trade in value might be influenced by the first D4's coming available secondhand. If you plan to keep it longer say 5 years or more I think a D3 will be a very good choice.

I will say it again: The D3 HSE is a great car.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #48047112th Jun 2009 1:51 pm
mark33

United Kingdom 

to ad15

many thanks (lets put it this way, its taken a long long time)

to Rob B

The interior of pretty much any new car will be vastly superior than my current (a 4 yr old Avensis estate with a 4 yr old little one Smile )

I shall definately have a word w ith your guys. As far as non standard kit is concerned, my current needs (rural mainly) mean that the standard kit will (I hope) suffice.

to Bodsy

Im not a multi-millionare Smile so Im viewing this as a 10 year purchase, rather than replacing in 2 or 3 years. Is £8-10k better (D3) than full list for D4?. Still looking @ D3 (maybe i'm just grumpy / tight).

Tax and fuel over (say 10 years) not worth the same as discount on D3? hmm Smile

to Roel

Hopefully a long time, and im leaning more towards the D3 Smile

Post #48057312th Jun 2009 4:47 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

have a word with one of our site sponsors or speak to the very much respected forum member "TLO" aka The Large One, he's the parts manager at Yeovil LR where alot of us go to have ours repaired, nice guys and explain you just signed up to this forum, they offer discounted servicing/parts for disco3 forum. I'm sure they'll sell yer a very good "nearly new HSE" or a new D4 Thumbs Up

PS Also thread on the site under Disco4 for bulk purchases of the new one if I recall. Thumbs Up

Post #48077812th Jun 2009 11:01 pm
mark33

United Kingdom 

Many thanks to all replies.

As a quick update, bought a D3 HSE (silver / ebony inside, tow bar) for what I hope to be a fair price (although the deals of a few months ago are long gone).

Picking up on Friday and family very excited Smile

Refuse ever to check re-sale value but will instead drive it for the next 10 years and enjoy the LR experience!!

Keep well all Smile

Post #48621624th Jun 2009 10:30 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #48621924th Jun 2009 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Cracking job Mark. Now, as you're in Sussex I think your first "road trip" needs to be up the M23 and around the M25 to Cobham next Tuesday for the South East meet at the Fairmile. Usually at least a dozen Disco3 members in evidence, with a special guest appearance from Bodsy this month Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #48622624th Jun 2009 10:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >