DISCO4.COM > Africa

Air jacks in SA
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Air jacks in SA

Just bought the Takla 2.5T

It cost R2900 from their factory in Kyalami - very convenient for me at least.

The product is really robust, as Slimer and TFC have posted already. Works easily and does the job.
I like the possibility of connecting a compressor too - it means you can use the jack for other vehicles if you have a portable compressor.

What I am not too charmed about is the packaging, and the bungs that are supplied.

1) There is no carry bag supplied, so it means the accessories (like the 2nd bung) could potentially get lost or damaged, rendering the jack useless in the bush.

2) The bungs, whilst functional, aren't exactly the spider's pyjamas. They are made of plastic & look pretty flimsy, and might get easily damaged or broken in the heat of the moment.

I have ordered a set of bungs from TFC, which I will hopefully get next week. Will report back on this.
Does anyone know of a carry bag available for these airjacks? I got all excited thinking an outdoor warehouse skottel-braai bag would work, but it's just too small.

Post #15903219th May 2007 5:16 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Air jack

Saw airjack at 4X4 Megaworld in Fourways yesterday - just under R1k - red in colour and looked pretty flimsy to me. Will have a look at the Takla.
Baben - I bought a canvas bag from the same place recently for our alumunium fold-up table. They come in small, medium, large - one of them could do the trick for a bag for jack. I would imagine the bag should also be big enough to place underneath the jack when in operation to prevent any damage/punctures ?

Post #15929520th May 2007 7:21 am
Baben

Thanks Deon - I should have remembered, 'cos we bought a couple of canvas bags there a while back.

I don't think the Takla needs any extra protection - you will know what I mean once you see it - the top & bottom both have a thick rubber protection layer. I will bring it to the Baron on Friday and if you haven't seen it by then you can have a gander.

Post #15934720th May 2007 3:01 pm
jtm

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Baben
I looked at the Takla, Easy Lift and Front Runner today. The Takla looks the best. Just a few questions. The Takla bung does not fit tightly into the tailpipes. Does that mean you have to hold it by hand? Then you need at least three persons to use the jack? One for the stopper bung, one for the blower bung and one at the jack? Could you hold it tight enough to prevent gas leaking at the tailpipes? Was the presure enough or did you push the accelerator? Then you may nead a forth person?
Glad we at least have a solution to the flimsy scissor jack!!
jtm

Post #16011921st May 2007 10:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

HI JTM

The bungs are supposed to expand when you screw them clockwise - the salesperson should have been able to show you this. You can operate the jack by yourself.

TFC is sending me some improved bungs, which I will fit to the Takla. Watch this space

Post #16018622nd May 2007 8:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >