DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Alloys seem to be scratching
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 
Alloys seem to be scratching

I cleaned my alloys yesterday and noticed after they seem to be gettin small scratches in them mainly between the spokes from the cleaning. Not sure which wheels i have but i believe they were an upgrade 18" on my SE (see gallery).
I used alloy wheel cleaner twice since i had em, now even if i run my finger nail over them it leaves a mark.
Have i done summat wrong for them to do this or is there a problem with the alloy, i used the same wheel stuff on my old L200 warrior with no problem for 3 years, now 2 months into the D3 ownership they now look crap!
Now i cant clean em properly as when i do it just scratches more, so still covered in brakedust Sad
Should i go back to LR or wait for em to look real bad and get a refurb?
Help would be appreciated please guys Exclamation
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #2573409th Feb 2008 2:14 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
.......wot

......are you using to clean your wheels
What detergent or "bottled" cleaner ?
What sort of brush ?

I don't like using the cleaners that have acids / caustic solutions...some are really aggressive..it finds it way under the paint & lacquer & reacts with the alloy.........white spirit & washing up liquid works reasonably well & doesn't do the above damage & I ma very selective which sort of brush I use - some are so stiff the will damage the wheel finish - low cost washing up brushes seem to be OK - be selective.
Whatever you do don't use Abrasives like wire wool - or Scotchbrite pads....I have seen this done & it wrcks the clear laquer applied over the silver paint finish
I saw a post with the 99p IKEA brush - these are just the right shape & size also have the right "bristles"

But if the wheel finish rubs off with you nail the surface has softened......oh Censored
I cant suggest what to do next other than seek out a wheel re finisher....they should be some in South Yorkshire on the net....whether your warranty would work on this ????
Don't know you exact area but here is a start......
http://www.yell.com/quickclicks/SP/C/Car_Body_Repairs/wakefield/1
ask what they going to do....these guys processes do vary....some are cowboys......the tyres may have to come off to do the job properly.

I have tried the Car Plan "Nanomeric" wheel protect & sealant & over a year in it seems to keep the wheels free of brake dust - I have only had to clean with car shampoo....brake dust just wipes off......+ there is no sign of scratching or pitting
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 9th Feb 2008 3:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2573529th Feb 2008 3:07 pm
Skep

United Kingdom 

I been using a halford wheel cleaner and a toothbrush but this was causing the scratching, now got 1 of the autoglym brushes with autoglym wheel cleaner, but it aint fetching off the heavy brake dust. Gonna try sealing them in a bit with alloy cleaner see what they look like if not i seen these guys http://www.fenwicksupplies.com/service.htm which cover my area, just outside sheffield, might give them a ring see what they suggest and a possible quote, guessin the alloys may not be of best quality and a polish and couple of coats of lacquer may help. dont think i will get anywhere with warranty as it looks like my mistake somewhere, but dont see how in such a small space of time.
does the white spirit and washing up liquid get rid of most of the grime, might be worth me trying
Club Side Skeps 

Post #2573559th Feb 2008 3:14 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

...skep

I devised the white spirit & Fairy liquid fluid after destroying a set of Volvo alloys....also was a lot cheaper & safer to use.
The clue to how aggressive may be found on the wheel cleaner bottle instructions - some say leave on for just 30 seconds.....some even less...these just have to be aggressive to laquer finish & the alloy beneath.

A tooth brush is a bit harsh & only has short bristles - the scratching is probably due to the plastic head of the tooth brush.
I have look at most of the wheel brushes on sale & lots seem to be very stiff - they will scrub the brake dust off & the paint beneath.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #2573569th Feb 2008 3:24 pm
Skep

United Kingdom 

just sealed the alloys and they dont look too bad at the moment, hardly noticeable really unless you got your face up to em! only to me really cos i know about it now Rolling Eyes
I am guessing the whitespirit and fairy is just rubbed on with a cloth on the areas needed? then washed with soapy water after? may give this ago sounds like a better idea than expensive alloy stuff,
Cheers for your advice BLF, ill have to see what happens next time i clean em! Big Cry
Club Side Skeps 

Post #2573739th Feb 2008 3:58 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Most wheel cleaner are dilute Hydrochloric acid or phosphoric acid, these will on good solid unbroken lacquer films eventual dull them, but should not dissolve them away, and it is the rubbing with a stiff brush that over time causes the damage.

On a broken film, then you have problems, don't use any off the shelf wheel cleaners - the suggestion of white spirit and washing up liquid is as good as I have heard, then use one of the anti brake dust lacquers.

Land Rover are unique as the paint specification for their lacquered wheels also include any acid test –this date back to the need to use the vehicle on a farm where the manure is acidic, or so I am lead to believe. I presume the spec is sill used on D3 wheels- it was a RES (Rover / BL) spec, this in theory makes it more stable with the modern wheel cleaners.

This does not solve your problem of soft lacquer. If the lacquer hardens back up over a week or so after the wheel has been washed normally that’s ok, this is typical of a standard brake fluid test on epoxy painted wheels and callipers. I am less familiar with the clear power coatings, but, some form of solvent attack is possible, you do not use MEK, gun wash or similar any where do you?

As for refinishing them, if they are powder coated there is a company in Birmingham called Lap Tab who refinish wheels.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #2573839th Feb 2008 4:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Skep

United Kingdom 

i have only treated them to off the shelf stuff twice and now wishin i hadnt but surely the lacquer wouldnt come off that quicly would it? ill leave it a bit see if it hardens back up, if so ill have to put up with the brake dust a bit and not scrub so hard! do you think i may get anywhere with landrover as the car aint even a year old and i only had it for 2 months before which it was a demo vehicle, or will they turn round and say not a chance its summat i done? how much do ya rekon to refinish the set?
Club Side Skeps 

Post #2573899th Feb 2008 5:06 pm
NJF

I normally only use a sponge and hot water, and the wheels come up fine. From what you've described, perhaps you should show the dealer. It could be a manufacturing problem?

Maybe it's a good opportunity to powder coat them black? Looks good on the D3. I'm thinking of getting it done on my winter wheels.

Post #2574339th Feb 2008 7:39 pm
BLFarrar

...just a question

is the original finish powder coat ?

I was told by a technical guy at Montupet (In the Belfast old DeLorean Plant premises) they make engine aluminium parts & alloy wheels)......they used a single pack paint & lacquer . Powder coat is tough(er) but doesn't do too well on wheels with sharp profile corners.....

Good idea re finishing them black - then you don't see the brake dust

Moose - Thanks for the data on LR /BL wheel paint specs...all the Disco wheels I have had have been flawless for the length of time Ive had the vehicle - the only exceptions to this is where I have dinged the wheel....then had it fixed "locally at that point".
My D3 HSE wheels seem OK at 18 months.
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #2574659th Feb 2008 8:38 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would not expect the clear coat to be a single pack paint, it is very unlikely it would meet the chemical stability tests. More likely to be a two pack PU or modified PU /epoxy. these in my experience are when fully cured more resistant to brake dust*** attack than the clear powder coat systems

***the brake dust contains all sorts of metals including copper and a lot of iron filling from the disc, these latter two are the black particles that burn there way into your nice shiny painted wheels.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #25756010th Feb 2008 12:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >