Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Amateur Radio Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have an external one in footwell, hidden. Some guys take the speaker out of the casing on externals cos the actual speaker is only 2.5 inch and fits really well inside a vent near satnav screen.

Post #35144829th Sep 2008 3:32 pm
GW7AAV

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

jik22 wrote:
GW7AAV wrote:

To give you some idea I will be installing a dual band Alinco with remote head and an Yaseu FT-857 also with remote head.

Out of interest, why the Alinco as well, when the Yaesu already does HF, VHF and UHF?

Simply that for day to day stuff like chatting to the XYL (she is licenced too) or mates I tend to use either 2m FM simplex or 70cm repeaters depending where I am. However I like to drive up to high spots from time to time and play HF or 2m ssb. My dual band rig is also often used during outings with RAYNET as a cross-band repeater under a "notice of variation". While this is happening I like to work a bit of DX on HF or chase Summits On The Air stations.

Monitoring three bands in the car is still less than I do in the radio shack at home where I usually monitor eight or so frequencies from 80 metres up to 23cm.

On the subject of the ATAS (yes it is the 120) I have at least a dozen guys I know really well who can not praise it highly enough and I am impressed with what I have seen (or should that be heard). I think there are problems with the weather proofing but most people simply don't put it on in the rain, mine will be liberally coated in silicon grease every few months. I have never heard of the Codan or the Barrett so I will do a Google later. Another problem on the ATAS is the grounding which needs to be 100% or it will not function automatically as you change bands. My fix for this is a separate earthing cable. I used 6mm cable on the MkII Disco as I had trouble getting a good earth on the gutter mounts, it was okay when parked but iffy when actually mobile.

I thought about a rear wheel carrier too for about 40 seconds until I found a picture, pity because it was a great place on the previous two models with a bracket behind the wheel..
 Best regards Steve GW7AAV
http://www.gw7aav.com
http://www.cqhq.co.uk 

Post #35186329th Sep 2008 10:21 pm
jik22

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

v40mav wrote:

One point to clarify for those who have done so - what have you done re - speakers.

As my main unit is under the passenger seat, the inbuilt speaker seems fine. Worst ways, if it turns out to be poor at speed, I thik I'd just put an amplified speaker next to it.

I wouldn't use the aux, because I like to have the stereo (Or DVD player which is currently wired to the aux input) on and with the radio monitoring the calling or repeater channels in the background. I guess it depends how you intend to use the radio and/or the stereo.
 - Jeff K -  
Post #35194830th Sep 2008 1:45 am
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I am coming to this thread a little late... but I have a Kenwood TMD-700A mounted in the rear left cubby in the cargo area. The remote control head is up on the trim panel with the interior lights and sunroof control between the front seats.

It has worked out extremely well, as I can use the rear wire grommets behind the rear lights to route the RF and GPS data cables (I have a Garmin OEM GPS mounted on the roof and wired to the 700A). The control display is also out of the way from errant cup holder splashes and other bad things.

Take a look at some pictures I took a while back:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1135
 2005 LR3 HSE - ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, Custom Rock Sliders and Skid Plates, BBS Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme, Kenwood TMD-700, etc, etc,
1965 Series IIA 

Post #35875012th Oct 2008 2:49 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

JMC wrote:

Alex - spectacles required.... Shocked It is a 706..... Wink
:

Embarassed Yes - so it is..........and a good piece of kit too. Thumbs Up

I too use the AUX input for speakers when I want some volume - there is a headphone out on the detached front panel of the 706 and I connect this to the AUX in. However most of the time I use a boom headset with single headphone when driving. When not driving the speaker volume from the base at the rear is fine to hear what is playing.

Post #35907713th Oct 2008 9:46 am
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

I installed my Kenwood in the rear side locker and tok the power from the towing electrics also. Still to sort out a proper mount for the antenna, but copied everyone else on the roputing down the outside of the rear panels. Volume from a remote speaker tucked under the rear seat was adequate, but never thought about the aux input.

See you at the Borders V40Max
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #35993914th Oct 2008 9:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >