Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Which Android GPS/Multimedia unit to buy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Which Android GPS/Multimedia unit to buy?

Hi,

Over the course of several hours driving today I decided I absolutely have to install an Android Sat Nav multimedia unit in my base spec car! No more wedging a phone that will fall over on its face obscuring the sat nav and daring you to crash the car as you take the occasional call on speaker phone!

I am not knowledgeable in this area, but I do know how to perform a search for "LR3 Multimedia" on Ali Express! There are several permutations it seems. Some mention apple car play, which I think I want. Others mention Android 10 / 2G ram / 4GB Ram (I assume the "more of things is better" rule applies). What's a good one to buy? Can you install carplay on any android head unit? If the advert doesn't mention the processor type is that bad?

Guidance/ purchasing experience appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

[/u]

Post #214670717th May 2020 11:39 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I realize this is not quite what you asked for but consider buying a Brodit mobile phone holder for the D3. It mounts nicely on either side of the centrer console. I’m not very convinced of the android systems off AliExpress. Mr. Green

This is the one I have, https://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=853573

There’s also one which mounts on the other side, nearer the driver. Today, if were to order one, I’d probably order this rather than the one I have. https://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=853572

Then select a cell phone holder to mount to the base. The one I have was originally for an iPhone 6+ but it fits the iPhone XR well, too, although I’ve got a Tech21 impact protector around it. Anyway, there are a lot of choices.

I don’t remember what it cost exactly but it was around 30-40 eur, they had a rebate around 2-3 years ago.

Post #214682617th May 2020 7:59 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Also, since you’re having a base spec vehicle I think any 2DIN audio/navigator can be fitted in place of the original low-end stereo system. There isn’t a MOST ring to worry about, either.

Post #214682717th May 2020 8:03 pm
thepurser

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Hi there.
Can't point you in a specific direction as I am in the fortunate position of owning a D4 with the Naviplus system fitted.
I can however offer the following points for thought.

Go for the highest number version of Android you can get. Latest version is Android 10 but 9, 8 or even 7 are fairly modern and will hold up well for the future.
A lot of systems are running 4.3 or 5 and that is honestly getting long in the tooth now.

2gb RAM should be ok but 4GB is much better.

Be prepared that the FM radio may not be as good as the standard in car reception.
I have had a couple of android units, (on lesser makes of car in the past) and whilst good they tend to drop out more than your OEM unit does.

Capacitive touch screen!!!!!!! Most of not all should have a capacitive touch screen but given the choice it is much better than resistive.
If you are unclear a capacitive screen is like your modern phone / tablet. You touch with the fleshy part of your finger.
Resistive screens you have to use a fingernail or stylus and scrolling or swiping becomes a nightmare!! If in doubt ASK!

I would write a list of functions you want from the unit and see what will fit.
Double din will fit ( nearly all cars) with an adapter and is your standard 6.5" or 7" touch screen unit.
Some have larger "floating" screens that will not sit flush with the dash and may not fit a D3 due to the air vents sitting proud.

CD / DVD?
Bluetooth?
FM / RDS?
DAB?
Carplay!!! (Is there a wireless option?) Note Carplay is not the same as screen mirroring!!!!
USB Input / Outputs.

Find the units that meet all your requirements for function then depending on budget go for the one with the largest Ram, latest version Android and nicest looking interface. Its a trade off game.

Good luck. Hopefully somebody can make an actual recommendation for you.
Don't forget to show us what you eventually end up fitting.

Post #214696118th May 2020 11:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >