DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Another 3.0 TDV6 gone bang :-(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

sasdiscos wrote:
When did this problem first come to light? Did the early d3s have any failures early on? We hear of cars with 15k on with problems.

Did this start happening on release, it seems to be gathering pace wouldn’t you think?

Steve

Yes, D3s started having engine failures early on, but were dismissed as one offs, say an injector failure. Except in South Africa, they seemed to have more but that was blamed on rubbish fuel. What brought it into perspective for me was I did a Pyrenees jolly with a few like minded peeps and every one of them had suffered an engine failure pre trip, or not long after. I was the only one that hadn’t had that issue, until I did.

Post #202399231st Jan 2019 1:08 pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

So it’s safe to say when not if it happens. I wonder when all the warranty companies will bin off the crank failure. That’s the only reason I took out my warranty.

It’s such a shame because it’s actually a brilliant engine.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #202399331st Jan 2019 1:13 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Hope you didn’t take out the “LR” extended warranties, they’ve already washed their hands of crank issues. Oh the irony it being badged as “LR”. Whistle

And yes it’s a brilliant engine, until it’s a lump of scrap. Sometimes on the same day. I’d just said, out loud, to my D3 that she was feeling superb. It was just off a roundabout in Lofotens, NW Norway, boosted round a slow bus, heading back to the campsite and all was well with the world, then heard the flap, flap, flap noise from the front as if I had a piece of trim loose. That was the last mile she drove. Big Cry Big Cry

Last edited by DSL on 31st Jan 2019 1:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #202399631st Jan 2019 1:17 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

That's a little disingenuous ...you know del that in those cases they are refereed directly to LR Whistle

Post #202399831st Jan 2019 1:20 pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
Hope you didn’t take out the “LR” extended warranties, they’ve already washed their hands of crank issues. Oh the irony it being badged as “LR”. Whistle

And yes it’s a brilliant engine, until it’s a lump of scrap. Sometimes on the same day. I’d just said, out loud, to my D3 that she was feeling superb. It was just off a roundabout in Lofotens, NW Norway, boosted round a slow bus, heading back to the campsite and all was well with the world, then heard the flap, flap, flap noise from the front as if I had a piece of trim loose. That was the last mile she drove. Big Cry Big Cry

Exactly the same chain of events for me Del. Pulled out to overtake a car, everything was fine, half a mile further with exactly the same sound as in your videos.

Post #202400231st Jan 2019 1:29 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

DG wrote:
That's a little disingenuous ...you know del that in those cases they are refereed directly to LR Whistle

And we’ve seen the fight that peeps have had with LR with cars just out of warranty. “Referring to” is another one of those crap speak phrases like “each case on its merits” so no one knows what would happen if they were in that position. For me I wouldn’t dream of running one of these cars out of manf warranty, outside of that is a total crap shoot. And for anyone that thinks they do just that and are sitting pretty, remember their residuals are based on the second hand market. Thumbs Up

Post #202400331st Jan 2019 1:30 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

And for anyone that thinks they do just that and are sitting pretty, remember their residuals are based on the second hand market.

Sadly - as the D3's / 4's get older and maintenance standards slip as they move through owners (not on this site I hasten to add), we will see more and more.

I really wanted to keep my D4 for longer, but just didn't want the stress of the dreaded.
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #202400731st Jan 2019 1:51 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Everyone on here seems to be selling their D3/4 claiming potential crank issues is their reason and shouting about it on here, some have been shouting about it forever Shocked

Then someone mentions 2nd hands values, no Censored sherlock.

It seems to me people sell the products then do nothing but slag it off now they are in the clear?

Feather ruffling complete for the day.

Post #202400931st Jan 2019 1:54 pm
sasdiscos

I knew what I was buying into and I did it. If it goes bang I’ll cross that bridge when it comes. Knowing my luck it will happen but I love the car so it’s a trade off.

Ever since I got rid of the d3 4 years ago I wanted another. So I got one. To be honest most lr products are unreliable. But there is nothing quite like it.

Land Rover must know what’s causing the problem.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #202401131st Jan 2019 2:00 pm
Pelyma

England 

sasdiscos wrote:
So it’s safe to say when not if it happens. I wonder when all the warranty companies will bin off the crank failure. That’s the only reason I took out my warranty.

It’s such a shame because it’s actually a brilliant engine.

Steve

No I drove in my second D3 last week with 160k miles still going great. The issue for me was a 3 year old 40k HSE Lux too new to not do it properly if it went and wasn’t willing to rely on LR. Good Will that would disappear when I needed it I’m sure, if the dealer didn’t know how the tpms worked then what hope with a crank. Loving the Porsche though 8)
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #202401331st Jan 2019 2:03 pm
sasdiscos

Land Rover must have stripped an engine new and old and inspected investigated what is causing the issue.

They’ve either chosen to ignore it or it’s simply not an issue for them.

Steve
Post #202401831st Jan 2019 2:16 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I want and could do with a D4.

It is the only car out there that suits my needs. I need 7 seats, I live in Scotland so need a 4x4 and also tow a HB511 Horse box regularly. Likewise we take the Disco to France for 3 weeks every year camping and need something that can carry bikes, tow a trailer and house the kids comfortably and safely.

BUT...... I just don't want to take the risk on a D4. My D3 has done 130K, I have owned it for 8 years and looked after it extensively. I am planning to keep this for a good while longer and just keep up the maintenance on it. If JLR change their stance on the crank then i would buy one tomorrow.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #202402531st Jan 2019 2:47 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

sasdiscos wrote:
Land Rover must have stripped an engine new and old and inspected investigated what is causing the issue.

They’ve either chosen to ignore it or it’s simply not an issue for them.

Steve

I don't think they ignored it or decided that it was not an issue. It just became an ideal opportunity to sell a £4k replacement engine for over £12k. Nice earner.

With depreciation taking hold and many choosing to scrap rather than buy a new engine JLR sensed a new issue and lowered the £4k engine to £6k+ or so retail. Still a nice earner.

Sure a few customers get raped but you have to replace falling sales targets with something and their marketing folk think that brand loyalty is just not supported by the numbers. For markets where litigation has more teeth they will admit the issue, but in the UK they say whatever they like.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #202403131st Jan 2019 3:14 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Agreed but as a business model it is flawed. If someone hasn't looked after their car and they have issues then it is what it is.

If someone has a car that has been serviced as per the recommended schedule and the crank snaps, it should be a straight replacement engine no questions asked.

Aren't LR represented by someone on here ? Used to be someone but they have either left or gone very quiet.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #202403431st Jan 2019 3:18 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Usually DG appears as the JLR apologist. Never happened to him apparently.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #202404431st Jan 2019 3:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >