DISCO4.COM > General

another reason I chose the disco 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stuart27

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
another reason I chose the disco 3

Posed my first note earlier about getting my disco 3 next week

A lot has been said in this forum and in the motoring press about the regular road abilities of the disco 3. Last year I was up in Scotland, driving on the road that goes from spean bridge to Dalwhinnie. This is a great road to driver on. I was in my s type diesel jag following a disco 3 tdv6. I tell you, I had to push on to even keep up with it. Granted....some drivers have better abilities than others, but I realised then that the disco 3 was no slouch..even in diesel form.

Interested to hear what current owners think of their disco's on road, as well as off.

I drive about 15,000 miles a year. Daily commute is a mix of b roads and dual carriageway. At weekends its motorway, and more difficult b roads and tracks. I also want to climb Ben Alder this year (not in the disco 3!) but there is a 19 km lead in ,which is quite difficult terrain and includes a river crossing and mountain tracks. Can't wait to test the disco 3 on this route.

Any advice to a novice off roader also welcome.....especially on the river crossing!!!

Post #4376523rd Feb 2006 12:12 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Stuart,

The D3 drives like a car but NOT like a sports machine. I've not driven a coil spring version but the air version is hugely comfortable and the commanding view from being high up makes driving even easier. Its wider than previous cars I've had and a bit longer but parking is still easy. The reverse PDC helps as well. The mirrors are big and becasue they are convex on both sides you get to see a lot of the road on both sides and really there aren't any blind spots. The big wheels make potholes less painful.

I had the joy(?) to drive an S type Jag (3.0 lt petrol) for 2 days while my D3 was in the shop and I couldn't wait to get back in my D3. The Jag felt very slow off the mark and my D3 TDV6 was much more zippy than the Jag. It has to be due to the torque of the diesel. Also I felt like I was lying on the ground when driving the Jag. The sweeping windscreen of the Jag also annoyed me as my face was in the midday sun where as the D3's windscreen is more upright and the roof shades you better.

As for the off-road capability. It will eat up most terrain within reason. The tyres will be a limiting factor especially in wet greasy conditions. If you are going to cross rivers just make sure they have a solid base and don't exceed the stated 700mm and you should be fine. The D3 is very capable.

You won't be dissappointed.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Last edited by PCH on 23rd Feb 2006 12:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4377323rd Feb 2006 2:39 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The D3 handles far better than you could ever imagine a vehicle of its size and purpose ever should.

TDV6 is plenty powerful enough especially once under way. Its not a traffic light racer and was never intended to be.

I have no issues with the performance at all... but if you do there are a number of tuners that will re-programme the engine mapping via the diagnostic port (not breaking of seals or clip on hardware).

The two most popular on the forum are from Turbochip and the J&E Engineering.

Take a good long and varied route test drive. Use roads you normally do too and get a sense of how the D3 rides and handles.

Be brave too... it really does reward the driver around corners Smile

cheers

Post #4380923rd Feb 2006 11:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >