Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Another sorry tale
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Madmole

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Another sorry tale

So, last Friday we were off on our holiday, all packed up to the rafters, with everything a family could want ( apart from the actual family, they were meeting us there ). In lane 2 of the M25, when I hear this ticking noise, at first I thought it was the low loader in front of me, then when it started to judder and lights came on and slowing down, I knew it was me. Managed miraculously to get to the hard shoulder, and phoned the AA. Chap turned up about an hour later, and took us to the services, where we waited another three hours for someone to come and look at it, only to tell me that the timing belt had snapped. Hold on a minute, timing belt snapped, only had the belts changed in October, that’s what he said anyway.While this was happening, the car park in the services was filling up with all sorts of “ Boy Racers” so we got completely boxed in with absolutely no chance of getting on the back of a breakdown truck. So then another two hour wait for someone to take us home, and when he did turn up, of course he couldn’t find us in this sea of cars, bearing in mind all this time our family are waiting at our caravan, and we have all the food, bedding, cot, NIGHTMARE. So, after we managed to rally round and get a path cleared for us to get on the back of the truck, we get home about midnight and put what stuff we could into my wife’s car and carried on again. A friend of mine who is a trained Land Rover mechanic, stripped the front down and said it wasn’t the belt, but the tensioner had broken.He said, it would have caused damage internally, and a new engine is needed. So there we are, what to do now. Sell with broken engine? It’s a 64 plate HSE lux with only 44,000, would anyone want that? or suggestions for someone who will come and take it and put another engine in it. Thanks for taking the time to read this

Post #22905556th May 2022 9:39 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear that. Contact Oval on here. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #22905576th May 2022 10:00 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

low mileage...if landrover have serviced it and done the belts..fairly with them surely,,pursue for new engine..guess you did belts on age not mileage...we face same scenario next year...at this point you dont know whats damaged inside..

Post #22905586th May 2022 11:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Madmole - Sorry to hear this.

As GalwayGreen suggests it may be worth pursuing LR - read threads here on that option.

If this fails, as suggested by Moo contact Oval Autos, sponsors here:-

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-ovalautos.html

who have expertise and a great reputation.

Good luck.

Please keep us posted.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #22905657th May 2022 6:26 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear that OP , That scenario is typical of a broken crank and I would hazard a guess that the tensioner would have been collateral damage.
As above if JLR serviced you may get some help from them ,however if not it will be 10k min to get replaced or if your mates up to it you can get a warranted JLR reworked short engine for 5.5 which is the same as they would fit .

Post #22905667th May 2022 6:27 am
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

What a nightmare Neutral If it is the tensioner that's thrown then hopefully limited to top end damage only. I had this following the tensioner being over tightened, a week later the bolt snapped. Resultant damage was a couple of rockers taken out. I just had the head replaced with a reconditioned one. (one side only) If its the crank then that's a different story.
Good luck with this, explore every option once your happy you've pinpointed the cause. keep us posted.

Post #22905687th May 2022 6:40 am
Madmole

popsdosh wrote:
Sorry to hear that OP , That scenario is typical of a broken crank and I would hazard a guess that the tensioner would have been collateral damage.
As above if JLR serviced you may get some help from them ,however if not it will be 10k min to get replaced or if your mates up to it you can get a warranted JLR reworked short engine for 5.5 which is the same as they would fit .

He doesn’t think it’s the crank because it can still be turned over by hand. In the last week he has gone down the Land Rover good will gesture route, but they are not interested. Even asked for money off a replacement belt kit, but they said no. We’re going to try and ar least get it back on my drive this week as it’s parked in the road and we have residents parking. Battery is off and on charge, as the parking brake won’t release

Post #22905717th May 2022 7:06 am
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

To be expected from LR I'm afraid. If the crank can then be rotated that's a good sign. On my D3, as soon as the tensioner went it pulled the hand brake on as a damage limitation safety device I presume.
So, dont be thinking new engine yet. Get the cam covers off and check the cam shafts, bearing caps. Drop the oil and check for bits of metal. Needle bearings may be present if the rockers have been damaged by the pistons knocking the valves. Rest of it would need the body off. My head replacement was just over 2 k several years ago, expensive back then but in comparison to a new engine not much I suppose. Thumbs Up

Post #22905747th May 2022 7:24 am
Madmole

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think my friend will be looking into doing anything else to it now, he’s made up his mind it’s a new engine I think. Will Oval Autos come and collect it do you think ?

Post #22905757th May 2022 7:33 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There are lots of transport options available. Character on her is one and ??? Trailered is another on here.

Personally I'd buy a new short engine from LR and get it fitted by Oval.

Good luck with whatever route you take. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #22905847th May 2022 8:24 am
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I'm sorry to read about your pain Madmole. Not good!

Who has done the servicing and belts for you since you owned it?

Post #22905857th May 2022 8:27 am
Madmole

It’s always been done since I’ve owned it, by my friend who works at a Land Rover main dealers

Post #22905877th May 2022 8:33 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

you can release the handbrake and take the gearbox out of park to move it without starting it! I agree re new short engine as I cannot believe it will not have done some piston damage if the belt has snapped.
Maybe get the top end off to look ? Can your friend not fit the new short block for you ? Although it will need a means of taking the body off.
As regards your original question anything you can get for it as it is would be a bonus but assume its worth previous market value less about 12k. Somebody may take the risk. Sadly finding a used lump is cloud cuckoo land.
JLR will do extended credit payments on something that expensive if you ask.

Post #22905907th May 2022 9:08 am
Madmole

When the AA guy dropped it off outside my house, we couldn’t release the electronic park brake until he put a jumper on the battery, it’s a safety feature he said. With regards to my friend doing it, yes he’s more than capable, but I don’t think where he works is going to allow him to take it there and have use of all their equipment, not the sort of job you can tackle in the road outside you house either. I have messaged Oval Autos to see what they say

Post #22905947th May 2022 9:24 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Appreciate the mention Moo, but have had to retire a little earlier than expected, Disco & trailer to be sold in due course.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #22906297th May 2022 1:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >