Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Another "talk me out of it" thread!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Another "talk me out of it" thread!

Good morning all.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those with knowledge of the L322 here....

I love my D4. Everything about it and I've added loads and improved it at every turn.....before I start the next round of improvements I have been looking around....

The values have gone back to somewhere near normality on the D4's now after being silly a couple of months back but they are still fairly strong....

I cannot stop looking at the L322 "full fat" Range.... I need convincing to stay in the D4 (as its the sensible choice) but the lure of the 5 litre supercharger and sound and the extra comfort is really tempting.

I will defo go with V8 charger or the TDV8 4.4 (as it has the ZF8) but I'm so tempted with the petrol as a last hurrah before they disappear. Now is a good time to buy with the costs of fuel being silly....

Our most used car is electric (wife's daily & local mileage muncher) but the Disco is a huge favourite for longer journeys and more comfy cruises.

Is the L322 much smaller than the D4 inside? (cargo area particularly?)....

So........Stay with the 275 per year tax (its a commercial with 5 seats), the 24mpg (my average) and the practicality of the Disco OR go mad with 600 quid a year tax and 15mpg?

I would love to hear from those that know both to sway me in the correct direction!

Thanks in advance for any wise words...

Very Happy
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #228481823rd Mar 2022 1:22 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you don’t need 7 seats, the L322 is more comparable to the D3/4 than the L405.

Due to the similarity in “boxy” design, the boot space is good, but maybe not quite as good as the Disco.

I love the L322 but didn’t want an older vehicle and the L405 was a good enough compromise.

I think of the L322 as more luxurious and powerful (with an 8cyl engine) 5 seater Disco.

In my opinion the torque delivery of the diesel V8 makes it the best suited engine for the FFRR, regardless of mpg etc.

If it’s an itch that need scratching, do it. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #228482123rd Mar 2022 1:46 pm
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thank you LT....

That's exactly the info I was after "a more powerful and luxurious Disco"....

Mine is only 5 seats and the rears are a pop up bench so the 7 seats isn't a miss for me.... the TDV8 im looking at has just had both turbos replaced at 80k and it got me looking into the EGR and DPF etc etc.... that's when I sort of "persuaded myself" that the supercharged petrol has none of those issues! It does of course only have 6 speeds and 15mpg if you are lucky...... I think the TDV8 will do nearly the same mpg as im getting in the SDV6 though at 24/5 mpg?

Thanks again!

really appreciate the help.

Very Happy
Post #228482223rd Mar 2022 1:59 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you want more luxury look at a D4 HSE Luxury, big step up from the commercial, more bhp, better brakes, air suspension and of course more luxury but not the V8 sound which might pacify the neighbours. Laughing
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #228484923rd Mar 2022 5:11 pm
matlandy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I've just swapped the other way from an L322 to a Disco 3.
The Range Rover was a very nice place to be, It's one of the only cars you get out of more relaxed than you did at the beginning of the journey. They are smaller inside but this is because the seats are plush and really comfortable. The boot is smaller and of course you don't get the 7 seats. One thing to look out of is the rust on the rear C pillar where the rear door shuts.

Post #228485423rd Mar 2022 5:37 pm
s60r

M3DPO wrote:
If you want more luxury look at a D4 HSE Luxury, big step up from the commercial, more bhp, better brakes, air suspension and of course more luxury but not the V8 sound which might pacify the neighbours. Laughing

The commercial is no different to the standard D4 in that it has air, the same 255 horses and the same brakes a 600w Meridian etc etc...its just a loophole to cheaper road tax really!

I've added HSE LUX front seats, 22 way electric/heated, heated steering wheel etc so I've bought it up to speed! The standard commercial "pleather" seats are long gone....

I'm used to the HSE feel so the Autobiography is hopefully a step up in that regard.

Last edited by s60r on 23rd Mar 2022 6:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #228486023rd Mar 2022 6:13 pm
s60r

matlandy wrote:
I've just swapped the other way from an L322 to a Disco 3.
The Range Rover was a very nice place to be, It's one of the only cars you get out of more relaxed than you did at the beginning of the journey. They are smaller inside but this is because the seats are plush and really comfortable. The boot is smaller and of course you don't get the 7 seats. One thing to look out of is the rust on the rear C pillar where the rear door shuts.

Thanks!
Interesting you have come the other way.... how much smaller is the useable boot would you say? is 20% smaller fair or is it more?

The kids have all grown up now so the 7 seats haven't been used for a good while.....

its the TDV8 vs the 5.0 supercharged that im struggling with.... there seem to be many probs with the TDV8 as it ages..... not so many on the petrol.

I think I've seen the truck in your avatar around? Would it have been on duty during Arundel festival?
Post #228486123rd Mar 2022 6:17 pm
matlandy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I would say the boot is about 30% to 40% smaller due to the solid parcel shelf in the Range Rover and the way it opens also the slope of the door and the back seats.
Also the way the seats fold they don't give you much space unlike the discovery which fold flat.

Post #228486723rd Mar 2022 6:54 pm
s60r

Thanks Mat... I will pay close attention to the boot and rear seats.... its already leaning towards keeping the Disco as I do ferry tools around a fair bit still.

such a shame they stopped dong the V8 by the time the D4 came out.... that seems to be the sweet spot for sure!

If I were brave enough I would pop a 5 litre supercharged in the Disco! It would be cheaper! Cool
Post #228486823rd Mar 2022 7:01 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The D3/4 is incredibly versatile and practical. There simply isn’t a direct comparison to it currently available on the market. Not the D5 or the Defender.

So you have to accept making compromises.

I’m happy with the compromise of 5 seats and a smaller boot. I do miss the later at times, but I knew I would and every model FFRR still has a very big boot relative to cars in general.

Post #228487223rd Mar 2022 7:17 pm
s60r

Laughing Very Happy

Yes LT!!

That's how my D4 rolls some days!!

So with your history of D3 and (many) D4's and your usage .... you are my perfect case study!

No regrets? is it so much a better drive that any practicality issues are just not important?

Cracking looking motor btw.... (without the rock wool) Very Happy
Post #228487323rd Mar 2022 7:48 pm
LT

I use my L405 exactly as I did all my Disco’s. It actually cost me a little less than my last new Landmark did.

I lined out the boot, upper and lower tailgate with an extended Hatchbag liner and the LR flexible rubber mats.

The fancy Autobiography carpet mats are in the shed, replaced by a full set of rubber mats.

I had intended to get seat covers but haven’t yet. The super soft leather isn’t as fragile as I had expected. Overall all though I am a bit more mindful than I was with the Disco’s.

Off road, I’d say, approach & departure angles aside, it’s better than the D4 was. I do have the newer Terrain Response system and a locking rear differential though. It’s probably lighter as well.

First modification I did was to fit 20” rims and tyres. The smallest size that will fit over the larger brakes that the SDV8 has. The ride is more comfortable and I don’t need to worry about kerbing flashy alloys.

I managed okay off road with Pirelli Verdre All Seasons tyres but fitted a set of 255-55-20 GG AT3’s this winter. I’ll be switching back to the Pirelli’s in June. They’re nicer on road for sure.

Running costs aren’t noticeable more than the D4. As I mainly do longer journeys in it, I actually get between 2-6 mpg more than the TDV6 in the D4’s. Although the GG’s have reduced that a bit.

The SDV8 has, as standard, the active cornering system thingy, I can’t remember it’s proper title, that for me was essential. I’m afraid I don’t know what the situation is with that on the L322.

Most importantly of all for me, the L322 and the L405 both still have the same upright Command driving position that is lost in the D5 (due to its much smaller glass/windscreen area and height). Along with the split tailgate, that was a big deal for me.

I’d say the L322 is in many ways the better Range Rover, despite the L405 being better in many ways.

If I was to have a S/C V8 engine, I’d definitely want it in the L405 though as it does handle better than the L322.

For me, there’s something more majestic and Range Rover like about the L322 experience though. In a fantasy world I’d like to have both. Smile

Post #228489223rd Mar 2022 9:52 pm
s60r

Thanks LT that's great info.... particularly on the running costs of the TDV8 (if I go that way). I suspected that I would get better mpg than my SDV6... that is also supported by real world MPG on Honest John... in fact the 4.4 is the ONLY vehicle I have ever seen that gets better real world MPG than the press figures.

Now into my 50's the handling of a car isn't as important to me as it was. My bravery now ends long before the handling limits are reached! It does however, need to go when asked without any hesitation!

The D4 runs about 300 horse and is no slouch... I'm looking forward to trying both the V8's....and comfort and driving position is key.... as long as its as "up there" as the Disco.... I really struggle with getting into the wife's electric thingy.... the instant go is nice but its too low!

Thanks again....lts great to have your thoughts. appreciated. Thumbs Up
Post #228489823rd Mar 2022 10:47 pm
paul n

United Kingdom 

that 5.0 supercharged engined FFR looks outrageous!

imagine that engine in a disco 3!

Post #228490824th Mar 2022 12:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >