Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Members Helping Members

Anyone got a VW service gadget nearby the Wirral?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
James W

United Kingdom 
Anyone got a VW service gadget nearby the Wirral?

I promised my mate I’d change his front pads, and rear pads and discs on his MK7 Golf to help him out as he’s had to spend a lot of cash on it recently. Watched a couple of vids and it’s all the usual stuff until I saw one mention of an EPB on some models.. which it turns out his has Rolling Eyes

It’s just an actuator on the back of the rear callipers but it has to be deactivated/put into service mode via a suitable tool before you can wind the rear callipers back. My basic OBD tool won’t do it. I can’t find any secret button combos to do it. It doesn’t seem that you can just leave the EPB ‘off’ either. Before I go spending cash on a tool for someone else’s car Rolling Eyes has anyone got a VW servicing gadget nearby that I could borrow to stick the EPB in service mode?
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #23142768th Nov 2022 8:50 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Dont forget the 7mm allen for the front discs either.

Post #23142778th Nov 2022 9:33 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

The disc retaining screw?
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy

Post #23143108th Nov 2022 11:20 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Front calipers.

I didn't have one so used an M50? on my VW Cali. Now have one in the toolbox.

Handbrake was wind back. VW parts are ouch. I used Brembo but as mine is big braked I had to order from AutoDoc

Post #23143118th Nov 2022 11:24 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

It is possible to remove the EPB actuators from the caliper & wind them back manually - there's a few you tube vids on that, but obviously better to do it properly with a service tool. My Autel (think its an MK808) does do it, but a bit too far away!

You may also need a 12 point spline drive to remove the caliper carriers I think. Check for this before you start... Not part of a normal socket set and difficult to find. And was extremely tight...

Rear caliper removal was a horrible job to do on the driveway.

Note - I'm assuming Mk7 Golf is similar brake system to 2015 Audi Q3, which was what I was working on, and found that all it's parts were actually VW Golf
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #23143209th Nov 2022 8:34 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

As Dave T has said it should be possible to wind back the rear calipers manually.

My son and myself certainly did on his 2012 Tiguan having been told it was impossible.
A bit of a Google search soon provided 2 ways to do it.
Firstly by doing a bit more disassembly and winding back by hand.
Secondly by disconnecting the electrical supply and using a 12V supply to do it electrically.

I felt more comfortable with the Manual method so we did that.

The system on the car was so much better than on the D3/4, and so much easier to maintain, that I was a little annoyed whilst doing the job that a similar system couldn't have been used by LR.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #23143239th Nov 2022 9:02 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Yes, to clarify, I wound the EPB actuators back the manual way. Easy enough, just requires care to avoid dirt getting into mechanism whilst 'split'.
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #23143249th Nov 2022 9:07 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Thanks chaps. I did a bit more searching based on your experiences and found the video where the guy simply applies 12v to the actuator, reversing polarity for in and out. I also found the (really shaky!) video of the guy splitting them in two.

If it were my car I think I'd try the 12v method for sure. I guess I'm just a bit wary that it's not my car. If one of them went 'pop' as I stick 12v onto it, it would be a massive ballache. Especially as he's coming from Leeds to stay with us over the weekend.

I can still do the fronts, these are pads only (discs were done with last pads and are fine) so I shouldn't need the spline bit to remove the caliper carriers, just the two spanners to get the calipers off. But thanks for the heads up Thumbs Up

I'm looking at Autel etc. now, to be fair it may be an excuse to upgrade my old OBD2 reader Question

My fault for trying to help a mate out Laughing

Post #23143259th Nov 2022 9:19 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Nasher wrote:
As Dave T has said it should be possible to wind back the rear calipers manually.

My son and myself certainly did on his 2012 Tiguan having been told it was impossible.
A bit of a Google search soon provided 2 ways to do it.
Firstly by doing a bit more disassembly and winding back by hand.
Secondly by disconnecting the electrical supply and using a 12V supply to do it electrically.

I felt more comfortable with the Manual method so we did that.

The system on the car was so much better than on the D3/4, and so much easier to maintain, that I was a little annoyed whilst doing the job that a similar system couldn't have been used by LR.

**As Nasher says, I've also done a couple VWs and a VX manually winding the calipers back - watch the YouTube and its easy enough Thumbs Up

Post #23143349th Nov 2022 10:13 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Thanks again all for the advice

I've bottled taking his callipers apart or firing 12v into them, and now bought a Carista dongle which has 1 month free subscription, so I can do the job and then revisit it in future if needed as my wife's got a skoda so it will work with that too.

I've checked I've got a 7mm socket hex bit Thumbs Up

Post #23143519th Nov 2022 12:08 pm
DaveT

James, check 1m 23s in this:

These caliper carrier bolts were an absolute pig for me. Easy with a pit or a lift, but not so easy on a driveway with axle stands. I had to go out and find the 14mm 12pt bit on a Saturday afternoon when all motor factors were closed. Just sayin'

Post #23144309th Nov 2022 10:36 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Yikes not another special bit required.

You can log onto the VW tech page for a small fee and download the relevant sections for the front and rear brakes. It list the tool for mine as a T50036 (what it doesnt say is its 7mm)

I'll try and find the link.

Post #23144339th Nov 2022 10:52 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

Post #23144349th Nov 2022 10:53 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I'm completely regretting offering to do this now Laughing

I've bought a set of stubby impact 12-point bits for the caliper carriers. I'm also planning on attacking them the night before with plenty of plusgas Neutral

Fingers crossed

Post #231444910th Nov 2022 12:12 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

You're be okay. Has anyone mentioned stretch bolts (for the caliper arms) if you're doing the discs. (Not sure if the Golf is the same as the Transporter)

Post #231445310th Nov 2022 1:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >