Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Anyone really know the answer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Felstmiester

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Anyone really know the answer

I put this in another thread but didn’t get much luck. When I run my fbh via the controller it runs for the full half an hour then when I start the car up it just ticks over and won’t rev. After switching it off and re trying a few times it eventually starts ok. Only get this when the fbh has been on though.

One forum member has said it could be a faulty water temp sensor causing this or an oil temp sensor. But surely there would be other signs if this was the case like the temp gauge wouldn’t work properly??

Post #188868110th Dec 2017 6:39 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I get the same happen sometimes, but not every time. After running with no throttle response for probably just under a minute, it clears and I get response. I don't know the answer, I put it down to the fact that the system is confused, an abnormal situation i.e. Coolant temp almost up to normal, whilst oil temp still pretty much cold. It's not something I'm worried about, it behaves itself in all other aspects.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #188868810th Dec 2017 6:49 pm
Felstmiester

So you just leave it to tick over for a while until it will rev?

Post #188874510th Dec 2017 8:52 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, less than a minute, I don't keep switching it off and re starting. Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #188875010th Dec 2017 9:02 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It might be worth checking your heater plugs to see if they are working, the engine management system on the Diesel continues to activate the heater plugs after the light on the dashboard goes out, this is to improve the initial throttle response when pulling away with a cold engine. It may be that the FBH is warming the coolant enough to fool the sensors and ECU into thinking that the engine is warm when in reality the combustion chamber is still quite cold.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #188882611th Dec 2017 12:54 am
Felstmiester

It certainly does fool the ecu that the engine is warmer so it cuts the cycle of the glow plugs. But with the fbh being run for 30 mins according to what I’ve read there should be no problem. I’m going to change the sensors in the near future to see if that’s the problem. There seems to be a very small handful of people that witness this problem. I have read that there’s owners out there who have completely shot glow plugs and a fbh remote solves there cold starting problem.

Post #188891211th Dec 2017 10:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >