Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Anyone upgraded their HIR2 bulbs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Space Cadet

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

.....I can live without those for £300+...!

Post #18984706th Jan 2018 10:22 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Plenty HID kits around for about £50.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #18984766th Jan 2018 10:47 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Space Cadet wrote:
Thanks mate, appreciate your help. Excuse my ignorance but would I have reflector or projector units?

You have a projector setup, which means an elliptical reflector and lens. A normal reflector is parabolic (or a variation thereof), meaning light from the focal point is set parallel like this:

The elliptical reflector focuses the light on a point in front of the reflector:

The lens then does the clever bit of arranging that light into a carefully refined beam pattern. A shutter between the reflector and converging point blocks the lower (which becomes the upper) section of the light to create the dipped beam. A projector system is less efficient than a basic reflector system but more refined.

Quote:
So, is it likely that aftermarket HIDs in my standard non-xenon units would be ‘better’ than the normal halogen bulbs????

I would say so, yes, because a single halogen bulb for dip and main beams doesn't set the bar very high. In a typical OE xenon setup, you have 3200lm a side to play with for the dip and main, and sometimes (as is the case with the D3 and early D4) then a pair of extra halogen bulbs of around 1500lm each to add to the main beam. Most premium vehicles with halogen lights have always had two pairs of, typically, H1/H3/H7/H11 bulbs giving between 1350-1550lm per bulb.

In your case, you have a mere 1875lm each side in total, to share between the dip and main beams. It's very poor indeed - worse than most halogen setups from the past; arguably worse than a Defender with two measly H4 bulbs (wiring condition aside) - as LR are well aware, but all is done in the name of power saving... Rolling Eyes

I second the view that fitting OE xenons is best, but if you don't want to spend that much, it's your second best option.

Just be sure to check the beam pattern thoroughly once fitted - nice sharp cutoff, not patchy, good spread, hotspots in the right place and not too much light shining upwards. Ideally, take a comparison photo with a camera set up manually to identical settings and then view the picture(s) in greyscale - the latter is important because the higher colour temperature will make HID lights look brighter when they're not (and even when they are significally less bright). Don't opt for 6000K bulbs - 4300K is best, or failing that, 5000K. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #18985417th Jan 2018 9:25 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just one other thing - you will have no flash with the lights off...or rather, you may not; it is possible for some HID systems to light up quickly enough, as with the late D4 ones, but even then, it's certainly not good for the bulbs. With lights on there's no issue as the burners are already lit. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #18985467th Jan 2018 9:48 am
Space Cadet

Again interesting reading, many thanks for all your help!

For the relatively inexpensive £85 I will give the HID kit a go that you sent me the link to, they do a 5000k kit so will go for those.

I’ll upgrade the sidelights at the same time so will get a touch more light from them.

For comparison I’ll take some before & after photos in gray-scale.

Post #18985587th Jan 2018 10:26 am
kestrelpc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Watching this topic with interest, not for my D3 but for my Insignia ST, which also uses HIR2 bulbs and to be honest I think I could get more illumination on the road ahead with a couple of candles on long poles, the HIR2's are so poor. I have been considering the HID upgrades but not sure if I can fit the ballast etc inside the lamp housing on the Insignia. I look forward to your findings Space Cadet.

Post #18985737th Jan 2018 11:03 am
Space Cadet

I had already thought about this and where I was going to fit the ballast and if it doesn’t fit inside the unit itself I was just going to make two ‘in’ and ‘out’ holes somewhere and mount it behing the unit.

The car is just a family car, not an off-roader, so I don’t go waiding through 3 foot of rivers, so I think I’ll be ok! (Obviously I’ll seal the holes as best I can!)

Post #18985767th Jan 2018 11:14 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Space Cadet wrote:
.....I can live without those for £300+...!

But you will have the sale of your existing lights to offset the cost which could bring the total outlay down to £150ish! - I know which I would rather have Whistle
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18985877th Jan 2018 11:30 am
Space Cadet

Ooooh, I hadn’t thought of that, good man-maths!!

Let’s see.....

Post #18986087th Jan 2018 12:23 pm
Space Cadet

Right, I think I’ve worked myself up enough to bite the bullet and purchase some 2nd hand OEM xenon units, I’ve found some at a breakers, all looks good with them but will double-check tomorrow.

They’re £550 but those other ones on here for £400 were pre-facelift....

In for a penny hey...

Will they just be a physical straight swap?

Are the xenon ballasts within the units or do I need these as well?

I’m hopefully purchasing an IID BT on the group-buy this week, I think I will need to activate them using the tool, but is there anything else I will need to do???

Thanks!

Post #18988067th Jan 2018 8:07 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Should just be a straight swap, everything is in the light units. Thumbs Up

Re altering the CCF via the IID, no rush to do that (i.e. waiting for it to arrive then getting used to wielding its magical powers), the lights will just start a bit dim for the first 20 seconds or so. Thumbs Up

Post #18988077th Jan 2018 8:12 pm
Space Cadet

Thanks mate!

I’m looking forward to getting the tool and having a play, I should be getting the remote FBH kit this week as well so that’ll be something else to switch on with it.

Regarding the headlights, the xenon units have DLR’s don’t they? Is this something else to switch in with the tool?

Post #18988127th Jan 2018 8:33 pm
M3DPO

The xenons as Del says should physically fit and work sufficient for you to use them assuming they are pre 14my but the cornering bit (AFC) won't without another module (they may not even be AFC) the cornering lights that come on with the indicators should/can be made to work. CCF will need them enabled when convenient.
Post my14 are different they have led signature DRL and indicators where the driving lamps are, no driving lamps.
Below photo is post 14my note the LED indicator where the driving lamp is on pre 14my.

Last edited by M3DPO on 7th Jan 2018 8:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18988137th Jan 2018 8:33 pm
Space Cadet

Sorry mate, didn’t fully understand all that...

They are off a facelift 2015 car, which I need for my facelift 2015 car.

So they’ll swap over ok, but I will need to update the CCF once I get the tool.

Will I also need to switch the DLRs on as well?

You mentioned the cornering lights, what do I need to do regarding these please?

Many thanks!

Post #18988157th Jan 2018 8:40 pm
M3DPO

It is unlikely they will have cornering lights of any sort as they only fitted them on HSE luxury or to special order.
It is usual for all the wiring and plugs to be present and a straight swap, I can't advise you about the DRL lights, but rest assured they may only need enabling in the CCF.
Looking at the photo above the lamp at the bottom right is where the cornering lamp is located, it is possible to put a bulb in there (there is a knock out plug for the purpose)with a bulb holder and short length of cable and the cornering lamps will work when the indicator is switched on. Thumbs Up
If your lamps are the same as the one in the photo they will fetch a very price. Be doubly sure the "xenons" you are buying are genuine "xenons" and not same as you have already got, many people including myself can be mistaken. Thumbs Up

Post #18988217th Jan 2018 8:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >