Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Apline iLX-107 for Apple carplay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ambrosian

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3
Apline iLX-107 for Apple carplay

Does anyone know if the Alpine iLX-107 can be fitted where the dash navigation system is located on the 3? The screen in is theory the same size at 7" although I can't find the precise dimensions other than it is a 2-DIN unit. It doesn't look like it would fit the standard mount brackets of the OEM nav unit as they were angled, so a bit of jiggery-pokery would be needed I imagine to rig up a housing. I'd prefer it mounted high to make the navigation easier to see (I'm 6' 3"), rather mounting it where the L359 CD-400 is on the main dash centre panel.

Looking to this unit to add several features to my 07 GS spec like Carplay for upto date navigation (includes GPS antenna for a stronger satellite signal than you'd get with a phone), podcasts/audio books, DAB radio, and bluetooth phone hands free connectivity (includes external mic for phone/siri). It supports front & rear cameras so may look to add those in the future, and Maestro idatalink compatibility would allow me to add the steering wheel switches.

I'm guessing this unit will be the iLX-701 when it comes to the UK, there is a review here, similar to the current iLX-700 wired carplay and iLX-702d (wired carplay & Android auto): http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/20/...y-receiver

I did find a video of the earlier model being fitted to a Freelander 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytwiZ_4lcI

Post #187913113th Nov 2017 11:57 pm
Ambrosian

Looks like my wait for wireless carplay continues. Alpine UK have told me that unit won’t be coming to the UK as it doesn’t have DAB and the FM set up is different.

Post #187926214th Nov 2017 12:48 pm
martim

Portugal 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you really used Carplay in a car? Not just testing it or seeing how it looks, but actually using it?

You can only use Apple maps for navigation and searching for an address has to be made through Siri. Just that is terrible. Forget waze, google maps or getting to a place using any other program. Then you have to use voice dialling if you want to use the phone. Spotify doesn't work, you have to use apple music but with voice commands. Messages can be read out to you with mixed results, especially if you get messages in more than 1 language and as long as carplay is connected, the iphone screen is unusable. I used it briefly in a friends car when I was full intent on going all in on a carplay system and after about 10 minutes I completely decided against it. In it's current iteration I truly think its horrible... and I'm considered an Apple fanboy by most my friends... Laughing

Oh, and the wireless carplay must drain the battery at an impressive rate.
 2006 D3 TDV6 SE
Manual, Black, 320K km
EGR blanked, IID power remap 

Post #187986415th Nov 2017 7:28 pm
Ambrosian

Was that the latest version of Carplay? I understand it has improved a lot with the latest release, but not had a chance to try that release yet.

I considered the 702d just for the Google maps function (that has both Android Auto and Carplay) as Google is my go-to choose for navigation normally.

I’ve suggested to ordnance survey that they look into adding their map app to Carplay, if they could enable mapping offroad that could be kind of handy.

Post #187988615th Nov 2017 8:00 pm
martim

Portugal 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

It was the version just before wireless carplay was released, so likely a new one out now. But from what I've read the points I mentioned are still the same. The extremely limited apps you can use are determined by Apple, not the maker of the app, so unless apple suddenly changes and allows for 3rd party apps on carplay, it's stuck. I've heard Android car is better, but still far from good, but that I've not tested. I'm too far in the Apple rabbit hole to consider the change to Android. I'm in the market for a new head unit for my D3 and looked briefly at carplay again, but will likely go the route of just a good headunit with good streaming capabilities and a volume knob. Nothing beats a volume knob. lol

I really wanted carplay to be good as I've played in the past with having a mac carputer long before there were iphones or ipads. One would think that it'd be easy to develop something game changing. But no, my stripped down iBook with a 7" USB touchscreen in the dash and custom software in 2005 was miles ahead of what carplay is today. It was a good hobby until I had kids. Smile
 2006 D3 TDV6 SE
Manual, Black, 320K km
EGR blanked, IID power remap 

Post #188006116th Nov 2017 11:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >