Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Audio cuts out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Steve53

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Audio cuts out

For months all audio cuts out it is now happening every few minutes,comes back on its own or by touching either of volume controls up or down.also I can get no dab radio reception. Dealer said it may be the £700 dab unit but was not sure,helpful,. It was his suggestion that I come onto this forum to see if anyone else has experienced this fault and what solution might be. When I say all audio cuts out I mean all radio,cd,satnav and phone. Any help appreciated

Post #188318624th Nov 2017 6:04 pm
Di5co_man

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

our car does the same. i have posted a vid at

I had the software updated but it didn't sort it out either. I will be taking it back to get fixed as its getting worse.

It is intermittent so you need to drive the car for a while for it to happen. It can do it a number of times in a few minutes but be fine for 10 mins or so, there no pattern to it.

Post #18882649th Dec 2017 2:24 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Is the main battery in good condition?

Post #18882729th Dec 2017 3:17 pm
Davethegeo

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Similar problem here. The audio/video box is greyed out. The screen also occasionally blinks off to the Land Rover logog then reappears a minute or two later. No sounds from the reversing sensor either.

Where are the cables/connectors I should check?

Also.....my battery is goosed - new one on order from Tayna. Hopefully this is to do with a sick battery, but if not, the I'd like to know what I should be checking first.

D1 300Tdi - gone
D2 Td5 ES (Alive remapped...mmm) - sadly gone
D4 2012 SDV6 XS - Stolen
D4 2014 SDV6 HSE - Shiny

Post #189084116th Dec 2017 9:24 am
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I'm having a similar problem that I first became aware of about a month ago.

When I first start the car I've noticed that the radio and satnav will come on but then, over the next minute or so, will interrupt three times for 2-3 secs about 30 secs apart. It's almost as if something is rebooting although, from what I can see, the screen display itself is not affected. The main impact is that we can't program a satnav destination until this irritating ritual has been completed. Once it has completed everything seems to perform normally.

One last oddity is that if I park the car and then restart it after only a brief interval (say 10-15 mins) the ritual is not necessarily repeated.

The IId reveals the code U3000-41 (2F) or, more precisely:-

ACM-Audio System

U3000-41 (2F) Control module - System internal failure - general checksum failure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Post #189131117th Dec 2017 4:07 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I'd suggest get battery checked ... Especially as it doesn't always happen after a short rest

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #189133217th Dec 2017 4:43 pm
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, thanks, I wondered about the battery. I know it's not conclusive but the stop start is functioning normally and I'd have though it wouldn't be if the battery was in a low-charge state. Nevertheless, I've got it on charge at the moment and will try to remember to check for the radio interruption thing when I start it tomorrow.

Post #189137217th Dec 2017 5:58 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

If your stop start is OK then it won't be the battery. Sounds like a connectivity issue.
You will need to have a savvy dealer or autosparks to check this, although low grade dealerships will just try to throw the issue back at you.

Post #189144617th Dec 2017 8:15 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Would of thought Stop start runs off secondary battery, not main battery, so that could be ok and keep stop start working, but main one with stresses of everything else especially in winter would be worth checking testing Thumbs Up
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #189161818th Dec 2017 2:44 pm
UffBrock

I'm as sure as I can be that it is not the battery. I've both had it on charge and subsequently completed a long run and the problem I described is still occurring.

Watching the screen more closely I've realised that, when the radio is interrupted, the phone connection also restarts three times. In addition, if the satnav map screen is active, it blanks out during each of the restarts.

Looks like one for the dealer. The car is still well under warranty but it’s such a pain to take it in, leave it, and then collect it.

Post #189202219th Dec 2017 3:16 pm
OJ

Scotland 

lespes wrote:
Would of thought Stop start runs off secondary battery, not main battery, so that could be ok and keep stop start working, but main one with stresses of everything else especially in winter would be worth checking testing Thumbs Up

The second battery only supports the cars systems, the stop start works off the main battery, check the voltage of the secondary battery.
Thumbs Up

Post #189202419th Dec 2017 3:20 pm
Di5co_man

I don't think its the battery as it happens on a long runs so the battery should be pretty full. I have it booked in mid January so i'll see what they do with it. Its already been in once for two days for the software to be up dated but it failed so they have requested another 2 days with the car to fix. I'm putting my money on it not getting fixed and after a long drawn out procedure they will put a new unit in.

Another problem to add to the huge number of things i have had done under warranty.

I'll report back on what they did to fix or the outcome of the next attempt.

Post #189220819th Dec 2017 8:38 pm
Davethegeo

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Would be very interested in what the solution is Di5co Man. I'm suspecting either loose cables somewhere, or an ECU problem.
My radio has come back to life now and I haven't changed my battery. There also other slightly strange behaviour such as opening the driver's door did not always bring the 12V sockets to life.
Where would I look for the main audio head unit? Which bit of trim do i start pulling off first?
 D1 300Tdi - gone
D2 Td5 ES (Alive remapped...mmm) - sadly gone
D4 2012 SDV6 XS - Stolen
D4 2014 SDV6 HSE - Shiny

Post #189227319th Dec 2017 10:38 pm
Di5co_man

So the issue with the car seems to be fixed. incidentally it has not occurred since 3 days after i took the car in the first time round so this got me thinking that why would it just not happen again, why would it just resolve itself and not happen again? Out of curiosity i looked at the release dates for IOS ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_...iPod_Touch ) for the iPhone as the problem had been going on for about 10 months or so. It turns out that i can correlate the release dates from when roughly when it started IOS 10.2.1 to 11.2.1 where the issue is now fixed. the release date December 13th 2017 was 3 days after the car was in the workshop where reloading the software didn't fix it. My phone applied the software and i didn't have the issue. My wife continued to have the problem and then said she updated hers a week or so later and the issues stopped for her too.

Its a bit of an odd issue but it has been fine for now but i'll let you know if it comes back!

cheers

Post #190058612th Jan 2018 5:03 pm
UffBrock

That’s uncanny. I’ve realised that the problem I described only arises when I’ve got the phone in the car – which, of course, is most of the time. I only realised this when I managed to leave my phone behind on one occasion. The confounding thing is though that I have an android phone!

I'm up to my eyes in decorating at the moment so I don’t have time to play around. Before I realised it was phone-related, the dealer had suggested trying a hard reset. When I get time I‘ll try that but I’ll also try pairing a different phone to see if I can isolate it to car (bluetooth?), something android related or just my phone in particular.

Post #190058912th Jan 2018 5:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >