Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

auto wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
auto wipers

Help. Had a new windscreen fitted on Friday and although nothing is touched except the connectors for the sensor, my wipers have changed in sensitivity to the effect that torrential rain doesnt activate them in to a "normal" wiping action, just a fast intermittent...as its already booked in at the delaership for other work i will add it to the list, but has anyone experienced this or got any ideas on whats changed?
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #3770916th Jan 2006 5:34 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I expect you have already checked but has the variable speed part of the wiper stalk been put down to it's (slowest) setting?
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #3771016th Jan 2006 5:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aitchy

Cliff H wrote:
I expect you have already checked but has the variable speed part of the wiper stalk been put down to it's (slowest) setting?

ah ha...this was covered late last year, i spotted that this does nothing to the front intermittents (as per handbook) but actually controls speed of rear intermittent, but thanks for the suggestion.
Post #3771116th Jan 2006 5:40 pm
Cliff H

aitchy wrote:
Cliff H wrote:

ah ha...this was covered late last year, i spotted that this does nothing to the front intermittents (as per handbook) but actually controls speed of rear intermittent, but thanks for the suggestion.

No it def alters the sensitivity of my front wipers.
I only have an older copy of the handbook in front of me (my wife has the D3 Crying or Very sad ) but it says
"you can increase or decrease the sensitivity of the rain sensor, and therefore the frequency of the wiper operation, by rotating the delay switch - either clockwise or anti clockwise"
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #3771216th Jan 2006 5:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aitchy

Cliff H wrote:
aitchy wrote:
Cliff H wrote:

No it def alters the sensitivity of my front wipers.

this is waht we discussed way back when...

mpwox11 wrote:
The manual for my RRS states that the rotorary wiper switch adjusts the sensitivity of the front wiper sensor (on vehicles with automatic wipers). However, like you, I found it made no difference. It turns out that it acutally adjusts the delay of the rear wipe - from 4 seconds to 13 seconds.

We've discussed this on the rrsports forum a few times. See http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p...mp;start=0
Yet another example where the Land Rover manual is wrong!
Post #3771316th Jan 2006 5:52 pm
Cliff H

A badly wired RRS Laughing
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #3771416th Jan 2006 5:55 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
auto wipers

I have exactly the same problem. Although I have had a new windscreen I cant definetely say that it's differnt since then. When the car was new the auto wipers were brilliant but now sometimes I have to turn them on to continuous because auto isn't claering the screen enough. Of to the dealer on Werdnesday so I'll report back....
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #3772416th Jan 2006 6:32 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Was the windscreen replaced by a dealer or a windscreen co.?
as with most, if not all electrical connections on the Disco3, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery to prevent errors. It may be possible that the vehicle 'sensed' the disconnection of the rain sensor and defaulted to a timed wipe only.... just a thought Wink

Post #3775316th Jan 2006 7:15 pm
aitchy

10forcash wrote:
Was the windscreen replaced by a dealer or a windscreen co.?
as with most, if not all electrical connections on the Disco3, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery to prevent errors. It may be possible that the vehicle 'sensed' the disconnection of the rain sensor and defaulted to a timed wipe only.... just a thought Wink

RAC Auto windscreens in Corby and the manager was previously at a site in Peterborough with ownership of the Marshalls LR account doing all of their window replacements. He was complimenatry about the ease of replacement and has accepted that if no fault is found its possible that i have a duff windscreen as the sensor is built in at production. All OK under warranty, just a pain to re visit if that turns out to be needed.
Post #3784617th Jan 2006 9:33 am
Matt.y

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What ever the manual might say about adjusting the sensitivity of the front wipers, the stalk adjustment only affects my rear wiper, the front ones continue to over react to the extent they usually end up wiping a mainly dry screen. My dealer thinks that they may be able to alter the sensitivity when the car is next with them, fingers crossed.

Post #3785517th Jan 2006 11:40 am
aitchy

Matt.y wrote:
What ever the manual might say about adjusting the sensitivity of the front wipers, the stalk adjustment only affects my rear wiper, the front ones continue to over react to the extent they usually end up wiping a mainly dry screen. My dealer thinks that they may be able to alter the sensitivity when the car is next with them, fingers crossed.

thats my experience also
Post #3785817th Jan 2006 11:59 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

mine works as advertised.... Very Happy maybe I have a fault Sad Sad

Post #3786017th Jan 2006 12:25 pm
Wineman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Also have the same issue. For me , having not had any of the other troubles that people have complained about on this site(fingers crossed), the wiper issue is the most annoying. The dial has no effect on the speed of my front wipers and they seriously over react. It means that I never use this mode as the noise the chunky wipers make on a dry winescreen is like fingernails on a chalkboard!!!!!! So, I either have the wiper fully on ie no intermittent or manually push the wiper lever down once for a single wipe. I wish I could change this!
 2017 Disco5 First Edition(On Order)
2013 Disco4 HSE Luxury
2012 Disco4 HSE
2005 Disco03 TDV6 HSE
2002 Disco02 TD5 ES
1987 Defender 90(MOD)
2002 Fendt 180 Tractor
1950 Massey Ferguson Tractor 

Post #3786917th Jan 2006 1:20 pm
Matt.y

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Glad it's not just me then. If my dealer can alter the sensitivity and it appears to work I will ask them for details on how they did it and report back.

I have to quantify that MINOR niggles allowing this is by far the most comfortable, mile eating car I have had the pleasure of owning/driving.

Post #3791217th Jan 2006 9:11 pm
Wineman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you find a fix, I for one would apprecaite hearing about it.

I do agree that these are minor points, but for me wipers are sort of fundamental and for such a hi tech car I bothers me that I have manually wipe the windows in certain conditions.
 2017 Disco5 First Edition(On Order)
2013 Disco4 HSE Luxury
2012 Disco4 HSE
2005 Disco03 TDV6 HSE
2002 Disco02 TD5 ES
1987 Defender 90(MOD)
2002 Fendt 180 Tractor
1950 Massey Ferguson Tractor 

Post #3797218th Jan 2006 9:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: