DISCO4.COM > Tips & Tricks

Better Gear Changes and More Low down torque in an AUTOMATIC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
aman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Better Gear Changes and More Low down torque in an AUTOMATIC

For AUTOMATICS

So this is what I recently did and it has helped with MPG as well as the car now changing gears at lower RPMs than before, and the engine idling more smoothly.

I would recommend trying this if you find lack of low down torque and gear changes are happening at higher RPMs rather than lower RPMs, or rough idle.

I take no responsibility for any damage that could occur, but for my car it helped. There are many other things that could cause the symptoms above, so they should all be excluded first if possible.

First make sure car has engine belts that are in good condition and there is enough oil and water in engine. Serious damage could occur if the engine isn't well-maintained. Maybe a good idea to do this just after a belt change.

Allow engine to warm up naturally to operating temperature.

Drive car normally at first, then push gear lever into "sport", then tap gear lever up or down to put the gearbox in manual mode.

Now drive like this for about 2 hours eg on a long motorway drive (I did London - Birmingham), gradually accelerating. Do not manually change the gears, they should change automatically at about 4250 RPM (even when gearbox is in manual mode), so the RPM will tend to be high all the time.

If you were to stick to 70mph the RPMs will be at 3250 (edit - this will be in 4th gear, as the gearbox will not select 5th gear until 4250RPM in MANUAL mode)

Then put lever back into automatic mode, and you should notice better gear changes and more low down torque, as well as a smoother idle. (This is what happened for me)

Last edited by aman on 27th Mar 2016 4:10 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #163076724th Mar 2016 11:49 pm
D16PJM

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

What gear are you in, my auto At 70mph is around 2000 rpm.

Pete
 De tango
BAS remap
EGR blank
Colour coded
21" range rover wheels
tinted windows
side steps
3 blink, C.O.D 

Post #163178127th Mar 2016 3:35 pm
aman

Yes if the gearbox is left in AUTO mode then it will be about 2000RPM in 6th gear at 70mph

If left in MANUAL mode as described above (not AUTO, not SPORT), then the gears will change at about 4250RPM and at 70mph it will be in 4th gear at 3250RPM

I did a separate experiment in AUTO mode:
I put the cruise control at 70mph, and found that in 6th gear the RPM was about 2000RPM - but even though the speed stayed at 70mph, sometimes the RPMs changed a bit, and was as low as 1900RPM and sometimes it was upto 2000RPM, depending on whether I was going uphill or downhill etc - I am not sure if the RPMs should alter like this - maybe you or someone else could confirm whether this is normal?

Last edited by aman on 27th Mar 2016 3:58 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #163178427th Mar 2016 3:42 pm
D16PJM

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

OK, is this to alter the adaptive gear change then
 De tango
BAS remap
EGR blank
Colour coded
21" range rover wheels
tinted windows
side steps
3 blink, C.O.D 

Post #163179227th Mar 2016 3:48 pm
aman

I have no technical knowledge what this does - I just tried it as an experiment and I am sharing my results with you guys

I think for my car, it probably just blasted out some of the crap that had built up inside the engine etc (my car had mainly been driven within the M25 of London by previous owners, and was previously quite sluggish...)

Post #163179527th Mar 2016 3:51 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

D16PJM wrote:
OK, is this to alter the adaptive gear change then

Sounds like it's changing thd adaptive bit. Thumbs Up

ISTR it's on a 150 mile cycle so wouldn't last long til needs redone.

Post #163179927th Mar 2016 3:57 pm
aman

Although I did the London - Birmingham experiment (100 miles?), the reason for doing the experiment was that I noticed positive results when I did my initial experiment along 10 miles of the A40 in London.

So to confirm, I achieved positive results after a 10 mile experiment, so I thought I would repeat it for 100 miles.

So I don't think the adaptive bit would have been altered during 10 miles, but as I said, I do not have much technical knowledge.

ALSO, the car smokes a LOT LESS now on acceleration, and accelerates more quickly!

ALSO, the car is more responsive with only a light touch of the accelerator pedal.

Can now drive in AUTO at 40mph, and the car will select 5th gear and be at approximately 1400RPM. At 30 mph the gearbox is in 4th gear at approximately 1400RPM. etc

Last edited by aman on 27th Mar 2016 9:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #163180227th Mar 2016 4:04 pm
alex_pescaru

When in manual mode, the box will still automatically change up based on the foolproof algorithm, when the RPM will reach the danger zone for the engine.
And what you've done is known as the "Italian tuneup". Laughing

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 27th Mar 2016 4:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #163180327th Mar 2016 4:09 pm
aman

Oh thats interesting. I just learnt something new!

I googled it for everyone to read:

"An Italian tuneup usually refers to a process whereby a motor vehicle engine is run at full load for extended periods in order to burn carbon buildup from the combustion chambers, spark plugs, and exhaust system. It is particularly useful for vehicles that are only operated at low speeds on short journeys, but can help any vehicle to run cleaner longer, and for diesel vehicles prior to emissions testing.

The origin of the Italian tuneup comes from Ferrari. Owners would drive their cars infrequently and never run them hard, which causes the engine to build up enough carbon inside to affect performance. Mechanics would perform a "tuneup" by driving several laps around a race track to get the engine hot enough to burn out the built up carbon. Cars before the advent of modern engine lubricants and fuels, often had a 'de-coke' by hand, after removing the cylinder head, as a scheduled service operation."

Post #163180527th Mar 2016 4:13 pm
anglefire

England 

My first VW beetle had a diet of detergent free engine oil - so, from memory it had to be changed every 3000miles and the engine stripped every 30k to decoke it. Luckily the oil was very cheap and the oil filter was a gauze. And the engine could be dropped, stripped and rebuilt and back in again in a morning.

I did remove the engine in the Hall of Residence carpark one saturday afternoon when I thought there was an issue with the clutch as it wasn't returning properly. After I couldn't find an issue with the clutch, had another look and found a penny under the return stop (The peddles, like the 911 (Or the 911 like the beetle!) hinged from the floor)
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #163189327th Mar 2016 7:17 pm
SN

Remember those pedals in my 66 Beetle
What were worse though were those fitted to the Wartburg of the late 70's - clutch and brake pedals were very weird - no hinges at all
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #163199427th Mar 2016 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I quite liked the peddles in my old '62 Beetle...

Post #165473214th May 2016 5:40 pm
anglefire

England 

I drove my uncles 911 2.7 on my 21st birthday (so some 30years ago Shocked ) and it was just like driving my 1302s - but quicker Laughing luckily I kept missing third and hitting 5th so didn't keep my toe in and stayed below 60 (in a 30 Whistle )
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #165474814th May 2016 6:21 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had to give the wifes A4 an italian tune to pass the mot and was most Censored off that the thing still changed up a gear in manual mode!

Post #165480014th May 2016 7:55 pm
cdf

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I do find just driving in manual every now and then seems to help. I think it helps to wake up the learning in the gearbox and reset it. It's as if it stops learning after a while and just sticks.
I have also seen the mpg do the same if not reset it just seems to get a figure and stay there.
But was pleased to see the mpg clicking round on my trip to Scotland. I did check it at the pump and was about 34 mpg.

Post #18452608th Aug 2017 3:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >