Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Autologic and Height Calibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Autologic and Height Calibration

Can the Autologic system be used to do a height calibration?

Also the BBS system?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4913005th Jul 2009 4:21 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Yes, the Faultmate can do the suspension cal. Very quick and easy.
Not sure about the autologic (it probly can) 10FC will be able to answer that

Post #4913025th Jul 2009 4:43 am
caverD3

Thanks Baben. Thumbs Up
I was pretty sure it did.

I'll wait till the Poms are awake I am sure TFC would know about Autologic.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4913035th Jul 2009 5:01 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yep, Autologic can do a height calibration

Post #4913615th Jul 2009 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Goood morning TFC and thanks. Thumbs Up Just wanted to make sure before I opened my mouth.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #4913755th Jul 2009 1:32 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No worries mate, takes about 20 mins, the Autologic is also capable of recovering a corrupted settings file - one of the things you can do is reduce the actual measurements to give a higher 'normal' ride height (although this may cause 'soft' faults if access or offroad heights are selected if the offset is too much) - should get rid of those nasty bongs when cresting dunes at 45kph Wink you can always reset to actual measurements later

Post #4913775th Jul 2009 1:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Indie with autologic just tried to do a height calibration and could not get it to take.
Vehicle now has no calibration, will not alter height and has suspension fault showing. Occasionally says "suspension fault speed limited to 35 mph" Any ideas what might be at fault and what is mph? Whistle
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #55397120th Nov 2009 12:28 pm
Baben

That error will occur if you are in tight tolerance mode - you need to check that the suspension is in normal mode

Post #55407720th Nov 2009 3:44 pm
caverD3

Dealer had problems getting it to calibrate as well so possibly not the originla calibration problem?
It will hapilly go over 35mph. any conequences of driving it normally if it is in TTM?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #55433920th Nov 2009 11:33 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The calibration aspect of the EAS is not exactly rocket science.
The EAS ECU has 4 values stored in it, one for each corner.
There is an offset to them so that negative values can be applied.

A perfect vehicle would have 0,0,0,0 in them but mine has like plus or minus four or five which is actually the calibration for sensor and linkage fitment varience. I gather those sorts of values are pretty normal, and if far beyond them something is wrong.

1 either way is worth .5 of a MM
however the calibration value allowable by the ECU is restricted to a maximum of plus or minus 50
so you can go -50 to +50

it works inversely

So if like i did today when i did a bit of off roading, you want to lift the vehicle by 25 MM you can dial in -50 for all four corners, if you want to lower the vehicle by 25mm you can dial in +50.

obvioulsy if you try to write the values to +60 it wont happen and the ECU will not change its previous value

but otherwise i really dont understand a "could not get it to take" statement.

does the AL give you the values and allow you to edit and change them like the FM does, or does it follow the ids in that you have to input height measurement and it does all the math and write values not actually seen?

Just my 2C worth if it helps Thumbs Up

Post #55450221st Nov 2009 7:54 pm
caverD3

If it is it tight tolerance mode then it would not take the values I assume. Not sure how Auto logic works but poss like IDS?
The dealer first tried with adjustable rods on and blamed the rods for not being able to get it to calibrate. Ended up with the front down and a lot worse than when they sarted.
Adjustable rods off and off to indie with AL, same problem then they said it wouldn't take the height figures. So said it was drivable and they would check on AL site for more help.
Height is much better, a little high at the back perhaps. Suspension fault message and unable to select access or off-road heights, TR seems to work though.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #55460822nd Nov 2009 12:14 am
Baben

I have watched the dealer battle with calibration using their system because they have to enter a measured value then allow the system to calculate the offset. If the difference between individual corners is too high, the calibration fails and there is nothing they can do except replace all 4 height sensors.

If the AL works differently maybe your indie can asist. If not, you need access to a faultmate, because with this you are able to insert any variable within the 50 to -50 range regardless of how it affects the eventual height or balance

please ensure you check what mode the suspension is in, as I seem to remember having problems with the values being accepted while in tight tolerance mode. I don't know if this is valid for all systems or just FM

Post #55499223rd Nov 2009 5:06 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Its possible that if the system is in TTM then the EAS system might not provide sufficient flexibility to achieve the overall balance that the IDS requires in its calibration routine. But thats a procedural error rather than an inability of the EAS to store calibration values.

I also dunno if the AL is different in how it approaches sensor set up value calculations etc, i understand it mainly equals the IDS way of doing things pretty much verbatim which would explain the reason the indie struggled too. As Baben says, that almost inevitably involves a lot of running round endlessly with the special tool (thats a tape measure BTW) endlessly re feeding in values and praying every time that the IDS accepts them as being withing its expected range, then up down wait for the compressor to cool for half hour and start all over again.

But as i already stated, it's really just values in memory, once you strip out all the "make it seem proceedurally complex but as long as you follow our procedure exactly " rubbish, thats supposed to ensure that even a burger flipper can do it then you find you just need to tweak them around a bit to set the car level.
After all, if you just change one sensor on one corner, why the bejesus would you want to mess with the values on the other 3 corners. You just tweak the values for that corner a little bit till the car is level again

4 mm too hight this corner, so you gotta add 8, like i said it ain't rocket science eh Baben. Thumbs Up

Post #55503123rd Nov 2009 10:16 am
caverD3

Can the faultmate put it in TTM?
Just got back from a round trip about 400km including farm tracks and paddocks probably in TTM. Whistle
No issues but suspension was less compliant than normal. TR still worked fine.
I just thought that if TTM ignores the height sensor readings then putting it into it would overcome a suspension failure caused by damaged/failed height sensor. Idea
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #55551424th Nov 2009 7:47 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

caverD3 wrote:
Can the faultmate put it in TTM?

Yes it can.

It can switch the operational mode between Normal, Manufacturing and Calibration.

The tolerance state can be set (or unset) between Normal and Tight Tolerance

I'm not sure why TTM would make the ride less compliant - I imagine that it would make the D3 work overtime correcting the height non-stop, but that's all.

Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #55555524th Nov 2009 10:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >