Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Aux Battery Box Cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Carabraxis

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'd not noticed that - will have a look as I'd like to get the lid on if at all possible.

Post #36196319th Oct 2008 10:00 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

I was looking at this recently, as I could not get the terminals I had bought to clear nicely (cut them down in the end) but basically the cover seems to be there to stop all the grime getting around the brake components etc. Also, it does seem to be there to stop water running down against the bulkhead when wading.

The cover should fit if you hacked it about a bit I reckon, say cut along the short side and some slits so it pushed it up, better than nothing? You could re-seal the whole lot with some tape. I bet they are not much to buy if you ever want to reverse the process.

There are lots of threads on other LR forums about using the alternator feed for switching a relay, have to be careful with alternator type from what I read. If you don't want a proper split charge, what about a simple voltage sensing relay, they are slightly more expensive, but less wiring.

Post #36234120th Oct 2008 12:01 pm
Carabraxis

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I was avoiding the voltage sensing type as I figured the variable charging voltage from the D3 would confuse it. If that's not the case then its a good way to go.

The other question I guess is what is proper split charging. Other than display units and link switches surely all any of them are is a relay that is actuated by some means when the engine is running.

As all I am going to be using this for is charging the kids toys and running a small cool box for my lunch in the summer I wanted to keep it as simple as possible - I would even be happy with a manual switch to turn the solenoid on.

The other driving force for using the leisure battery is that it is a spare for the tin tent and having it under the bonnet keeps it charged and able to be used in the van if we are without electrics for an extended time.

Post #36234620th Oct 2008 12:23 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

"proper split charging" is a long debate with no clear answer it seems based on previous threads!

I guess the number 1 aim is to only charge the secondary battery, once the primary is full. There are ways of doing this, but detecting voltage is one of them. You don't need a display really, they serve little purpose when you know what you are draining, but for casual camping weekend away I think its a useful feature to see how flat the secondary is.

You can just join the batteries as you said, I used to have a system in an car I owned a while back where a simple timer (maplin or somewhere) counted to 30 before joining the batteries once the ignition was on. This gave time to start the car before the load of the second battery was added to the alternator. Worked of for me for 5 years.

The danger with a manual switch, is that you can forget and leave the batteries joined flattening your primary, if it really is manual. If you take the manual switch from the ignition, then you can't go wrong I guess.

Lots people on here have a straighforward relay from the ignition between the two with isolation, works ok for them. Another chunk have the australian drivesafe system that is voltage sensed, and provides either 40A or 80A charge to the secondary (depending on the model). This is simple to fit, but means you can't jump the car from the secondary as the current capacity is too low. Some others (me included) have complicated systems like the IBS one, which voltage sense from a control box, join with a relay and have a display so you can see charge and manually link the batteries to jump from the secondary.

Its horses for courses really, I would go with something simple and low cost for what you want, but I would advise against taking an alternator feed unless you are sure you know where to connect it based on problems others have seen on Defenders with alternators feeds.

Post #36238620th Oct 2008 2:13 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Good info

Hi, this is good info. Thanks
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #201843814th Jan 2019 11:07 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Click image to enlarge

Whistle