Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Aux Belt Tensioner Loose After Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4
Aux Belt Tensioner Loose After Service

Hi all, my wife's 2016 D4 was in for a full service including belts last week (58k miles), it was returned on Tuesday and she complained that it didn't feel right, I took it for a short drive and thought it was just due to her having had a newer hybrid courtesy car so the D4 felt a bit agricultural, but this morning she rang me because the engine was sounding like a bag of spanners so I told her to pull over and ring LR.

They sent a mechanic out (she was only 10 miles or so from the dealership) and it turns out that the Aux belt tensioner was pretty much hanging off, meaning if she'd have carried on for a few miles it would likely have come off, resulting in a f***ed engine.

Can anyone here advise on whether this might have caused any damage despite catching it before the tensioner/belt gave way, and also would this be cause for some form of compensation having spent £1500 or so on the service a few days previous?

Post #23099256th Oct 2022 10:56 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Shouldn't have caused any damage - I think it's most likely just an 'end of life' tensioner, probably hurried along by having the belts changed where it has to be moved to it's extents rather than just hopping around in the middle of them. As it's not a part that was replaced on service, I can't see why any 'compensation' would be required, the dealership may well discount the replacement cost as a goodwill gesture but I don't see why the first thing you think of is 'compensation' for something wearing out.

Post #23099316th Oct 2022 11:35 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Because they've taken an important part off that can cause catastrophic damage, that was obviously worn out, then replaced it and given the car back to my wife to drive off in, putting her in a potentially dangerous position (if the tensioner had gone all power steering would have failed etc) - according to the LR mechanic who came out it was very obviously f***ed so should never have been refitted and should have been spotted.

When using the main dealer you're paying a huge premium for supposedly a premium service so that you're not left in positions like this. She's had to miss the appointment she was on her way to, and its caused a number of hassles as we now don't have the car in use for x amount of time.

Post #23099366th Oct 2022 11:59 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

None of which you stated in your original post.

A tensioner takes about 40 mins to replace so unless there's no stock, I don't see why you're without one of your vehicles.

Anyway, bang the drum for your compo, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.

Post #23099386th Oct 2022 12:31 pm
beanoir

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Aux belt tensioners aren’t removed to change the belt.

I agree though, it would have been good practice to check the condition of them whilst doing the job though. As for compensation, there wouldn’t be a case. Compensation, by its very definition is to compensate you for a loss, which you haven’t suffered. You can’t claim compensation for a potential loss.

Post #231891015th Dec 2022 10:55 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

The aux. belt tensioner is removed to change the timing belt - which is what it appears was changed as the OP mentioned plural belts, but yes, to replace just the aux. drive belt, the tensioner doesn't have to be removed.

Post #231891415th Dec 2022 11:03 pm
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The main dealer also has apprentice's, who despite your premium bill know F'all and will work on your vehicle (often) unsupervised, as the tech is busy doing other work, chatting to customers, or sitting on there Censored . I have zero trust in main dealers.
A motor with the brake pads fitted the wrong way round at service was delivered back to us. (about a 10 mile trip) yet no one from the dealer even noticed the horrendous noise it was making.

Perhaps your tensioner was left loose, perhaps it was worn slightly and should have been replaced, perhaps it was fine when looked at, but wore out quickly due to the strain of a new belt.
It would be hard to prove any of that.

As for compo Rolling Eyes there is a lot parts that can go wrong on a disco, or any vehicle.
Surely we cant get compo for every single little thing that goes wrong.

Post #231892116th Dec 2022 12:15 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You would have thought, as a minimum, due to a duty of care, when carrying out work on critical components the procedure would be that a more senior experienced person should check the work done afterwards.
Perhaps it’s simply down to people trying to do 10 things at once, which is when errors and issues creep in. Not excusing it, but lots of examples in around.
Hope it all got rectified and resolved.
I now use a well respected independent , my trust levels are so much higher. They even talked me through every step of their procedure for an oil change recently so that I could do it myself the next time if I wanted (oil dilution after 6m). Lots of top tips on tools and procedures. Been a very long time since I did anything like that on my car. In the end charged me for 30 minutes time at reasonable rates so not sure I’ll bother.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #231895416th Dec 2022 10:33 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

jenseneverest wrote:
The main dealer also has apprentice's, who despite your premium bill know F'all and will work on your vehicle (often) unsupervised, as the tech is busy doing other work, chatting to customers, or sitting on there Censored . I have zero trust in main dealers.

The exact reason I haven't been using LR dealerships in years ...... a good Indie all the way. Thumbs Up
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #231895716th Dec 2022 10:50 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

The only comments I'll add, as only the tech('s) involved will know what actually went wrong with the fitting of the brake pads is...

Apprentices are fully supervised for the first two years and then work under supervision for the final year with 100% checks - often there is only one in the dealership at a time, unless it's one of the new 'Gin Palace' combined JLR ones then there may be two. The only tech's you'll find talking to customers (except perhaps for a quick chat in the car park) are the diag/master tech's as that's part of their job. As for sitting around - clearly you don't know how the wage structure works, it's based upon productivity, if you're not achieving your productivity threshold, then you're losing money.

Having worked in a few dealerships, including JLR, I wouldn't take anything a service receptionist - sorry, service 'advisor' told me, particularly in response to a complaint as having any relationship with facts whatsoever. The main reason is cr@p like Google reviews etc. where companies are so focussed upon the modern equivalent of 'tomorrows fish & chip paper' the service receptionists, who are monitored on such pointless guff, will pretty much say anything to deflect a negative review.

Frankly the tech's don't care about that stuff and will call a spade a spade, I had a long conversation with a customer today, he'd been to a couple of other dealers who had failed to properly diagnose the issue (partly customer induced), the service advisor had blown smoke up his @rrse - which he'd sussed, so I was wheeled out to give a dose of facts. He thanked me for my honesty and later on emailed the franchise Director to express his displeasure at being lied to for the sake of a 'good review' and to express his thanks for being able to speak to someone who would tell him the full story, even if he didn't want to hear some of it.

And yes, I've worked for Indies - I prefer dealerships, a lot less sharp practices IMO

Post #231901916th Dec 2022 5:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >