Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Avon ZX7 (D4 - 255/50/R20)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Saense

United Kingdom 
Avon ZX7 (D4 - 255/50/R20)

Anyone tried the Avon ZX7's on their D4 ?

Looking at a new pair of front tyres , The Scorpion Zero's have lasted about 18 months (Around 24k) and are now very expensive compared to the £155 i paid last November for a pair on the rear!

The Avon ZX7 is on offer at the moment for £146.11 , Fitted

The Pirelli Scorpion Zero is £189.47 , Fitted

The Pirelli looks to have a more aggressive pattern , and is what came on the car, also what has been fitted to a few courtesy cars i've had from Landrover (Reliable aren't they Laughing ) . So my question is, what would be the better all-year tyre, should i just stick with the Pirelli's for the extra £80 or so it'll be to fit a pair?

I don't want to be left sliding around in snow if we get any!

Post #200391326th Nov 2018 6:16 pm
Saense

United Kingdom 

Thinking about this further, I could go for 255/55/20 for more choice, but would have to change all four.

Is there any suggestion if the Scorpion Zero's are Better than the Scorpion Verde? Verde is a lot more expensive in most places.

Edit : Take it 275/50/20 wouldn't work on the Landmark alloys? I'd still be increasing the overall size wouldn't i?

Doesn't appear pirelli ATR's are available for landmark wheels

Post #200407627th Nov 2018 1:55 pm
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The Avon and the Scorpion Verde are obviously more road biased than the Scorpion Zero. I suspect the former two are more suited to SUVs than the Discovery but it depends what you want from your vehicle and where you are driving it.

There seems to be a bit of a gap in the market for people who want a road biased tyre that can also handle some snow, ice and country lanes. The main choices seem to be the Pirelli Scorpion Zero or the Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weather. I know some people have fitted Michelins and liked them, whilst others are advocates of the Pirelli ATR which seems to wear well and be good on and off road.

My experience has been with the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros, General AT and the Pirelli Scorpion All Seasons. The Zeros wore very quickly, the AT became very noisy as they wore, whilst the All Seasons have lasted well and have coped with everything I have encountered. I'd happily recommend the All Seasons but they do look expensive due to recent price increases.

The treadwear rating of the tyres may help you as a guide to longevity:

Pirelli Scorpion Zero = 400
Pirelli Scorpion Verde = 400
Pirelli Scorpion All Season = 600

Post #200409027th Nov 2018 2:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >