Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

Awful Service - Lookers Land Rover Buckinghamshire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Surfrider

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Awful Service - Lookers Land Rover Buckinghamshire

Just wanted to summarise this experience with Lookers Land Rover Buckinghamshire. Apologies in advance for the length!

Booked in for two faults. One with the passenger side rear door latch faulty. It would light intermittently trigger door open sensor while driving and also set the alarm off randomly while parked and locked. Also, the same door's keyless entry wasn't working. Grab the handle and nothing would happen. All other doors worked just fine.

Originally brought in on the 27th of December 2019. They said they replaced the door latch and the keyless entry issue was related to that. All was said to be working repaired and done. Picked up the car and lo and behold, there is zero change with the keyless entry. They looked incredulous when I pointed it out and was told to bring it the following week and they would fix it as I waited on site. (strike 1)

I bring it in the following week and after sitting around for well over 2 hours am told they need to replace the entire door handle. Further, they needed to order this part and it would take A MONTH to get it in! Quite annoyingly, I agreed and booked an appointment for the 11th of Feb, which was the soonest available. I was pleased to be told a courtesy car would be provided. (strike 2)

Come in for the 11th Feb 2 day booking for handle replacement and courtesy car. Upon arrival, I had to explain the ENTIRE problem all over again from scratch. Sat around for a further 30 minutes, as they didn't have the courtesy car ready at all. Was told it was dirty and no fuel. After a long wait, given a nice new 2020 RR Evoque with 1/4 tank of fuel.

Forward to the next day 12th Feb. I was called up and told my D4 was ready for pickup. Arrived with 8 months pregnant wife in tow to pick up the D4. Came in and handed keys to the courtesy car back, then waited 20+ minutes after multiple prods of staff to get the car brought around for pickup. As soon as D4 is handed over (still at LR mind you), I notice the red battery light is lit on the dash. Worse yet, as soon as I test the keyless entry, there has been no change whatsoever!! Still not functioning on the rear px door. They hadn't even bloody bothered to test the damn thing and handed it over with a low battery light. What in the actual F are they thinking?? Had master mechanic come out and say his job card just said replace door handle. No notes as to why or any mention of keyless entry system. Then had manager and other staff gathered around.. all the while I am just livid at this point. I was asked to re-book the following week and offered another courtesy car. Exasperated and frustrated.. agreed again. (strike 3)

Feb 17th booking appointment, wife brought the D4 in as I was busy with work that day. Wife called ahead and asked the courtesy car be ready and was assured it was good to go. On arrival, they took our D4 and then wife was given a crappy old Discovery Sport with nearly a dead empty fuel tank listing 35 miles left before empty! The entire process of drop off, paperwork, bring car around, then wait while they run back off to put petrol in, then hand over AGAIN took over an hour!! .. absolutely unacceptable. (strike 4)

This repair took 5 full working days. The fix action was supposedly that they "replaced a faulty door module". Whatever the case, it indeed did work and the D4 is back in working order. All completed under LR Approved Used Warranty.

Overall, this entire process took 4 different bookings over 9 full working days worth of appointments. Absolute lack of communication across bookings and job cards. Horrendous wait times in the service center. Courtesy cars not ready for appointment, handed over empty of fuel twice. My D4 handed back with them claiming the fault fixed twice without them obviously even bothering to check the repair. Once handed back with a battery fault lit on the dash.

Complete amateur hour incompetence from start to finish with this location. Beware.
 2016 D4 HSE Lux  
Post #212370625th Feb 2020 10:09 am
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Your lucky they had not battered it, called you a liar when asked why it is damaged and then taken three attempts to repair their damage!
Good luck with finding a better dealer in the area! Rolling Eyes
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #212371125th Feb 2020 10:15 am
Pelyma

England 

No the stock answer is, "That's how it is supposed to work sir, you shouldn't believe what you read on the internet and the manual is only generic so you can't rely on that."
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #212371325th Feb 2020 10:24 am
Surfrider

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Unnecessary quote removed

There's truth in this. The day I had half a dozen members of staff stood around, the mechanic kept pressing the square button on the door handle trying to unlock the truck. I had to show how grasping the handle unlocks with the other doors. Another one insisted it only worked on the front doors. Then had to walk around to the drivers side rear door and show how it worked, yet the px side rear didn't.

Their "master mechanic" came out at one point and looked to be about 25 years old. In fairness, he suggested the door module, which was the fault in the end.

Just shockingly bad service all around.

I've already emailed JLR customer service and blasted them a 1 star google review.

If it weren't for the Approved Used warranty, I'd have it at an indy shop.
 2016 D4 HSE Lux  
Post #212373025th Feb 2020 11:28 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It is very frustrating when these dealership people don’t understand how the car they are fixing is supposed to work. It’s what they do for a living, so they need to be encouraged to show an interest, do some research and take opportunities to learn about the various cars they work on.
Glad is fixed. I have seen threads on low fuel in courtesy cars several times and it’s not uncommon. There was one on here explaining why it happens from a garage owners point of view.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #212374425th Feb 2020 1:33 pm
Washwipe

England 

Worrying thing for me, I think this is Lookers new site that only opened a few months ago, mine is booked in for its fourth service and MOT, next month, they need it for two days when it’s half a days work Rolling Eyes
I had an issue with them two years ago, now it’s seemed to have the bad eggs from the old Lookers set up ten miles away and from what I’m told, the dregs from Pratstones when they closed a few months back.

Post #212384525th Feb 2020 7:44 pm
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

so where is a decent Indi in Bucks?

I've recently been dealing with James French for warranty fixes and I continue to be stunned by the sheer incompetence and terrible communication and lack of people skills of their front of house team.
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #212386025th Feb 2020 8:39 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Head over to Rovertune in Reading Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #212386425th Feb 2020 8:56 pm
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks Rob,

As soon as I am out of their warranty period I'll check out Rovertune Thumbs Up
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #212387925th Feb 2020 10:19 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The problem with Land Rover (and probably other major brands) is the public facing staff, the ones that meet greet give you coffee and write out the job sheets are not mechanical in the slightest. They are trained in PR and customer facing.

The few decent mechanics are kept in locked cupboards and not allowed to interact with joe public. They just have to interpret the job sheet as written and often it’s wrong.

It’s not how it used to be at LR dealers. When I got my first D3 there would often be meetings in the car park between me, service manager, mechanic and we would work through, talk about and demonstrate issues and problems and it would invariably get fixed.

Ok didn’t get cake and coffee, but I suggest the end result was better for all concerned and meant I bought more new cars. Not at the moment, I have not got confidence that I will have a good experience.

Post #212388325th Feb 2020 10:37 pm
Washwipe

England 

My dealings with Lookers a couple of years back, strange set up, you go to the booking reception, two girls filing their nails, you were assigned then to a service clerk who then is the only person you can speak to, whole process of dropping a vehicle for service taking well over an hour. The waiting area is full of customers waiting for the assigned clerk. The waiting area had six three seater sofas, all seats taken, we just wondered around the showroom, only to be told we should wait in the waiting area.Two girls on reception happily filing their nails.
No matter how many times you call for updates, no one but the your personnel clerk will tell you anything.
We fell out last year over the fact we booked ours in two months in advance requesting a courtesy vehicle, only to get a call forty five minutes before we were due to go in saying no courtesy car available as they were all allocated to other customers, the fact that the wife needed a car to get to work did not matter.

Coming to the end of the service plan.

Post #212389125th Feb 2020 11:22 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

https://www.lookers.co.uk/complaints

They can't learn and change if they aren't told.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #212389225th Feb 2020 11:24 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Disco3Ben wrote:
Thanks Rob,

As soon as I am out of their warranty period I'll check out Rovertune Thumbs Up

Rob runs a very tight show there and is very customer focussed. Their new customer "office" might be open now = desks, wifi, coffee etc.
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #212390826th Feb 2020 7:27 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Surfrider wrote:

If it weren't for the Approved Used warranty, I'd have it at an indy shop.

An indy can do work under the LRA warranty...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #212393926th Feb 2020 11:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

well at least (if I can say that) you got it into a dealer - I couldnt get 2 of the midlands dealers to even call me back when trying to get mine booked in for a service - obviously making too much money to need to book work in.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #212400826th Feb 2020 4:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >