Awnings???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Awnings???

So what do I go for;
1. Foxwing C£600
2. Hawkwing C£300 (looks like the same design but obviously cheaper plastic parts but at half the price is it worth the risk?)
3. Something completely different?

I like the idea of an oztent rv4 but with tents coming out of my ears can't really warrant the cost or need of a new one, unless some one can convince me. Thumbs Up

All in aid of the 3 week European trip this summer.

Thanks

Simon.
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #128355213th May 2014 7:49 pm
SWR

Also should point out it's going on a front runner rack.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #128355513th May 2014 7:51 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Foxwings are a brilliant idea but are very susceptible to damage if you try to put it up on you own in only slight wind. They give a massive area and are pretty stable when you peg them down with 2 guide ropes per pole. Hannibal do really good sturdy awnings but they don't offer the same coverage. Wouldn't entertain a hawkwing. There was another awning like a Fox wing at Peterborough last year but I can't remember the name, very solid but istr it was about £900.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #128356113th May 2014 7:56 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm in the same boat, looking at options to add on to car or triller either 270 degree Foxwing type awning for the D3 or a fixed 2m or slightly shorter to fit side or rear of trailer, I'd want side walls to add shelter so will watch with interest, currently investigating tuff trek awnings as they're looking good value Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #128356813th May 2014 8:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SWR

Thanks for the info Ent.
Will keep an eye out and see

Next question. Best place to buy?

Mods:

Post #128358513th May 2014 8:35 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

4x4 Overlander.com fox wing
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #128360113th May 2014 9:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tuff-Trek-4x4-27...2ed18ea54d

these ones Greg? they do look really good and I think that would look awesome on a trailer and not as expensive as a foxwing. Also looks like it come with sides. I am too looking but won't be needing one for while as the trailer is not built Whistle
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #128364213th May 2014 10:02 pm
SWR

tuff Trek looks interesting, and a great price. Cant seem to access their website, does anyone know if they are still running?

Mods:

Post #128367013th May 2014 10:26 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes they are, although the site appears to be down Confused The owner is a great guy, I had lots of conversation with him about RT's before I bought my secondhand Hannibal, I have begun the awning discussion Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #128367213th May 2014 10:29 pm
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

well let us know how it goes Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #128367613th May 2014 10:42 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

OK standard warning about our commercial interests over with.

The Ostrich wing is a free standing 270 degree awning sold by Safari Equip. Last price I heard was about £1,080 including the VAT. As it is a free standing awning it really does need some serious bracket work. I seem to think that on the Safari Equip Defender they have used double 6 mm plates on the rear roof corner of the Defender. I would not consider fitting one to a Defender a simple job. I have not seen one fitted to a Discovery yet.

The Foxwing awning by Oztent and Rhino Rack was one of the first 270 degree awnings and have patents on them. However certain countries ignore international patents.

Yes they are susceptible to wind if not properly guyed down as they give 10 square metres of shade. However from personal experience if correctly guyed down they will withstand 55mph winds. In the event of an accident we can supply a range of spare parts, hinges, hinge plates, poles etc. We also have a range of awning extensions and mesh floor savers for the Foxwing. The Oztents will zip onto the Foxwing

There are several companies importing imitation Foxwing 270 degree awning from China and use various names such as batwing, hawkwing etc. Now how many of those companies will give backup to the products they sell?

Brendan

Post #128369713th May 2014 11:15 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Brendan.. Will you have any of the new fox wing floors on display at Ripley this weekend ?

Uncle Ray has been telling me about them Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #128372014th May 2014 12:21 am
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

We will have the new Foxwing mesh floor savers on display,plus MFS for standard tents. Also will be showing the new Oztent Gecko chair. The Gecko stretcher and bi fold table which were new last year but in short supply will be with us. Personally I think the Gecko stretcher is the best size.

Other new items include the new stainless steel Nakatanenga Defender wheel carrier. Also will have upgraded Defender bonnet hinges with us Thumbs Up

Brendan

Post #128376614th May 2014 7:25 am
SWR

With the interest in the topic. Is there a group buy opportunity? Thumbs Up

Mods:

Post #128386014th May 2014 10:13 am
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Hmmm, group buy on the Foxwing, and I'm in. Thumbs Up

Post #128389114th May 2014 11:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >