Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Bad Report for D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
catweasel

I wouldn't worry at all. do you intend to drive like an idiot, I don't think so. while I haven't had a real deep crossing I did go through water as deep as the wheel and went through fast enough to cover the D3 in water over the roof. was speaking to a Land Rover enthusiast (he has 7 LR's registered and many more needing TLC) and his mate has a FFRR and his other mate tried to follow him through a dam in his Patrol and ended up needing a new engine. common sense will prevail.
for interest, here is some of his Land Rovers (white D3 is mine) and he has hundreds of models too.

Post #9619022nd Oct 2006 12:12 pm
ian mac

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Bad Report for D3

thanks for input cat. no way i will be going into water any deeper than i have to and read landrover max as 700mm.have driven d2 on bribie island near brisbane and watched as impatient drivers flooded an old range rover and than a vitara because they couldn,t wait for a tidal creek to drop.it looked like a great spot for a paddle and we moved on an hour later with no fuss with the water at shin height.note this water is tidal so must have been pretty salty.p.s. jealous of your friend.lots of cool toys

Post #9635123rd Oct 2006 11:53 am
catweasel

if you're ever in S.A. and happen to be in Wilmington, drop in and check out his toys. he's a Land Rover nut

Post #9635423rd Oct 2006 12:09 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Ian,

Some blokes who post at AULRO provided the inside story. One heard the testers on the two-way, one spoke to one of the testers, and a couple have been in touch with the LR techs in Cairns who looked at the car after it was brought back.

It seems that until they broke it, the D3 was the only vehicle being used to get all the others through as it was the only one capable of doing so. All the other cars kept getting stuck, but they chose not to report that.

I suppose LR should be flattered that they went to such lengths to break the car.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #9635623rd Oct 2006 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just thinking, there a might be a lesson to be learnt. Maybe trying to destroy the D3 has shown a weakness. Water ingress into the electronics under extreem conditions. Maybe making the fuse box more watertight might be a good idea.
Had a look at mine but was not keen to take the tape off yet. but maybe some silicone or even just grease around the openings in the fuse box might help. If I was going to do a major wet trip I would do something with it as insurance.

BTW what is the spare wire inthe battery box for? Mine is an SE so it may be for an extra on the HSE.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9663425th Oct 2006 1:15 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

CaverD3,

Where is this spare wire you are refering to?

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #9663625th Oct 2006 3:21 am
caverD3

the end plug is sitting on top of the battery hold down bar.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9663825th Oct 2006 4:04 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Caver, the spare wire is for the transit relay, waterproofing the BJB is pretty futile as there is a large cable entry hole at the far end of it, they must havev been trying pretty hard to break it (possibly also removing the battery box cover - or not having it fitted securely) as i've never had any water ingress in either box, despite having water witness marks over the entirety of the engine bay

Post #10131913th Nov 2006 12:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

TFC
What's a transit relay?
Someone else just started a post on deep wading with poll if anyone has had trouble. They may be thinking of this problem.
If they tried really hard to break the D3 and this is all they could find it isn't bad really but some silicone may prevent failures after a comlete dunking.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #10143713th Nov 2006 8:45 pm
10forcash

The transit relay basically isolates all battery power to the vehicle whilst in transit to prevent battery discharge... i'll see if I can find a picture
Agree about protecting the electrics as much as possible, although the hole at the rear of the BJB passes the 'two-finger test' Wink

Post #10156314th Nov 2006 10:39 am
caverD3

Just build up some silicone bit at a time should do it. I would not bother unless I am going to be doing extreme wading in very isolated places, its just an extra precaution. It may just need the right water in the right situation at the right angle for water to get there.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #10183314th Nov 2006 9:57 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

To anyone considering sealing up the battery box altogether: What about underbonnet temperatures? I recall Gordon (disco4x4au) mentioning that the temperatures were so high that the extra compressor he installed was removed (amongst other reasons dirt, dust?).

The sealing will not allow air to circulate and I would be Very careful of sealing up all holes and then discovering the warranty on an already expensive battery was voided.

Just a thought.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #1076727th Dec 2006 7:41 am
amoir

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I bought my near new TDV6 about 4 months ago & was having regular problems with cruise control like several other owners, virtually every long trip.

About 6 weeks ago I opened up the fuse box & pushed all fuses firmly in. I have had no problems since (touch wood) doing regular 400k round trips using C Control.

I wonder if this may contribute to other electronic faults mentioned, especially after driving on corrigations which might disturb the fuses slightly ?

Post #10918912th Dec 2006 10:31 am
10forcash

There's an early TSB relating to poor connections in the BJB
No.LA414-001V2 16 December 2005
Discovery 3/LR3 - Battery Junction Box Connections
VIN-range: 5A000259 Onwards

A customer may report a concern of various warning lamps being displayed on the instrument pack, or inoperative electrical circuits and diagnosis indicates to a power supply problem.

Cause: The above complaint maybe as a result of a poor connection, damaged or dislodged terminal in the battery junction box.

Post #10923412th Dec 2006 3:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >