DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Bailey Olympus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
Bailey Olympus

Folks

I've ben trying to decide on a new caravan, and initialy wanted a twin dinette layout, as thats what we've had in the last 3 'vans, and liked this layout, so it was either a new Coachman Amara 655, a 12month old Coachman Laser 655, or now, a new bailey Olympus 620-6.

I know the bailey is a lower spec than the coachman (well the Laser), but we have rather taken to its layout, with both a fixed bed and front and side dinnete.

Can I get some constructive opinion of the new baileys please (and yes, its not going to win any fshion shows with its rather blunt front end)

Cheers guys

PS - Abbey Spectrum still for sale (see for sale section), as I was going to trade it, but got beaten to a Laser two weeks ago.

Cheers
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Last edited by al cope on 28th Jan 2012 6:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #88976928th Jan 2012 5:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NicSymonds

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Al,

I have a 2011 Bailey Unicorn Barcelona. It's a similar layout to the Olympus, without the side dinette. This is our third Bailey, and by far the best we have had. The wife moans a bit if I have to clamber out of bed in the night as it means climbing over her, but apart from that it's comfortable, the Alde heating system is excellent, there's loads of cupboard space and it's easy to tow.

Hope this helps, Nic

Post #88978228th Jan 2012 6:04 pm
al cope

England 

Cheers Nic

I would prefer a slightly higher spec than the Olympus, but Bailey dont do it in any other of their ranges.

I've just found a sterling eccles amethyst in the same layout though, so might take a look at one of those as well.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #88978628th Jan 2012 6:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
which caravan

hi al
ref the olympus,personally i would go for the bailey.it will have a full man warranty and 10 years on the body.i had a senator louisiana t/a for 2 years which was a very good van,due to house move it was too long for my drive so as i was happy with the brand pxd it for a senator indiana fixed bed a love it,loads of room for swmbo me and dog and cat we use it for 4 months a year,another good thing with bailey,s,when the roof needs a clean and polish you can walk around up there no problem.
good luck
sandy
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #89019629th Jan 2012 5:21 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Al we have a 2011 Unicorn Barcelona 12 months old next month and we love it very very happy with it so far.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #89019829th Jan 2012 5:24 pm
al cope

England 

cheers guys

for the money, although a lower spec than we've been used to, the Bailey is very good - just wish it wasnt pig ugly Whistle

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #89022629th Jan 2012 6:21 pm
mzplcg

England 

Al, SWMBO and me went through the exact same dilemna last year. We had to get rid of the Elddis 'cos it was falling apart and we were down to Bailey or Coachman.

Anyway, ended up with a different layout but it was the Coachman all the way. There was just this feeling that the Bailey is kind of the Model-T Ford. Not a lot of choices and every one built to the same spec. Nothing wrong per se, just a feeling that it wasn't quite enough. Very much a case of pile 'em high......

The Coachman was just a more homely experience and whilst I was going to have the twin dinette 655/6 Laser, I ended up with the Olympia (Amara) 640/6 (Olympia 640/6 is a Raymond James dealer special) which is perfect for our needs. Properly put together as well which is a really nice change after the Elddis.

I do like the idea of the Alu-Tech construction though. Seems like some proper progress and Bailey do seem to be pushing the boundaries a bit more. Mind you, they really do need to shoot their upholstery stylist. Laughing Laughing

Dom.

Post #89025029th Jan 2012 6:40 pm
Chippy

England 

Hi Al

We have a bailey 646 pegasus and it great, tows good and the build quality is about the same as the other makes out there. There is how ever a couple of problem to consider DENTS. The ali body dents really easy you only need a stone to flick up and hay presto you have a 50 pence size dent. We brought a towing bib and that solved the problem cost £100, money well spent.

The only other issue we have found is when we go away in the winter the ali window frames suffer with condensation, Bailey were not exactly helpful when I emailed them, just telling me to increase the air flow through the van. We had already tried this but it didn't stop it completely, but there are 6 of us in it.

Even though we have those two niggles it's a lovely van and I would not think twice about having another one.

Hope this helps
Chippy Thumbs Up

Post #89030529th Jan 2012 7:38 pm
al cope

England 

well head ruled heart - gone for the Bailey 620-6. not quite the looker that the swift or sterling are from the outside, but much as I tried, I couldnt justify 4 grand more for some toys and slighty better external looks.

must say, with the alutec body and squarer front and rear ends, it does look a bit of a beast, even though its not any longer than our current Abbey.

also, as a nice aside, its colour graphics matched the Disco's teal colour as well Thumbs Up

(just showing my feminine side by colour coding the 'van to the car - the Abbey's green graphics matched with the D2 and 1st D3 in Tonga, now this matched the latest D3 - scatter cushions anybody??)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #89071030th Jan 2012 4:33 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good shout on the bailey.

We changed from a swift to a bailey unicorn. The entire van feels so more solid and I am a huge fan of the alu tech construction. Anything that removes wood from the van is a good thing.

Had the van for 6 months now and not had one problem in around 4000 miles of towing.

It tows beautifully in fact far more stable than the swift ever was .

Good luck with the new van !!!

Post #8933465th Feb 2012 6:12 pm
al cope

England 

well, picked it up today - just need to put the 2 ton of stuff we took out of the old one back in - where did this lot come from Shocked

how soon can we get awy and try it - feel like a kid in a candy shop (like I was when buying the car)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #8943327th Feb 2012 7:49 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Al

Congrats on the new van . Great choice on the bailey.

Lol know what you mean about stuff, we filled our navara to the brim when we changed vans, not sure where it was all hidden lol

You got some trips planned yet ?

How was the tow ?

Post #8943437th Feb 2012 8:01 pm
al cope

England 

it was only 1/ mile from the dealers, so couldnt tell - felt lighter (but it would without all the junk in it Whistle )

Given its on the same Alko chassis (size) as the Abbey, it seem bigger overall, I guess mainly due to its very upright front and back ends.

try and organise an outing as soon as I can.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #8949949th Feb 2012 8:11 am
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

al cope wrote:
just need to put the 2 ton of stuff we took out of the old one back in - where did this lot come from :shock:Al

Tell me about it Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #8950059th Feb 2012 8:44 am
Pelyma

England 

How do you get on with all the bolts that need tightening on the body for each year? Are people having this done or just ignoring the fact?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #8950409th Feb 2012 10:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >