Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

Basics required for off roading and Safari in Africa?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jdwood38

Kenya 
Basics required for off roading and Safari in Africa?

Evening guys,

I've been having a great time reading through all the forums and the excellent information as I will very soon becoming a D3 owner. I've had to buy one out of necessity really as I will be moving to Kenya in the next few months for work. I had the option of various 4x4's but settled on a D3. The traffic in Kenya is horrendous and as I will be spending a lot of my time sat in it, I wanted something a bit more comfy than a Defender but still something that should be good at Off Roading. I have settled on a 57 HSE in Stornoway grey. It's my first ever LR (or anything even like it!) and I'm very much looking forward to picking it up in the next couple weeks, although I will only have use of it for a short period before it goes off to the export agent! I am getting the dealer to fit front and rear light guards, 'A' protection bar and snorkel. I plan on getting a Prospeed expedition roof rack, rear ladder, awning, second battery and driving lights before going (undecided on front or roof driving lights).

I'd be very grateful if anyone could give me any ideas on what other things I should get for basic Off Roading and Safari's/expeditions? Accessories, other equipment, tyres etc would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for the help and keep up the good work!

Post #110594319th May 2013 7:56 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

The best addition you can get if you're new to off roading is some training. Doing a BORDA course will give you some pointers and some skills but you can't beat getting to an off road centre and getting some practice in. There are loads to choose from, look for BORDA approved ( Just MHO) and you'll have a blast, learn loads and have a better chance of keeping out of trouble Smile

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #110597119th May 2013 8:49 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I'd be fitting an ARB winch bumper for proper front impact protection either in the bush or in the town!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #110601719th May 2013 9:55 pm
jdwood38

Kenya 

Steve, that's a great idea, it didn't even cross my mind! Do these courses allow/require you to do them in your own car or is there a good chance they would have a D3 I could get used to? Will have a search what's around.

James, I imagine it would get a lot more use in the town! Wink Will have a look at what these cost.

Thanks both.

Post #110651520th May 2013 9:46 pm
GoBeyond

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'm out in Malawi at the moment, without D3 !

I would make sure you have decent tyres. Ensure your car has full size spare, with maybe an additional spare wheel. Especially if your spending time out in the bush ! I would also get a Sprinter bottle jack, you'll see posts on here !

As there is distinct lack of a dealer network, I would look at getting fault code reader.

Loads of options Thumbs Up
 There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes.  
Post #110659121st May 2013 5:54 am
DIEGUS

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

I would like an extra fuel tank.

Thumbs Up
 Diego  
Post #11119873rd Jun 2013 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

First?

A bucket

A bucket full of common sense and humour! Thumbs Up

Ensure your tyres are a common size reasonably readily available where you are going.

A decent tyre repair kit and a good compressor to inflate your tyres.

Brendan

Post #11122173rd Jun 2013 7:50 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

jdwood38 wrote:
Steve, that's a great idea, it didn't even cross my mind! Do these courses allow/require you to do them in your own car or is there a good chance they would have a D3 I could get used to? Will have a search what's around.

James, I imagine it would get a lot more use in the town! Wink Will have a look at what these cost.

Thanks both.

If you go to Land Rover Experience (LRE) it will be in a LR of your choosing (i.e. a Disco in your case). Various around the country. I did a one day course before I got my car - had a great time. I also got lucky because although I booked a shared one day session I ended up just on my own so the instructor got to show me far more than they would normally cover when sharing. (He showed me all the variations from using the terrain response to taking over manually and - as far as you can - doing it yourself.)

Post #11122373rd Jun 2013 8:34 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Firstly you must have a EURO III < if you go TDV6 as the diesel is not to spec as you are used to. It will
run on 500ppm happly, we don't get the euro iv TDV6 or SDV6 in SA at present.
Have a second fuel filter fitted, like a Racor, which have the water repelant type filter cartridges because
of water condensation from diesel bowzers seldom used and on off the beaten track.
I would do the 2SO ( two stroke oil ) thing as some of these guys like to lace the fuel with parafin and other
things to boost profits.
Fit AT tyres for the stronger casings for pot holes etc.
A bull bar will be a better bet than a protection frame when you see how some of them drive and animals
which sleep in the roads.
I would also go with a set of suspension lift rods, as bush driving you will find the middle man can be very high
then you are stuck to 35Kph in the offroad setting.
Have a punture repair kit, compressor, good quality recovery kit, the recovery points on the D3 are plenty
strong, so no need to have up grades fitted.
I see the jack has been mentioned, but get a proper wheel spanner.
Hope this helps.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #11126214th Jun 2013 2:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rjcarte

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up for the land rover experience.. did the normal 1-day experience and came back and did the advanced. Pretty much got around Eastnor in a LR Defender in lo-range in 2nd gear with my feet off the pedals! awesome stuff...

Post #11134656th Jun 2013 9:05 am
kp

United Kingdom 

As above a good course is needed before you go.

Then some good AT tyres with 2 spares on rims as well.
ARB bumper up front with soft a bar should be strong enough for most stuff.
RAI as the dust is shocking out there
secondary fuel filter as above.

I'd take at least 4 Jerrys with you with good UK fuel in them, maybe 5 for the sake of it and make sure they are strapped down.
Take 2 replacement air filters and cabin filters and make sure the RAI is fully sealed as per info on here Smile
Bottle jack from a merc sprinter modified to fit and a small piece of 1/2 thick wood 1'*1' to support it on in soft ground.
2-3 Waffle boards or sand mats and some long string to tie them to the recovery point as well.
Duct Tape
about 20-40litres of water and water cleaning tablets.
Plenty of sun cream, pref Factor Burger off Wink
Underbody protection as well is good. while it adds weight it could save your disco!
12v compressor and tyre sealent.
Good detail before you go to help protect the paintwork in the arduous conditions.
Decent sized 12v fridge for some tinnies and cold water. Never under estimate how good it feels to drink chilled water in the heat!
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #11135566th Jun 2013 12:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >