Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Battery reset ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ratrunner

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Battery reset ?

I have recently changed the stop start battery, however the SS still does not work. I have been told I need to reprogram the battery system. I have the icarsoft 2 and I have been told this can do this. Is this easy to do, what is the procedure ? thanks fellas

Post #220584527th Jan 2021 6:03 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If the SS doesn’t work without a fault light it the main battery low on charge or low on amps.
If the SS doesn’t work with a fault light on it’s the secondary (small battery), of course there could be other faults.
The SS system is an excellent guide to the state of the batteries.
No need to re-set anything, it will sort itself out after fitting a new battery, just takes a little longer Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220588227th Jan 2021 7:59 pm
ratrunner

Thanks,I have replaced the SS battery as I thought that was where the problem was, however still not operating. I have fully charged the maim battery on the Ztec and still not operating, so do you still think it possible the main battery needs replacing ? even though it has been fully charged, the battery is now five years old but the cars mileage is 18,080and shows no symptoms of a duff battery. My thinking is that the next move is a main battery change.

Post #220598928th Jan 2021 9:29 am
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Yes. Change the main battery.
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #220599028th Jan 2021 9:31 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Towards the end of my main battery (5 years), even a charge to full with the CTEK would not fix it. The car showed no other symptoms. What decided it for me was when it went in for work and the garage said that it could do with a new battery. So if you want stop/start to work then would suggest you change it.
With the new battery in, I noticed the turn over and start was noticeably quicker.
If you’re worried about spending your money too soon, think of it this way. If a new battery is £200 and you are doing it 6 months early, you might be wasting £16 ( based on a 5 year life). That seems like a small price to pay for assured starting and avoiding the miriad of issues that the D4 seems to throw up when it has battery issues. It’s also Winter, which can kill off aging batteries.
Regarding your comment on miles. I would say it’s age with batteries. The low miles you state may well be a further problem rather than an advantage ( unless you’re charging regularly manually).
One general piece of advice I saw for checking battery condition was to look at the volt drop on the battery as you start the car. If this drops to 10v then battery needs replacing. It’s probably a higher threshold on the D4 (given it’s sensitivity to battery issues) .
Always interested to see how things go and what you find so keep us updated.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #220601528th Jan 2021 10:55 am
ratrunner

Thanks for that Gary, Ok so I think I will change the main battery. Is it ok to do this yourself, is it just a straight swop and off I go, or will I then have to reset the battery as I have been informed I need to do ? Thumbs Up

Post #220603828th Jan 2021 11:49 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I've been through this last year and replaced both batteries.

I discovered the following:
If either the Main battery or aux battery don't have enough charge then Stop Start won't work.

The car will only charge the Aux battery when the main battery is completely 'Full', so if the main battery is on it's way out the Aux won't ever get charged.

You can't charge the Aux through the main battery with a charger, it must be connected directly to the Aux.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #220605328th Jan 2021 12:30 pm
ratrunner

Thumbs Up

Post #220608428th Jan 2021 2:35 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ratrunner
The technical advice is that a BMS reset is required. For this reason I did not change the main battery myself but took it to a Indy who changed it and did the reset for me (whilst doing other works). I had no means of doing it myself at the time (subsequently I purchased an IID tool second hand on the basis that I may well recoup the cost of it when I sell it in the future).

There are people on here who advise that you don't need to do the BMS reset and that it will sort itself out over time and they have done this , it appears , wiothout any issues. I don't know know what the effect of not doing a BMS reset is. Perhaps others more technical and knowledgeable will come along and inform us.

As part of looking into a main battery change, I did talk to Halfords who said they do a reset as part of the fitting process on the Discovery. You have to pay extra for the fitting , of course, and their web site advises the cost. Their batteries are well thought of and come with a good solid warranty from what I have read on here.
Good luck
Take care
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #220615828th Jan 2021 8:13 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ratrunner wrote:
Thanks for that Gary, Ok so I think I will change the main battery. Is it ok to do this yourself, is it just a straight swop and off I go, or will I then have to reset the battery as I have been informed I need to do ? Thumbs Up

Even though a battery can show a voltage of 13+volts it still may not be fully charged, voltage only shows the current, you need amps(power) to start the car and operate the SS system, e.g. a new 12volt torch battery will not start an engine.
There is no need to reset anything the system will quickly adapt to a new battery.
Halfords batteries are good (not the cheapest), so is there warranty and service particularly if you suffer from a weak back Laughing , you must keep the receipt safe.
If you fit it yourself lower the car to access height and put the bonnet in super extended mode Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220616628th Jan 2021 8:31 pm
ratrunner

Thanks fellas great information Thumbs Up

Post #220617528th Jan 2021 9:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >