Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

BCB post-Weardale maintenance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
BCB post-Weardale maintenance

I took a quick look under my D3 today (for the first time since offroading on sunday... Bad boy Embarassed Embarassed )

The reason for looking underneath was some loud rumbling/rattling when the engine was idling, caused by this sitting somewhere between the rear diff and the exhaust pipes:

Further investigation showed that I seem to have given the exhaust pipe shielding a bit of a battering on the latest trip:

Anyone think this is worth worrying about?

Sweeping the mud off the drive, I found a small puddle of water:

Where do you think this is emanating from? It smells/tastes fresh, so I think it must just have been trapped somewhere (under the layers of mud). Any thoughts on this?

Finally, I find the handbook a bit vague on where should my coolant be topped up to... Right now, it looks like this:

TIA
Rob

Post #16124124th May 2007 5:22 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Water is most likely coming from the air conditioning I'd say.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #16124224th May 2007 5:25 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Jeez, how dumb am I? It didn't even occur to me. I'm certainly not going to worry about that then!

Post #16124724th May 2007 5:31 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

BCB, if the aircon was off then you should worry Laughing It could also be water that is slowly draining out after all that ford wading and puddle stamping in the quarry! What is the bit that fell off - RRS has 2 plastic defelectors in front of the spare wheel to smooth the airflow round it (at least that's the only reason I can think of for them being there) and they are easily damaged when you get near to no ground clearance.

Your coolant reservoir looks very sismilar to the level in mine when the engine is cold - I asked the dealer after the 1st service last year as I kept getting the low coolant warning coming up after they had drained the system to instal a missing fuel burning heater. They told me that what I thought was rather low was actually "normal" and after all the airlocks in the cooling system (they didn't bother to do the refill properly) my level has stayed as low as that since.

I haven't cleaned the 90 since last wekend either - prefer to do it the "environmentally friendly" way and have been letting the recent heavy rain showers we have had in these parts do the job of cleaning the topsides for me! As the 90 will be offroading again tomorrow and all this weekend then I'll wait until Monday before upsetting the old lady who lives next door when I wash all the mud off from underneath.......................really gets her would up even though I wash the under neath of the 90 on my own drive so the mud doesn't block the street drain outside my house. Once the heavy bits have been blasted out I take a run down to Loch Lomond and drive into the water and blast up and down in the shallows cleaning the rest out Whistle
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #16126424th May 2007 6:58 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

we wondered what was ratling round cant imagine how that rock got there you didnt scrape to much Thumbs Up

Post #16127724th May 2007 7:26 pm
DiscoStu

England 
Re: BCB post-Weardale maintenance

bobbycrispbox wrote:
Finally, I find the handbook

I thought the rock was a bit unusual Shocked Laughing

After this and DG's post, I think I'll have a good spring clean underneath. Been cleaning the outside today. Found a big chip Sad and a great big scratch on the moulding at the bottom of the passenger side door Sad Sad
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #16127924th May 2007 7:36 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Mechanically, everything seems pretty sound at the moment (although granted the mantec plate is absolutely stuffed with mud, and the doors are all filthy) so I'll delay the big clean until after the 'Mars' trip. Besides, it does get a few second looks as I drive about, and that's always nice Smile

Post #16130824th May 2007 9:20 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

mick wrote:
we wondered what was ratling round cant imagine how that rock got there you didnt scrape to much Thumbs Up

I reckon most of the mud stuffed into the crevices and the damage to the 'underbody wind deflectors', and the addition of a small rock to the diff assembly was probably all down to my three failed (and one successful!) attempts to get up that deeply rutted track on the Saturday.
Edit: This one:

Most of the other stuff I did kept the body well clear of the ground, except maybe the lip of side of the quarry.

Post #16131024th May 2007 9:25 pm
mick

have a good weekend at mars Thumbs Up

Post #16131924th May 2007 10:01 pm
mick

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Once the heavy bits have been blasted out I take a run down to Loch Lomond and drive into the water and blast up and down in the shallows cleaning the rest out Whistle

Tim make sure you watch out for the Loch patrol they will be out to catch you speeding with there new boat and lazer gun Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #16132124th May 2007 10:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >