DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Big job turned bigger
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ostosix

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Big job turned bigger

Hi folks,
Just thought i would fill you in on my 2005 latest efforts.

Started off with an aim to do;
1)Upper and lower REAR suspension arms,
2)EPB makeover and replacement of handbrake cables,
3)de-rust and paint spare wheel chassis area,
4)all four corners brake lines and hoses kit from AF.
5)RH rear wheel bearing(i’d done LH rear last year) and new brake backing plate.

When i was expecting time off longterm in zombie pandemic i bought all front lower arm bushes and track rods with gators, drop links and roll bar bushes but we got no time at home so didn’t get it done. I think i’ll need the truck soonish so i’ll see how i am for time, so might get onto that too but priority back end.

I have a hydraulic press so aimed to do rear arms by just replacing bushes. Arms are a bit pricey which works out if your paying garage labour rates but not worth it as a DIY’er. Honestly the press is one of the most useful tools i’ve got, i literally love the thing. 30tons, not that you need that tonnage but a bigger press gives you a bigger working area. It puts a lot of jobs on the radar. I’ve straighten trailer ramps with it before so bigger is better.

I had watched a video and found the ultimate top tip. A chap said to pryoff/snap the captive nut tangs, so you can undo the nuts, all 24mm, and avoid overcoming the corrosion between bush and bolt.

Previously id jacked up and removed everything including RH hub. And brake lines/hoses. I have to say, the trick worked a treat. I got all four arms out including the LH hub, 2 hours no cutting. Normally when i do car jobs it takes an age do it was great to ace it for once.

Next couple of days, around work and kids i attacked back area with needle gun. I can’t recommend these enough get through the rust easy with out too much aggression. With the arms out (while i wait for parts from another forum member) i moved up having decided to do as much of the chassis as i could.

Id also took the rusty old side steps off, and notice the suspension aid reservoir was pretty shabby as well so removed that for clean up and paint.

Today i was getting stuck in when i found this soft bit.

Post #229267722nd May 2022 10:51 pm
ostosix

I stripped out drive shafts and exhaust. Tmrw i’ll take out shock struts to get full access.

Heres another shot, its also same area on both sides. Presume this is a common area to go, i’ll get on sith that and keep you posted. Any pointers welcome.

All bushes x8 are out of rear arms now. Toughest ones took 15 ton to get out. I used one of those kits from ebay as the sleeves are the most awkward to fine with pressing.

One area at rear of sill needs welding to but nothing special there.

Post #229267922nd May 2022 11:01 pm
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Good effort!

I have seen rust holes in that area before
 Series one 1949 - in bits, chassis is strapped to the ceiling in my garage (beside the canoe)
LR 90 - In bits
Disco 3 - currently in bits 

Post #229268122nd May 2022 11:54 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

That has got some pretty impressive rust all over!

Post #229270123rd May 2022 7:26 am
ostosix

Rust

It's all solid apart from those areas. That's been hit with the needle gun on everything that you can see so the paint/ primer has all come off.

Rear wheel arches are pretty decent too. A few area's i'll repaint then seal. Overall I'm really happy with condition for a 2005 vehicle which hasn't given me any real issues in my five years of ownership.

I just can't afford to replace this truck with anything younger which would be significantly better for heavy trailers and tin tent.

Post #229271523rd May 2022 9:45 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Once repaired get some Bilt Hamber wax on it, decent stuff.

Tip I have used for years on wheel arches, is to get a handful of grease and work it into the arch/lip area, lasts well and as the grease sweats it stops any rust dead.
Did my rear arches last weekend, slathered some grease on, wiped of any grease that could get on peoples clothes, cut some new cheap edging trim off ebay, job done.

Mines an 06 and seems to be holding up well so far.

Post #229280724th May 2022 7:26 am
ostosix

Yeah will do thanks, there's an art to keeping an old car sweet

Post #229281324th May 2022 7:57 am
ostosix

Well finally found some time this afternoon. I’ve got a runaround now so not so much rush with the fuel price.

Started doing some cutting out the bad bits. Decided to chop the brackets for the rear arm and remake the piece as new rather than patch up little holes.

Used 50x 100mm box section 3mm thick, original forging is 4, but i figure 3mm solid and done properly will be better than 4mm rusted to 2,1 or none.

The puzzle was making the box from 50 to 70mm so you can see how i split it. I’ll strap that one after ive copied it for a pattern for one for the other side.

Post #22983353rd Jul 2022 7:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >